Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They also traded for the top rated 2B prospect in 2016.

Yep. Moncada is no longer the #1 2B prospect though. He has been leapfrogged by guys like Albies and Torres. 

Collins stock as a catcher is down from 2016 as well. The kid was an absolute reach at #10 overall if he can't stick at catcher. High OBP first baseman are a dime a dozen these days, especially ones with terrible splits. The Sox took another one of those in the second round last year. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Yep. Moncada is no longer the #1 2B prospect though. He has been leapfrogged by guys like Albies and Torres. 

Collins stock as a catcher is down from 2016 as well. The kid was an absolute reach at #10 overall if he can't stick at catcher. High OBP first baseman are a dime a dozen these days, especially ones with terrible splits. The Sox took another one of those in the second round last year. 

And Moncada didn't stop the Sox from drafting the best available player in Nick Madrigal.  Zach Collins won't stop the Sox from drafting a catcher if he is BPA.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And Moncada didn't stop the Sox from drafting the best available player in Nick Madrigal.  Zach Collins won't stop the Sox from drafting a catcher if he is BPA.

Was Madrigal the best player available? Try trading him for Gorman or Kelenic right now. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

LOL love this. I am sure my fellow Bears fans will remember the lost draft picks over the years, where the Bears win a couple of meaningless games and fall from top 5 to outside the top 10. 

What do you do? Root for your team to lose? I can't stomach when the Sox or Bears lose, but I also know in the back of my mind know if the Sox lose, there is a better chance of being better down the road.

Missing out on Aaron Donald...and then Leonard Williams sure was a kick in the sack...especially Donald.  But then you have boneheaded idiocracy like taking Shea McClellin over Chandler Jones so nothing is etched in stone. But at this point with the Sox...it doesn't even bother me when they lose games.  And...if they lose in idiotic fashion...one more nail in Ricky's coffin here hopefully.

19 minutes ago, flavum said:

If the Sox sweep KC, the Nationals sweep the Marlins, and the Dbacks sweep the Padres, the Sox will drop to 5th with six weeks left in the season.

The Sox have been in the 3rd position since June 11. 

The Sox have been such a terrible team this year that it’s hard to believe 2 other teams have been worse. It’s really going to be disappointing if 2 more teams drop them to 5. 

18 hours ago, joejoedairy said:

They are aren't going to fall below pick 5 and arent going to rise above pick 3 (most likely) so we may as well root for them to win every game from here on out. 

Great post.  No reason to root for losses at this point when the possible range of outcomes is 3rd to 5th pick.  Might as well cheer for wins and see where things stand near the end of the season.  That’s when I’ll start rooting for losses if it makes a difference in draft position.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:10 PM, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Was Madrigal the best player available? Try trading him for Gorman or Kelenic right now. 

It depends on what you mean with best player. At draft day most people knew he wouldn't be the best player of the draft but he was the safest bet to be a 3-4 win player. Players like Gorman and some others always had a higher ceiling but also a very high bust chance. Gorman looks good now and could very well be a better player than madrigal but the bust risk is still higher than madrigal (after destroying rookie ball he currently is striking out 37% in A ball although admittedly in a small sample).

Today many teams prefer avoiding busts over taking a shot in finding a superstar.

20 hours ago, flavum said:

Draft order through 122 games (after game 122):

1. Orioles 36-86 (1-0)
  2. Royals 37-85 (1-0)
  3. White Sox 45-77
  4. Padres 48-74 (1-3)
  5. Marlins 48-74 (1-2)
  6. Tigers 50-72 (1-1)
  7. Reds 53-69 (1-0)
  8. Mets 53-69
  9. Rangers 53-69 (2-1)
  10. Blue Jays 55-67 (0-1)
  11. Twins 58-64

I think top 5 should be a pretty sure thing now, although the deadline depleted marlins and Padres are still dangerous. Should end somewhere between 3 and 5 unless they really go on a hot streak.

At this point, the Sox more likely to end up picking 5th than 3rd.  

The Tigers are also the tank commanders, and will get into the mix for a top 5 pick before all is said and done.

Unfortunately don't think Rutschman is going to happen. 

13 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

With noting really of note in AAA (outside of Eloy), I’m hoping September call ups water down the roster a lot. I know Tilson and Correll are there but there are only three outfield spots. 

Yeah we'll probably see Tilson, a 3rd catcher (Welington), and then relievers added would be my guess. And then Abreu and Leury (maybe) off the DL at some point.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah we'll probably see Tilson, a 3rd catcher (Welington), and then relievers added would be my guess. And then Abreu and Leury (maybe) off the DL at some point.

In a year where your not competing, I’d shut down Abreu and Leury. Give guys like Delmonico more playing time, because I don’t see a spot for him going forward. SHowcase him and see what you can get for him. 

8 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

In a year where your not competing, I’d shut down Abreu and Leury. Give guys like Delmonico more playing time, because I don’t see a spot for him going forward. SHowcase him and see what you can get for him. 

Really think they should give Cordell significant playing time

• Thanks 1