Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

Sox end the week 17 under .500 and with the worst winning pct at .302. Royals and Orioles are 18 under .500 and winning pct .304.

Mon- Cashner vs Santiago 

Tue- Gausman vs Shields 

Wed- Cobb vs TBA (Covey?)

Thu- Bundy vs Giolito 

That would be a pace for 49-113.

Just don't see that happening with Rodon, Lopez and (a hopefully improving) Giolito...along with reinforcements in JImenez, Kopech, Cordell AND Avi (actually hitting at the end of JUNE), etc.

The outfield production with Thompson, Avi, Engel and Delmonico has been historically bad....so any slippage from Moncada/Davidson/Lopez should be balanced out somewhere else on the roster.

It also feels like the bullpen is more or less sorted out now with Jones, Rondon, Fry and Soria (6th/7th only).

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Baltimore is 17-36 with Machado. They will lap the field in the race to the first pick once they trade him.

Sox need to trade Abreu and Shields, and not bring up Eloy or Kopech until next mid-April.

But seriously, there's a handful of terrible teams that will finish in the bottom 5- Sox, Royals, Orioles, Reds, Marlins. These teams are just outmatched. Now that the Rays have given up, maybe the Orioles beat them some, and the pitchers they thought would be serviceable actually start doing that.

If the Sox go 58-104 and don't pick first, it's not like it's something to complain that they didn't lose enough.

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Don't sleep on the Royals.  Moose, Herrera, possibly Duffy(if he can pitch well enough to be wanted...), Perez... They could get really bad depending on who they trade.

Hard to imagine trading Sal Perez at anything less than peak value...and, if they deal Duffy, they're still stuck with bad contracts for the likes of Alex Gordon and Ian Kennedy, so there's no digging out of this mess anytime soon.

Soler actually has some value now...and I'm pretty sure two more years of control at least.  Merrifield would be another.  But that's a complete teardown, like the White Sox are doing.

Trading Perez, Duffy, Moustakas, Herrera, Soler and Merrifield still isn't going to bring back nearly the return the Sox got back in return for their Big 3, unfortunately for the Royals.   It's MORE likely they move Moustakas and Herrera and continue trying to supplement the "core" of remaining guys I already mentioned.   Rock and a hard place, for sure.   Of course, they have a huge bounty of high draft picks and pool compensation dollars available this June, but that's not a short-term solution.

13 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah, I think Baltimore ends up #1, because Machado will be gone & Jimenez and Kopech will be up.

The only way the Sox have a chance to finish with the #1 pick is if they trade Abreu.

I also think Duquette and Buck are both gone in Baltimore before the season ends. As many train wrecks as there are in MLB right now, that situation is going to wind up the biggest. 

21 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Baltimore is 17-36 with Machado. They will lap the field in the race to the first pick once they trade him.

Which is the point I've been making in the offseason. Machado is having an MVP caliber season better then anyone really ever anticipated (though he is a FA so you have to wonder) yet the Orioles are still god awful.

There isn't going to be one player who is going to come in and fix the sox. This has to be a multi year rebuild the cubs and Astros took three and four years respectively. We are in year two.

4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Bobby Witt Jr. seems to be the consensus #1 but so much changes in a year

Because he can run fast and scouts love his defense. This is what people were saying about Turang last year when he was getting 1-1 buzz. Maybe this kid's bat will fare better. I think Adley Rutschman is much more likely to be in that conversation on this date next year.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

At least they are consistent. They started out 8-18, and have been 8-18 since.

Assuming they lose today, they'll- 2 months into the year- still be on pace to win 47-48 games. If that doesn't get them to the #1 pick, it'll be a really bad year for the MLB.

Minnesota's going to be in danger of losing touch with the Indians....5.5 GB very quickly (thanks White Sox!)

Baltimore -22 (but White Sox still have lowest overall winning percentage due to fewer games played)

White Sox -21   (0.5 GB)

Cincinnati -17  (2.5 GB)

Kansas City -16  (3.0 GB)

Miami -15  (3.5 GB)

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Minnesota's going to be in danger of losing touch with the Indians....5.5 GB very quickly (thanks White Sox!)

Baltimore -22 (but White Sox still have lowest overall winning percentage due to fewer games played)

White Sox -21   (0.5 GB)

Cincinnati -17  (2.5 GB)

Kansas City -16  (3.0 GB)

Miami -15  (3.5 GB)

I always found this to be the best and easiest way to keep track. IMO, the White Sox are up a game for the #1 pick right now, because the team with the fewest wins at year end will get it.

4 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

I always found this to be the best and easiest way to keep track. IMO, the White Sox are up a game for the #1 pick right now, because the team with the fewest wins at year end will get it.

Personally I still like the loss column, but same basic idea. Once you've lost a game, you can't give back the loss.