Avi ... the man nobody's discussing YET

greg775

My favorite player, Avi, is off to a horrible start. He's 13 for 56 which is a lousy .232 batting average with 1 homer and 3 RBI and just 5 runs scored. His OBP is .254 and OPS is .594. I assume his advanced stats reek.

If my memory is correct, he raked almost all last season, really having no bad slumps. I ask you to NOT say this was inevitable because of BAPIP and instead talk to a non statnik here and give me your take on Avi.

I prefer to blame Ricky for inexplicably batting him second. If ever a man was NOT a prototypical No. 2 hitter it's Avi. Ricky messed with him and it is NOT WORKING. Yet Ricky has him stuck at second in the order as if it is something that has to happen. Cal Ripken used to play every day no exceptions; Avi will bat second no exceptions despite his reeking.

My final question: Is Avi a victim of the Sox organization being clueless or is he just another guy who will be remembered as having one good season? Who is Avi Garcia? I'm sad cause I thought he was a star and now I'm wondering if he's merely Viciedo who tries hard.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 12:41 PM)
My favorite player, Avi, is off to a horrible start. He's 13 for 56 which is a lousy .232 batting average with 1 homer and 3 RBI and just 5 runs scored. His OBP is .254 and OPS is .594. I assume his advanced stats reek.

If my memory is correct, he raked almost all last season, really having no bad slumps. I ask you to NOT say this was inevitable because of BAPIP and instead talk to a non statnik here and give me your take on Avi.

I prefer to blame Ricky for inexplicably batting him second. If ever a man was NOT a prototypical No. 2 hitter it's Avi. Ricky messed with him and it is NOT WORKING. Yet Ricky has him stuck at second in the order as if it is something that has to happen. Cal Ripken used to play every day no exceptions; Avi will bat second no exceptions despite his reeking.

My final question: Is Avi a victim of the Sox organization being clueless or is he just another guy who will be remembered as having one good season? Who is Avi Garcia? I'm sad cause I thought he was a star and now I'm wondering if he's merely Viciedo who tries hard.

He's not really a "prototypical" middle of the order bat either with the lack of power.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 01:15 PM)
Saw this on Twitter today.

But, we shouldn't use stats in this thread and instead blame the manager for batting him in a place in the order that has no barring on performance.

Carry on.

Not sure how much it matters as he's beating the ball right into the ground. He's 58% of his batted balls are grounders. That is not going to work. Also hasn't taken a single walk all year. That is also not going to work.

He's a 270/320/420 hitter that lucked into a great year. Is what it is. I just hope his value doesn't completely crater before they can deal him at the deadline for a B- level prospect, maybe a toolsy IF type.

Avi sucks, always has and rode an extreme babip outlier to a decent season. He's a below replacement level player and always was. To think anyone is or was going to give the Sox anything other than a bag of used baseballs for him is a pipedream. Next.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Scoots @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 02:10 PM)
Is it though? Look at how much Davidson is walking and he's not hitting very well right now either.

Matt Davidson is sporting a .354 OBP and an OPS+ of 168 despite a .195 average. So, yes, it makes an enormous difference.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 02:10 PM)
Is it though? Look at how much Davidson is walking and he's not hitting very well right now either.

let me clarify - I think Avi's lack of walks are his biggest offensive problem right now.

Then again, I expect Avi to be a .270 hitter and he's having a somewhat cold April

In no way do I expect Avi to be a .330 or even .300 hitter this season.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 05:49 PM)
To answer your question Avi Garcia is a .250-.270 hitter who had one season where a lot of balls dropped in.

Man. I beg to differ. I'm no advanced statnik so I have no proof but my MLB dollars fed my eyes last year and he crushed so many hits.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 06:15 PM)
Saw this on Twitter today.

But, we shouldn't use stats in this thread and instead blame the manager for batting him in a place in the order that has no barring on performance.

Carry on.

You sound like somebody mad I started a new thread. Remember when I said, "Start a new thread at your own risk?" People don't like new threads. Why so mean? I am an Avi lover not a hater. I quoted some stats in my original post. You are just crabby IMO.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 06:47 PM)
Not sure how much it matters as he's beating the ball right into the ground. He's 58% of his batted balls are grounders. That is not going to work. Also hasn't taken a single walk all year. That is also not going to work.

He's a 270/320/420 hitter that lucked into a great year. Is what it is. I just hope his value doesn't completely crater before they can deal him at the deadline for a B- level prospect, maybe a toolsy IF type.

