Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

On 7/30/2018 at 2:20 AM, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

The sox need prospects to make an impact. The cubs had bryant, Russell, schwarber, hendricks all being above average to star instantly, only baez took some time.

The sox need eloy, kopech to do the same and moncada and one of lopez/giolito making a step forward like baez did.if that happens they can compete quickly.

I think Giolito may have already taken that step but we'll see next spring. I'm a little worried about him needing a third of a season to find himself again after this coming offseason. It seems like long layoffs affect Giolito and Moncada very negatively. 

I hope we get the 7th pick. Why? That means Eloy and Kopech are up. It means that Nicky and/or Palka are hitting. That Giolito continues his decent stretch, maybe that we found ourself some bullpen guys.  Let's go on a run and get this team all revved up for next year when you can expect the next round of September call ups (Madrigal**, Cease, Dunning, Collins)

** I don't want to be that guy who rushes guys - but his bat tool is insanely above most at his age. I can see him in AA by May next year and AAA by August (ala Eloy).

I feel like once you make the call on Kopech and Eloy it start a new chapter in this rebuild. The tear down was the last 1.5 years, this half year was the "patience" and moving forward I think it's the "building blocks" for another 1 year. By this time next year I think you are plugging phase 3 of 5 with Madrigal, Cease, Dunning, Collins) with the next set of Robert, Hansen, etc. coming within the 24 months after that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baker said:

The Sox play in a much weaker division. This is going to be close. 

Yeah, hopefully the Sox go 4-11 or worse against Indians, Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox so going .500 vs everyone else might not cost them. It’ll be interesting to see where the Sox are after these two weeks of Tigers, Royals, and Twins.

Also, would you be willing to lose two spots in the draft if it meant the Cubs lost the division and had to host the wildcard?

2 hours ago, flavum said:

Yeah, hopefully the Sox go 4-11 or worse against Indians, Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox so going .500 vs everyone else might not cost them. It’ll be interesting to see where the Sox are after these two weeks of Tigers, Royals, and Twins.

Also, would you be willing to lose two spots in the draft if it meant the Cubs lost the division and had to host the wildcard?

Maybe. But you’d have to throw in a Yankees-Astros Wild Card match. 

Detroit will probably pass the  Sox.  They perfected last 6-weeks-of-the-season-tanking last year.  They are really good at it.

The Sox always try to win.  

I wonder why the Sox keep so many older guys and low value LOOGYS who really don't have a future in this bullpen...but I suppose tanking is part of it.

Edited by GreenSox

I can’t see the Tigers falling off that bad again this year. They’re bad, but I think they have 15 wins left in them for 65-97. Sox should lose more than that.

But yeah, it’s looking like the AL Central is going to drop the Sox to 5th pick, which is probably where they belong anyway. 

47 minutes ago, flavum said:

I can’t see the Tigers falling off that bad again this year. They’re bad, but I think they have 15 wins left in them for 65-97. Sox should lose more than that.

But yeah, it’s looking like the AL Central is going to drop the Sox to 5th pick, which is probably where they belong anyway. 

If the Sox picked 5TH, do you think that they would still have a shot at one of the two, most highly ranked collegiate catchers?

42 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox picked 5TH, do you think that they would still have a shot at one of the two, most highly ranked collegiate catchers?

I think it's just so early to tell. Hell, it's entirely possible that by the time the draft rolls around, both of those guys won't even be considered in the top ten.

So much changes with amateurs between drafts. They still have a whole season to play, and they're so young that there can be drastic shifts in physicality and maturity in a short amount of time. This time last year, all the 1-1 discussion were centered on Brice Turang vs Ethan Hankins, for example.

LOL love this. I am sure my fellow Bears fans will remember the lost draft picks over the years, where the Bears win a couple of meaningless games and fall from top 5 to outside the top 10. 

What do you do? Root for your team to lose? I can't stomach when the Sox or Bears lose, but I also know in the back of my mind know if the Sox lose, there is a better chance of being better down the road. 

Competing with KC and Detroit is not easy. Detroit got Mize, who is going to be a stud. KC's system isn't that good, but they really had a nice draft this past year, Cleveland still promises to be strong and also have a solid system and Minny is good. This division sucks right now, but in 2 years it's going to be a battle. White Sox have the better/deeper farm than any of those teams, but no need to rest on those laurels, I say have another good draft hit and go...

Sox draft this past year was awesome. Nick is great, Walker is a tremendous hitter and gives us protection of Blake or Basabe don't pan out. Fifth round pick Steiver is a high floor pitcher I think the Sox needed to get. We got these high ceiling guys, it's nice to have a guy who projects to be a solid innings eater in the bottom of the rotation.

One more stellar draft and lets watch the rose bloom