Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

43 minutes ago, flavum said:

So 56-72 starting Friday. That seems very optimistic no matter what they do.

54 games left with Indians, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Astros, Cubs, Brewers, and Cardinals. That’s 1/3 of a regular season. 14-40 at best?

I'll take the over on that because baseball. They swept the Astros last year.

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

No. Besides 100 losses now might not get you a top 4 or 5 pick

Agreed. Reds, Orioles, White Sox are losing 100+. Marlins and Padres may fall back to that level of suck, and maybe the Royals depending on the Tigers being a little better than expected.

The bottom five teams this year will set an all time low winning percentage for bottom five teams...by design.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

What's your prediction on what the staff looks like in 2 months?

Fair enough. I just don't believe the consistent (hopefully) improvement of Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, and Anderson + the consistency of Abreu (and hopefully Garcia when he's back) will be enough to play .500 ball.

Why?  This is largely the group that played .500 ball to end last season,  without counting on reinforcements. 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

You also have to consider that this team, constructed as is, is not a 9-25 team. I'm not saying they're good, I'm just saying they're not this bad.

I actually think they are, as constructed, that bad.  The rotation and bullpen are horrid.  

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I actually think they are, as constructed, that bad.  The rotation and bullpen are horrid.  

As constructed, yes, but this is a team that will add Rodon and likely will also add Eloy and Kopech at some point this season. Maybe they'll even add Zavala, Collins, and Stephens toward the end of the year. I doubt this team resembles the one we'll see in August and September much.

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why?  This is largely the group that played .500 ball to end last season,  without counting on reinforcements. 

Because the staff & bullpen as it’s currently constructed are horrific

Edited by soxfan49

Even if they get a top 5 pick, I have zero confidence they will get it right at this point. Their track record is abysmal with selecting offensive talent with this most recent Burger injury. All of our offensive talent was obtained through trades (or signings if you count Robert), which is great. Just no confidence our staff can pick and develop offense at this point. TA is really the only respectable offensive selection they’ve had, and jury still somewhat out on him. Will be (pleasantly) surprised if Collins turns out to be anything other than average, which isn’t saying much given our the expectations the FO set. But Collins could very well just bust too now, but I’ll let this year play out. Not sure where Sheets is at. But if you start thinking about the Hawkins, Mitchell’s, etc. the Sox have drafted in the past, this is downright brutal. Need to get this one coming up right - but am losing hope they can, which is frustrating when  you see teams like Cubs, Houston, Colorado get it right with ease. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Special K said:

Even if they get a top 5 pick, I have zero confidence they will get it right at this point. Their track record is abysmal with selecting offensive talent with this most recent Burger injury. All of our offensive talent was obtained through trades (or signings if you count Robert), which is great. Just no confidence our staff can pick and develop offense at this point. TA is really the only respectable offensive selection they’ve had, and jury still somewhat out on him. Will be (pleasantly) surprised if Collins turns out to be anything other than average, which isn’t saying much given our the expectations the FO set. But Collins could very well just bust too now, but I’ll let this year play out. Not sure where Sheets is at. But if you start thinking about the Hawkins, Mitchell’s, etc. the Sox have drafted in the past, this is downright brutal. Need to get this one coming up right - but am losing hope they can, which is frustrating when  you see teams like Cubs, Houston, Colorado get it right with ease. 

Collins has a slash line of .386/.565/.682 and a K/BB of about .6 since he changed the stance he was using on April 24. SSS, but those are incredible numbers regardless of sample size, and nothing like he's done for any stretch at any level of minor league baseball. I don't think he's going to bust. He may not end up being great, but the bat will play somewhere, and extremely well if he can stick at C.

49 minutes ago, Special K said:

It's identifying and keeping/fostering/nurturing that talent through into the majors:

Eduardo Escobar

Marcus Semien

Jose Martinez (1B, Cardinals, son of ex-Sox Carlos)

Tyler Flowers

Fernando Tatis, Jr.

Fwiw, the jury is far from out on Yolmer Sanchez and Matt Davidson.  Either, or both, being a significant part of the next White Sox playoff contender would be pretty big wins for the front office.

Edited by caulfield12

12 hours ago, Special K said:

Getting it right with ease = completely botching two #1 overall draft picks in the last 5 years.

17 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

As constructed, yes, but this is a team that will add Rodon and likely will also add Eloy and Kopech at some point this season. Maybe they'll even add Zavala, Collins, and Stephens toward the end of the year. I doubt this team resembles the one we'll see in August and September much.

The only guys I think we'll see out of that group are Kopech and Stephens.  I'd personally put Stephens in the rotation soon.  Rotation spots are going to be hard to come by next couple years and he's already 26.  Let's see what he's got at the major league level.  

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Honestly, I don't think this thread is necessary or meaningful until August. It is pointless worrying about draft position with over 120 games remaining. 

Nor is it enjoyable.  I’m all for supporting the tank down the stretch, but it’s way too early to cheer for losses.

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Following it this early only leads to heartbreak. Remember when the Bulls were 3-20, with a wide lead for the #1 odds? 

In 2007, the White Sox had the worst record for a time until Josh Fields and Jerry Owens lit it up in September. Never to light it up again.

Edited by Dick Allen

On 5/9/2018 at 4:58 PM, soxfan49 said:

What's your prediction on what the staff looks like in 2 months?

Fair enough. I just don't believe the consistent (hopefully) improvement of Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, and Anderson + the consistency of Abreu (and hopefully Garcia when he's back) will be enough to play .500 ball.

Three potential impact bats in the middle. Competent hitters in Yolmer Beef and TA. Lack of quality OFs a definite downside. Roster size really affects a team that could use some more offense. Nice intro from Polka. One of the CF spots could really use an upgrade. 

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Agreed but I do like to know where we are at relative to the other trash in the league. I personally won't cheer for losses until the last couple weeks of the season. It's all about development and enjoying my team (as much as you can enjoy this) until then. 

Oh I have no problem with knowing where we stand.  Honestly, it makes the losing a bit easier to digest knowing we’re looking at another top pick.  I just can’t personally cheer for losses this early into the season.