How awful is this team?

Buehrle>Wood

As I said in the game thread I'm 34 and this is the worst Sox pitching staff I can remember in my lifetime top to bottom. Of the 13 pitchers on the roster you've maybe got 4-5 that are MLB quality.

This has been a clinic in how to ruin casual fan interest within 3 weeks

I feel like I've already watched my fill and I'm a pretty hardcore fan. The last three games have taken a toll. I'll keep watching but man, this is really rough. The lowest point of the rebuild for me as a fan has been the last few games.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2018 -> 01:41 AM)
Welcome to rebuilding. Now imagine trying to do with without the jump start from Sale/Eaton/Quintana.

Yep I actually didn't mind Oakland series in terms of development. Yoan looked great, as did Lopez. Basically everyone that sucked in Oakland won't be around in two years.

I remember the 1970 team that lost 106 games. Unless things change I can see this 2018 team losing more games than the 1970 team. Some of the things done by this organization the last few years gives me the impression that they not interested in winning anytime soon. This is being done all in the name of rebuilding. I still think we're going to have a new owner here in the next 2 years. At least I hope so. This present situation looks absolutely hopeless and it looks like this can go on for years.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 09:50 PM)
I remember the 1970 team that lost 106 games. Unless things change I can see this 2018 team losing more games than the 1970 team. Some of the things done by this organization the last few years gives me the impression that they not interested in winning anytime soon. This is being done all in the name of rebuilding. I still think we're going to have a new owner here in the next 2 years. At least I hope so. This present situation looks absolutely hopeless and it looks like this can go on for years.

Eh, go check out that MiLB gamethreader. Look I'm as guilty as most of b****ing and moaning about the games and the players on the field and anybody watching the games has to feel the same way at times. This team f***ing sucks right now and you've got probably 1/3 of the 25 man roster as dead weight. But it's by design!

The minor league system is absolutely stacked and a lot of this dead wood will be off the roster not just in a year or two but probably this summer.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Most rebuilds (see Astros/Cubs/Royals) take at least 3 years and more often 4 or 5 years to pull off.

We're just in year 2, and really only 1 1/2 years into the process. (Cubs and Astros have caused everyone to believe it's relatively easy to jump that timeframe making the playoffs up by a year or two, unfortunately.)

This was always going to be the worst year.

Realistically, the two most important players are doing fairly well (Moncada/Anderson) and Delmonico/Davidson/Sanchez are holding their own.

We can be a BIT disappointed in Giolito's stuff (but look at the fact that he's pitched in terrible weather...if he hasn't improved by the end of May when he can get a much better grip on the ball, then we can bemoan it.) Lopez has been even better. Fulmer as expected after the brief blip to end last year. He ends up in the bullpen.

The one possible trade chip that could have had some value was Avi, and he's definitely come out slow...but is that a total surprise with all the statistical warning signs/red flags from last year?

Everyone else is basically going to be replaced. Maybe Bummer makes it, or Rondon. Nate Jones is undoubtedly trade bait with his injury history. Soria and Avilan will be recycled, if possible.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 06:45 PM)
Yep I actually didn't mind Oakland series in terms of development. Yoan looked great, as did Lopez. Basically everyone that sucked in Oakland won't be around in two years.

I agree. While I do think it is important that we start winning at some point, as these are human beings and not robots, from the perspective of development, the series in Oakland was much more favorable than the games against Detroit, for instance.

This team basically needs to be evaluated similarly to a minor league club. You are looking for development more so than win-loss results.

I don't get it. Today was fun. This is about to be the most fun team we've had to watch in quite a few years. Especially when Kopech, Jiminez... etc... also come up.

This is what rebuilding is dude. Watching and looking for wins is doing it wrong.

Looking forward to seeing our youth grow over the course of this season. Including Rodon when he comes back.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 10:06 PM)
good summary caulfield of the long view.

I got upset for a few minutes (because I woke up at 330 a.m. and followed the game all the way from home to work, and then knew it was over when Shields came in)....also, pissed over the first DET game when we seemed to have some positive momentum going to start the season as well. It would have been nice to be "in the race" until the beginning of June, but there's just no way we can hang with the Indians or Twins this year, so better to dispel that notion ASAP I guess.

Then I reflected back to how pissed I was for 2-3 days after that stupid Carlos Gomez game in late 2008 and it just hit me that it's probably better to stop hoping for this team to be even "relatively" competitive, meaning 72-76 wins.

We have a lot to look forward to, especially Kopech and Jimenez. Moncada was impacting the game in so many different ways, you see that light at the end of the tunnel when he cuts his K rate down to the low 30's (hopefully).

The minor league injuries have been disappointing, but what can you possibly do when you've had one of the best injury/DL histories of any organization in baseball over the last 30 or 40 years?

Even if we won the first Detroit game and this last one against the A's, we're still at 6-9, so it's not like that would encourage thousands more fans to show up at the ballpark, especially before school lets out. It didn't REALLY effect attendance that much two years ago when we started off 23-10 and were in 1st place.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 09:02 PM)
Most rebuilds (see Astros/Cubs/Royals) take at least 3 years and more often 4 or 5 years to pull off.

We're just in year 2, and really only 1 1/2 years into the process. (Cubs and Astros have caused everyone to believe it's relatively easy to jump that timeframe making the playoffs up by a year or two, unfortunately.)

This was always going to be the worst year.

Realistically, the two most important players are doing fairly well (Moncada/Anderson) and Delmonico/Davidson/Sanchez are holding their own.

We can be a BIT disappointed in Giolito's stuff (but look at the fact that he's pitched in terrible weather...if he hasn't improved by the end of May when he can get a much better grip on the ball, then we can bemoan it.) Lopez has been even better. Fulmer as expected after the brief blip to end last year. He ends up in the bullpen.

The one possible trade chip that could have had some value was Avi, and he's definitely come out slow...but is that a total surprise with all the statistical warning signs/red flags from last year?

Everyone else is basically going to be replaced. Maybe Bummer makes it, or Rondon. Nate Jones is undoubtedly trade bait with his injury history. Soria and Avilan will be recycled, if possible.

+1

Exactly where I stand as well...

I did go into this year with "low 70 wins rosy colored glasses" and now expect 56 wins.

( I'm sticking to that number because... Mark Buehrle. )

Either way, I've invested into the process here and don't really give a f*** if I'm watching historically bad baseball. My time is split between the few likely holdovers up in the show with us now and the minors.

Live or Die, Go Sox!