Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

8 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I will repeat what I said recently. Forbes magazine said the White Sox franchise has a gross of $260 million dollars. The 2018 payroll is $60 million dollars.  The 2019 payroll will be less than the 2018 payroll. Even with other expenses this franchise is very profitable. There are at least 3 groups of people that want to buy the White Sox. The major reason why they want to buy the team is simply because they can make money.

Do you actually think that player payroll is the only cost of doing business?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

While losing right now may be understood, I would also add that the fans have every right to be pissed about it. The losing in 2018 is a direct result of choices the White Sox were making in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, and the people who made those choices have suffered no consequences. By the end of 2016, Rick Hahn didn't just deserve to be fired, he deserved to be tarred and feathered. After the Shields trade people should have been burning Rick Hahn in effigy. The only reason they weren't is that after so much ineptitude, nobody really cared any more.

This.  Outstanding post.  

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

While losing right now may be understood, I would also add that the fans have every right to be pissed about it. The losing in 2018 is a direct result of choices the White Sox were making in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, and the people who made those choices have suffered no consequences. By the end of 2016, Rick Hahn didn't just deserve to be fired, he deserved to be tarred and feathered. After the Shields trade people should have been burning Rick Hahn in effigy. The only reason they weren't is that after so much ineptitude, nobody really cared any more.

Man I can't believe this is Balta and not an impostor. Tonight's game was disgraceful. Great post. Wonderful post. I love it.

11 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I'm not the least bit upset that the White Sox are a  profitable business. I'm glad they're making money. If they weren't making money the franchise would be moved out of state.  I'm  upset with this ownership/management team. The team hasn't had a winning season since 2012. I sure don't see things getting better soon. This losing year after year is  terrible.

I don't like them making money. I'd rather have them suffer like the fans until we get good again. Then they can make some money.

13 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

This.  Outstanding post.  

The reason i'm not madder at Hahn is KW and Reinsdorf. All of the dumb moves reek of Williams trying to please JR and win now.

When did Hahn actually start doing it his way? Did it start when he made Hostetler director of scouting? Every one of us has to admit when KW 

was in the draft room we were a joke. In the last 2-3 years we've made more good decisions than Kenny made in a decade.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I was beaten mercilessly for saying this 2 -3 years ago (although I didn't express it nearly as eloquently as you did in this post).
The media never called Hahn to task on anything.  Less than a month after the Shields trade, the FO indicated intent to rebuild, diverting the attention.
The Sox bloggers/insiders have basically fawned over Hahn; they've never called him to task either.  Perhaps it's because they get access from this regime.

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2018 at 1:48 PM, Balta1701 said:

This x infinity. Bravo Balta, Great post. 

7 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Every game against KC is a must lose game. 

While I'd like them to go 3-9, and somehow grab the 2nd spot, it's not happening. 3rd spot is almost a lock unless the Marlins go on a Tigers of 2017 run...which I suppose is possible.

A long time ago (probably May), I wanted the Sox to come home from Houston 30-60.  They're one loss away today from being there.

Here's a breakdown of the final 72, Home-Away-Total (my guess):

KC 9-3-12 (8-4)

Det 3-7-10 (4-6)

Cle 6-3-9 (3-6)

Min 2-5-7 (3-4)

LAA 3-4-7 (2-5)

NY 3-3-6 (1-5)

Bos 4-0-4 (1-3)

Bal 0-3-3 (2-1)

TB 0-3-3 (1-2)

Tor 3-0-3 (2-1)

Sea 0-3-3 (0-3)

Cubs 3-0-3 (1-2)

Stl 2-0-2 (1-1) Covey vs Mikolas, Rodon vs Weaver

29-43

59-103, 3rd pick

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Sox are 30 games under before the break and they aren't even close to the second pick

the tanking teams this season have gone absolutely insane

Sox are an embarrassment to a great city; wish some famous folks would call them out publicly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

Sox are an embarrassment to a great city; wish some famous folks would call them out publicly.

Were the Cubs an embarrassment to Chicago when they were tanking?  If so, it’s too bad Bill Murray and other famous folks didn’t call them out, because maybe they would have abandoned their rebuild and never won a World Series.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Were the Cubs an embarrassment to Chicago when they were tanking?  If so, it’s too bad Bill Murray and other famous folks didn’t call them out, because maybe they would have abandoned their rebuild and never won a World Series.

The embarrassment is that the Cubs, while tanking, were still outdrawing the all-in White Sox by about a million fans per season.

21 minutes ago, Juschill said:

The embarrassment is that the Cubs, while tanking, were still outdrawing the all-in White Sox by about a million fans per season.

That has nothing to do with W/L record which is what this thread is about.

The Cubs were losing so they brought in new front office:  a front office  with world series cred.  They told the fans it would take a few years.  They went through 3 managers in 3 years.  What stars did they trade?  Samardzija?  34 year old Dempster?  They didn’t really tank, they just built.

Very little comparison to how things work on the southside.  And it doesn't take much imagination how the casual fan would be more excited about the Cubs approach to building a team.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

The Cubs were losing so they brought in new front office:  a front office  with world series cred.  They told the fans it would take a few years.  They went through 3 managers in 3 years.  What stars did they trade?  Samardzija?  34 year old Dempster?  They didn’t really tank, they just built.

Very little comparison to how things work on the southside.  And it doesn't take much imagination how the casual fan would be more excited about the Cubs approach to building a team.

Rebuilds are a lot easier when your future GM gifts you a stud first baseman, the Astros inexplicably pass on Bryant, the A's somehow give up 6 years of a top prospect for two months of a mediocre pitcher, etc. Takes a lot of luck.