Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Is there a clear cut #1 for next years draft?

Nope.  There isn't a generational talent in the 2019 class.  Fangraphs has a super early list of possible 2019 first rounders though. Witt and Barco are the two names that I've seen thrown around the most though.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-draft-rankings-2018-2019-and-2020/

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Is there a clear cut #1 for next years draft?

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Nope.  There isn't a generational talent in the 2019 class.  Fangraphs has a super early list of possible 2019 first rounders though. Witt and Barco are the two names that I've seen thrown around the most though.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-draft-rankings-2018-2019-and-2020/

So far the college national team has announced Shea Langeliers (C), Adley Rutschman (C), Braden Shewmake (3B?), Bryson Stott (SS), Andrew Vaughn (1B), Matt Wallner (RF). Our pick will almost definitely come from this team or from the high school national team. 

The bottom 8 teams this year are 117-223 (.344). Rounding up, that’s like 56-106 for 162 games.

Last year on May 20, the bottom 8 teams were 136-204 (.400). Those 8 teams played .463-ball after May 20.

The eventual bottom 8 teams for 2017 played .411 ball after May 20.

What does this all mean? The bad teams are worse this year, and the Sox are clearly getting a top-3 pick next year. 

1 hour ago, flavum said:

The bottom 8 teams this year are 117-223 (.344). Rounding up, that’s like 56-106 for 162 games.

Last year on May 20, the bottom 8 teams were 136-204 (.400). Those 8 teams played .463-ball after May 20.

The eventual bottom 8 teams for 2017 played .411 ball after May 20.

What does this all mean? The bad teams are worse this year, and the Sox are clearly getting a top-3 pick next year. 

Unless we play .463 ball it seems.  I’m all for setting a record in futility with Moncada OPSing .850 and Lopez averaging 6IP per start.  

Edited by Jerksticks

Well, somehow the franchise STILL went up 14% in value from last year to this, at $1.5 billion (good for 14th in MLB).

Because of all the cleared payroll or the trades for Moncada/Kopech/Jimenez/Cease/Giolito/Lopez/Dunning, it’s hard to say.  Probably a bit of both...

White Sox- 10 wins
Orioles- 13 wins
Reds- 15 wins
Marlins- 16 wins
Dodgers- 16 wins
Rangers- 17 wins

This might sound meatballish, but if the Sox go 1-7 or 2-6 in the next 8 games (vs TEX and vs BAL), that lead may be insurmountable unless Jimenez and Kopech come up & shine.

15 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

White Sox- 10 wins
Orioles- 13 wins
Reds- 15 wins
Marlins- 16 wins
Dodgers- 16 wins
Rangers- 17 wins

This might sound meatballish, but if the Sox go 1-7 or 2-6 in the next 8 games (vs TEX and vs BAL), that lead may be insurmountable unless Jimenez and Kopech come up & shine.

That would mean something like a 7 or 8 game lead, tops, with about 110 games to go.  Yes, that sounds meatballish.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If the Sox do get a top 5 pick again, that will mean they have had a 3, an 8, a 10, an 11, a 4 and a top 5 in 6 years, and still would have an average at best system without the trades. 

Larry Himes rebuilt the White Sox with a 5, 7, 10, and 4.

Great comment, the drafting has not been good ever since the Sale pick.  

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If the Sox do get a top 5 pick again, that will mean they have had a 3, an 8, a 10, an 11, a 4 and a top 5 in 6 years, and still would have an average at best system without the trades. 

Larry Himes rebuilt the White Sox with a 5, 7, 10, and 4.

Health plays a factor here. McDowell, Ventura, Thomas, and Fernandez were all healthy most of the time. If Rodon were healthy, his stuff and poise would have him right up there with McDowell and Fernandez. Unfortunately it looks like Fulmer seems like a bust and will likely end up a pen arm. Collins is progressing nicely and could be contributing to the ML team in 2019 or 2020. Injuries are a factor with Burger. I feel like the two players the Sox are going to get from the 2018 and 2019 Top 5 are guys who really have to become part of the team's core. That said, those two could be part of it with Rodon, Fulmer, Collins, and Burger. This team is still developing its core, which will come together in the next 2 years hopefully.

Edited by Dam8610

53 minutes ago, fathom said:

Great comment, the drafting has not been good ever since the Sale pick.  

Got to give Hostetler & Getz a chance to prove themselves.  For the most part, the minor league system has performed well.  I really think these IDPs Getz has put in place are helping.  Seems like they used to leave development up to the players themselves and not there is actually structure in place.  I’m actually getting optimism there.  

The drafting is a bigger question mark, but it’s still way too early to draw any conclusions on Hostetler.  It is possible Collins, Hansen, Burdi, & Hamilton all become key pieces of our next good team and that would make the 2016 draft a huge success.   Just got to wait and see how these first classes pan out for Nick.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Got to give Hostetler & Getz a chance to prove themselves.  For the most part, the minor league system has performed well.  I really think these IDPs Getz has put in place are helping.  Seems like they used to leave development up to the players themselves and not there is actually structure in place.  I’m actually getting optimism there.  

The drafting is a bigger question mark, but it’s still way too early to draw any conclusions on Hostetler.  It is possible Collins, Hansen, Burdi, & Hamilton all become key pieces of our next good team and that would make the 2016 draft a huge success.   Just got to wait and see how these first classes pan out for Nick.

At this stage you can only look at their progress and feel like what they have done in a little short of two years in the system is more than I can think of with a single class in a large number of years.