No matter what happens I don't think he lucked into a great year. He was pretty good the whole way through. I think he had a slump in August or something but then he finished strong strong strong again.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 06:55 PM)
Avi sucks, always has and rode an extreme babip outlier to a decent season. He's a below replacement level player and always was. To think anyone is or was going to give the Sox anything other than a bag of used baseballs for him is a pipedream. Next.

I don't think he's as bad as you suggest, but if he hits like this all year he's DFA candidate like Viciedo.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 07:10 PM)

I'm a Davidson lover disappointed with his start.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 07:52 PM)
So many hot takes.

Yes sir. Moral: New thread starters are not beloved.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 08:51 PM)
Avi's always had an absolute ton of red flags at the plate and on the field. I haven't liked him since the first time I saw his swing.

Interesting. I respect this take.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 09:25 PM)
Lol Greg, only you could love Davidson after his horrible 2017 but be disappointed in him after a much improved start to 2018.

He's 8 for 41 which is .195. 10 RBI in 12 games is good. Five homers is good. However ... he had 3 of the homers and 5 of the RBI in one game. Yikes. 2 HRs and 5 RBI in the last 11 games. Remember I am not a statnik. I like the walks obviously and I still worship Davidson, but ... disappointment is creeping in because of my fan eyetest.

I'm glad I'm not controlled by advanced stats. His first season he has 26 HRS and 68 RBI in 443 at bats. Before advanced stats that was rookie of the year contention, baby.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 03:38 PM)
He's 8 for 41 which is .195. 10 RBI in 12 games is good. Five homers is good. However ... he had 3 of the homers and 5 of the RBI in one game. Yikes. 2 HRs and 5 RBI in the last 11 games. Remember I am not a statnik. I like the walks obviously and I still worship Davidson, but ... disappointment is creeping in because of my fan eyetest.

I'm glad I'm not controlled by advanced stats. His first season he has 26 HRS and 68 RBI in 443 at bats. Before advanced stats that was rookie of the year contention, baby.

You are unbelievable.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 04:38 PM)

His wRC+ is basically double what it was last year (165 vs. 83), but since you're not a "statnik" let's project his current traditional stats over 443 plate appearances so we can compare to last year.

2017 Actuals: 26 HR, 68 RBI, 19 BB, 165 SO

2018 Forecast: 43 HR, 85 RBI, 85 BB, 153 SO

But I get it, that .190 batting average is real concerning compared to the robust .220 he posted last year. Certainly that .118 point differential in BABIP will not normalize over the course of the year.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 11:44 PM)
Greg, in all seriousness, how could you question the relevance of BABIP as a stat?

I mean of all the stats we track in baseball, including ones like RBI that have been around for decades, questioning this one seems...strange.

Good question and politely worded! I like. ... I don't mind BABIP but I tired of it in relation to Avi. I am not of the opinion he HAD to stink this year after last year's out of whack BABIP. I think he still could have hit .315 with a lot of bombs and RBI. For example ... there must be examples of current STARS who had large BABIP numbers 2-3 seasons in a row. There have to be, right?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 11:56 PM)
You are unbelievable.

Geez.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 12:12 AM)
not a statnik but has no problem removing the three homeruns on opening day because it doesn't fit his "eye test".

unbelievable is right.

I like Davidson, remember? Also there has to be common sense here. If a guy hit 3 of his 5 homers on Opening Day and had five of his 10 RBI on Opening Day? That's one fricking game. In the last 10 he has 2 homers and 5 RBI. The homer total is still OK but cmon. He's really dropped off since Game One. I mean there has to be some consideration of this.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 12:12 AM)
His wRC+ is basically double what it was last year (165 vs. 83), but since you're not a "statnik" let's project his current traditional stats over 443 plate appearances so we can compare to last year.

2017 Actuals: 26 HR, 68 RBI, 19 BB, 165 SO

2018 Forecast: 43 HR, 85 RBI, 85 BB, 153 SO

But I get it, that .190 batting average is real concerning compared to the robust .220 he posted last year. Certainly that .118 point differential in BABIP will not normalize over the course of the year.

I like the 2018 forecast. If he can hit 43 bombs, nice. I just want to see some ropes from Davidson. He's had one good game for gawd's sake.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 12:17 AM)
I also enjoy the fact that “not a statnik” means “I am purposely being uniformed and uneducated on this issue, and I’m OK with it.”

This thread was literally created saying “Please tell me what you think of Avi, but please don’t use any data points or critical thinking, just what you feel.”

I did want some "human" comments about what yu all think of Avi. I didn't want a barrage of only BABIP comments. Yes I wanted pure human emotion in some responses. I would think new threads would be welcomed, but in my opinion, start a thread and u better duck. Cause the debris is gonna be flying at your head soon if you dare start a thread.

Edited by greg775