Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

The sox need prospects to make an impact. The cubs had bryant, Russell, schwarber, hendricks all being above average to star instantly, only baez took some time.

The sox need eloy, kopech to do the same and moncada and one of lopez/giolito making a step forward like baez did.if that happens they can compete quickly.

Anderson has taken a slight step forward, but he's still not an All-Star shortstop compared to what the very best at that position do.    Moncada hasn't progressed much, if at all (especially when compared to where he was in late April.)   Yay for Soria and Shields improving the most?

Giolito, Fulmer and Lopez are basically the same or much worse.

Davidson/Sanchez are treading water.  I suppose you could argue that if you combined Palka and Davidson into a platoon, they would be "serviceable."

Engel and Delmonico have been disappointments, although nothing was expected out of Engel other than from some who get excited about ST results.  His defense hasn't been particularly good, and he almost always throws to the wrong base or inaccurately.

Even Avi has managed to take a lot of shine off his future prospects with the Sox, assuming Hahn was potentially serious about extending him.

We all know the minor league side of things...but Hansen and Robert being lost for most of the season...not to mention Dunning being out, has set the rebuild back to 2021 in the minds of most prognosticators, essentially forcing a trade of Rodon since he will be a FA after our first legitimately competitive season.

White Sox fans should get a reward for not recording the worst attendance in baseball, and coming out this weekend, months after the team was buried.  They're pretty close to being 26th in the majors, which is exactly what they have averaged from 2013 through 2016 while "trying to compete."

Padres had a chance to win last night, but blew a squeeze bunt. They’re losing a lot lately, and have a tough remaining schedule. Hopefully the Sox finish no better than 61-101, and it’s enough for the third pick. Duffy beating the Sox tonight wouldn’t suck.

Edited by flavum

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

4.5 games behind Baltimore at #1. 3 games behind KC at #2. 3.5 games ahead of San Diego at #4. It's not likely, but I do think the #1 pick is in play for this season.

I think we can catch KC, but catching Baltimore and that horrid roster would require one of those weird things where a team unloads talent and all the randoms who get playing time have chips on their shoulders and steal some games away.

Doubt the Sox catch KC, but a loss today would put the Sox two back (ahead) with 54 left and six head-to-head remaining.

fun fact: Royals are done with the AL West and Yankees and Red Sox. So they do have some easier opportunities for wins.

I hope Lopez is good, but they lose today. 

Edited by flavum

7 minutes ago, flavum said:

The Royals schedule is soft enough that 24-31 isn’t out of the question. That would put them at 58-104. The Sox would have to go 21-34 the rest of the way.

I hate rooting for losses, but sometimes you have to suck it up.

35 minutes ago, flavum said:

The Royals schedule is soft enough that 24-31 isn’t out of the question. That would put them at 58-104. The Sox would have to go 21-34 the rest of the way.

The Sox would need 20-35 the rest of the way in that scenario. 20-35 would also put the #1 pick in play, as that would require Baltimore to go 25-29.

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

The Sox would need 20-35 the rest of the way in that scenario. 20-35 would also put the #1 pick in play, as that would require Baltimore to go 25-29.

Sox hold the tiebreaker over everyone except the Tigers, Giants, and Phillies.

Orioles will pick first. No doubt in my mind.

3 hours ago, flavum said:

Sox hold the tiebreaker over everyone except the Tigers, Giants, and Phillies.

Orioles will pick first. No doubt in my mind.

The Sox have a 9 game road trip in September which includes 3 @ KC & 3 @ Baltimore.  Dropping 5 of 6 in those two series would not surprise me at all.

4 hours ago, zisk said:

I hate rooting for losses, but sometimes you have to suck it up.

It goes from being a "leap of faith" when you first start losing to "wait, now we're grabbing some really good prospects and the minors look full of prospects".  I'm pretty excited about Madrigal for one.

• Sox 39-70
  • SD 43-69

If the 3rd pick matters to you, it wouldn't suck if the Sox lost about 8 in a row right now.

I just hope the Sox go 22-31 for 61-101, and whatever pick that gets them, I'm ok with it. Unless that includes sweeping the Twins the final weekend.

Sox 39-70
SD 43-69

If the 3rd pick matters to you, it wouldn't suck if the Sox lost about 8 in a row right now.

I just hope the Sox go 22-31 for 61-101, and whatever pick that gets them, I'm ok with it. Unless that includes sweeping the Twins the final weekend.
Sox 39-70
SD 43-69

Sox 39-70
SD 43-69

I think  sox will be 5th in the end. KC,  SD, Miami and Baltimore just "improved " more at the deadline when it comes to losing because they had more talent to sell than the sox. Especially the relievers traded will really "help" those teams, there will be a .ot of blown leads.

Top5 pick is fine though, although 3 of course would be better.

2 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I think  sox will be 5th in the end. KC,  SD, Miami and Baltimore just "improved " more at the deadline when it comes to losing because they had more talent to sell than the sox. Especially the relievers traded will really "help" those teams, there will be a .ot of blown leads.

Top5 pick is fine though, although 3 of course would be better.

I hope we can hang on. The team has looked a little too feisty the last couple of nights. Maybe we can bench Abreu for a week (lack of hustle) until he cools off.