Site BackOnline

Chisoxfn

All - As I had previously mentioned, the site was down for the last 24-48 hours as we completed our final upgrade onto the new forum software. In the past two months, we have moved the site to a significantly faster server, upgraded the skeleton behind the databases, and moved our forum software to the latest version of our platform.  

While there are kinks we will have to work out, mainly around fine-tuning the look and feel of the site, I'm excited to say that Soxtalk is now back on a state of the art platform and well prepared for the rest of the season. Additionally, we were able to go down and get back online without missing a game (which was the plan and despite some points where I thought the plan was in jeapoardy, we were able to execute through things).

Appreciate everyone's patience. If anyone notices any issues/glitches, let me know.  Please note that there are still things that are "updating" in the background so you might see some funky quote features or some images that haven't came back yet, but those should come back as the database continues to restore over the next 24-72 hours.  

Appreciate everyone's patience.  

• Like 1

Congrats Jason!

Let me m kw when you’re ready for me to help out, I’d be happy to be involved with helping out in terms of the look and feel... frontend code and UI/UX stuff is one of my strengths.

Fantastic first step thou and I know it came as a result of many hard hours of work.

Thanks again for all you do!

11 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Congrats Jason!

Let me m kw when you’re ready for me to help out, I’d be happy to be involved with helping out in terms of the look and feel... frontend code and UI/UX stuff is one of my strengths.

Fantastic first step thou and I know it came as a result of many hard hours of work.

Thanks again for all you do!

One of the huge advantages in this one is we can set a base theme pretty easy, which is awesome. The old theme, which was far from perfect, took hours. Already begun work on a new one that took about ten minutes before any fine tweaking.

12 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

One of the huge advantages in this one is we can set a base theme pretty easy, which is awesome. The old theme, which was far from perfect, took hours. Already begun work on a new one that took about ten minutes before any fine tweaking.

Yea, the core technologies that IP uses have evolved so much in the last 10+ years... hell, back then jQuery wasn't a thing... CSS was just in it's infancy... there's so much more potential here it's absurd. 

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

They've gotta have an option to enable signatures... right? 

Hope you guys decide to enable that someday. :)

Yup, first step was to make this look like a Sox website. Now what we're going to do is create another skin that we can mess around in and do smaller tweaks before we do it on the main one. Also will do some small changes to things like sigs and what not.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Trav - Now that this is here, we can start having the real conversations.  Everyone should see at least some "Sox" colors on this theme.  So it feels like a "White Sox" site again. Kudos to heads on that! 

Groovy - and yea, it looks 1000x better than Soxtalk v1. :)

( btw: It's Trevor, not Travis ) :D

No worries thou, my own mother contemplated between those two choices for a year prior to my birth and it's a common mistake... oddly enough.

Drop me a text man, I'll PM you my cell - we can figure out a time to meet up halfway for some grub and get to runnin.

Cheers again and congrats on the update guys!

Just now, Heads22 said:

Yup, first step was to make this look like a Sox website. Now what we're going to do is create another skin that we can mess around in and do smaller tweaks before we do it on the main one. Also will do some small changes to things like sigs and what not.

Groovy, do you guys have a staging / production server environment going? 

Or rather is it that you've just got another instance of the same board software somewhere with no associated soxtalk database that you're using to do frontend / theme development and testing on before then copying the files manually over to this instance?

( I also love that you can see user "warning points" )

It's been hysterical to read through some of those which chronicle the adventures in stupidity of "hi8is".

My favorite mod comment being,

I'm sorry, but you can't be repeatedly posting pictures of feces here.

🤣

10 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Groovy - and yea, it looks 1000x better than Soxtalk v1. :)

( btw: It's Trevor, not Travis ) :D

No worries thou, my own mother contemplated between those two choices for a year prior to my birth and it's a common mistake... oddly enough.

Drop me a text man, I'll PM you my cell - we can figure out a time to meet up halfway for some grub and get to runnin.

Cheers again and congrats on the update guys!

Perfect - Once I botch a name...I botch it forever. I'm like Harray Carey in that regard. Its a horrible habit.