Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

I don't know what the plan is with CF next year. Engel is bad, Leury can't stay healthy, and Cordell needs a shot. Also plenty of stopgap FA options. But letting Cordell mash AAA pitching like he has for the last couple weeks at age 26 helps nobody. He should be getting MLB at bats every day while we still have the opportunity to give them to him

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't know what the plan is with CF next year. Engel is bad, Leury can't stay healthy, and Cordell needs a shot. Also plenty of stopgap FA options. But letting Cordell mash AAA pitching like he has for the last couple weeks at age 26 helps nobody. He should be getting MLB at bats every day while we still have the opportunity to give them to him

He'll be in here in a week and a half.  But I agree, drop LaMarre and get him up here.  

On 8/17/2018 at 3:10 PM, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Was Madrigal the best player available? Try trading him for Gorman or Kelenic right now. 

Civil WAR: Is Nolan Gorman still a 50 FV?  Any movement now or guesses on where he’ll be in the offseason write ups?

12:24

Kiley McDaniel: Only Madrigal and Mize are 55’s from that draft class, so Gorman can’t really get up there until the positional stuff is more decided, which will take time to see which direction he’s trending. A couple scouts said when Gorman was getting beat up by scouts this spring that he’s Austin Riley and he’s sure starting his pro career the same way.

51 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Civil WAR: Is Nolan Gorman still a 50 FV?  Any movement now or guesses on where he’ll be in the offseason write ups?

12:24

Kiley McDaniel: Only Madrigal and Mize are 55’s from that draft class, so Gorman can’t really get up there until the positional stuff is more decided, which will take time to see which direction he’s trending. A couple scouts said when Gorman was getting beat up by scouts this spring that he’s Austin Riley and he’s sure starting his pro career the same way.

Welp, there's the answer from an unbiased source! Biggest questions with Gorman were always the swing/miss and defense. Those questions are nowhere near answered.

I want the young guys to play well and the highest possible pick. Abreu going down should help that as it should force some below replacement level guys to see more time. I really don’t know what Castillo is going to bring to the table offensively when he returns. 

There’s still a month left to play, the Sox can hold on to that third pick

32 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

San Diego only 0.5 GB of the Sox for 3rd pick.

Miami 2 GB.

I think the Sox pick 5th. 

I had a lot more faith in the Sox before losing Abreu, Leury, and Avilan.  This could be a pretty ugly last month + for this team, especially offensively.

• Love 1

Ha ha.  This is like 50% of all Sox seasons since I was a kid.  They start out awful.  Totally lost season.  Then, just as you start to take solace in their draft position, they play .500 for the last two months of the season.  There's a reason they've only had the #1 pick once.  For comparison, Houston had it in back to back years during their rebuild.

Of course, if the Sox don't start to even consider high school hitters, it's not going to matter where they pick.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Ha ha.  This is like 50% of all Sox seasons since I was a kid.  They start out awful.  Totally lost season.  Then, just as you start to take solace in their draft position, they play .500 for the last two months of the season.  There's a reason they've only had the #1 pick once.  For comparison, Houston had it in back to back years during their rebuild.

Of course, if the Sox don't start to even consider high school hitters, it's not going to matter where they pick.

The Sox signed five high school hitters from this year’s draft.  If you mean with their #1 pick, I can’t really fault them for  taking Madrigal over Gorman or Kelenic.  Polished college hitters are scarce and typically taken at the top of draft.  Not surprising we went in that direction when there wasn’t an elite high school positional prospect to consider.

I said it a couple of weeks ago, and I'll stick with it:  the Sox draft 6th, after the Orioles, Royals, Tigers, Padres and Marlins.
It's not a matter of just high school, but if they don't draft better than they have over the last few seasons, it doesn't matter anyway.

Some of the playing .500 for the last 2 months is foolsgold; but there is also some legit improvement.  

Edited by GreenSox

6 hours ago, frogsplash31 said:

Sox are going to end up finishing third in the division 

As long as Moncada goes on a hot streak to finish the season, and the young pitchers continue to pitch well, idgaf. Idgaf if they pick 7th-10th either. I don't think there is any way they drop past 7-9 though. The Sox, in 2017 picked 11th and they finished with 78 wins the year prior. There is no way in hell they're getting anywhere close to that number. 

On 8/17/2018 at 3:10 PM, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Was Madrigal the best player available? