Sign in to follow this  
Tony

Rodon/Hansen/Fulmer news

According to Merk, Rodon is going to start throwing in Extended Spring, plan is for him to pitch in the majors by the end of May.

Hansen doesn’t sound great, waiting on him to be 100% healthy to start doing anything, sounds like it may be a while. 

Also, Hahn on Fulmer: "As we sit here right now, I think Carson is best served by getting the ball every  fifth day and trying to learn at the big league level how to get through the struggles he’s encountering."

Hansen’s problems were originally forearm related, yes?

Guess they’re rightfully concerned about the (eventual) implications for the elbow.  Usually a warning sign.

3 minutes ago, Tony82087 said:

According to Merk, Rodon is going to start throwing in Extended Spring, plan is for him to pitch in the majors by the end of May.

Hansen doesn’t sound great, waiting on him to be 100% healthy to start doing anything, sounds like it may be a while. 

Also, Hahn on Fulmer: "As we sit here right now, I think Carson is best served by getting the ball every  fifth day and trying to learn at the big league level how to get through the struggles he’s encountering."

I'll be curious to see how quickly Rodon gets moving. Would be great if he's up in the majors by the end of May and looking good. First step extended spring, second step minor league starts, third step big leagues.  May seems like a bit of an aggressive target and I'll take it as a good sign that such a date is being thrown out. 

On Hansen, what is wrong with him exactly? Seems like he's getting better, but that they are taking a cautious approach. 

With Fulmer, while I don't think he's any good, I certainly buy giving him every opportunity up here. It isn't like Miguel Gonzalez or even Shields are long-term options. I'm moving/DFA'ing one of them before I stop giving opportunities to Carson.  

Yeah, I honestly don’t even remember the Hansen injury. 

In terms of Fulmer, no reason not to let him go out there for 8-10 more starts, at least. Only way you make a move at this point if he is screwing your bullpen game after game. 

I take from the comment about Hansen "needing to get back to feeling completely healthy" that there are still some issues. Sox are being very, very quiet about him and the fact that after all this time he may still be dealing with something is very concerning to me.

He had "forearm soreness" in spring training after throwing in one game as I recall and then was put on the shelf. Eerily similar to Rodon last year in many ways.

Was nice to see Rodon in the dugout.  I'll feel a lot better about our rebuild if we can get him rolling (of course if he pans out, he'll be getting expensive when the rest of the club is ready to contend but if he's healthy he will be really good). His stuff is so nasty! 

This team becomes infinitely more watchable when Rodon & eventually Kopech join the rotation.  I honestly can’t take much more Big Game James & MiGo.  Last night was the first game of the season where I actually quit on the Sox and didn’t watch a game to completion.  Part of that was knowing our offense was fucked against Verlander, but Shields’ general horribleness just kills all enjoyment in one fair swoop.

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This team becomes infinitely more watchable when Rodon & eventually Kopech join the rotation.  I honestly can’t take much more Big Game James & MiGo.  Last night was the first game of the season where I actually quit on the Sox and didn’t watch a game to completion.  Part of that was knowing our offense was fucked against Verlander, but Shields’ general horribleness just kills all enjoyment in one fair swoop.

Having Kopech and Rodon to join Gio and Lopez is hopefully 80% of our long term rotation with Hansen, Dunning, Cease, and even Stephens and Clarkin soon up

Almost time to start thinking about Adams, Guerrero, maybe even Danish, Fry, and Fulmer as 'pen pieces
Really think Adams can make a decent set up guy, Guerrero a nice LOOGY, and Fulmer a filthy set up guy/mediocre closer

36 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Having Kopech and Rodon to join Gio and Lopez is hopefully 80% of our long term rotation with Hansen, Dunning, Cease, and even Stephens and Clarkin soon up

Almost time to start thinking about Adams, Guerrero, maybe even Danish, Fry, and Fulmer as 'pen pieces
Really think Adams can make a decent set up guy, Guerrero a nice LOOGY, and Fulmer a filthy set up guy/mediocre closer

But at this point, Hahn must still think Fulmer is a future starter not a reliever. Maybe that will change as time goes on. 

Just now, SCCWS said:

But at this point, Hahn must still think Fulmer is a future starter not a reliever. Maybe that will change as time goes on. 

He came in relief yesterday FWIW

I have no issue with Fulmer starting now, no one is pushing him
And I view him as a decent MLB starter but I think he can make his money as a late innings reliever

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

He came in relief yesterday FWIW

This is likely because he needed work after his 1 ip disaster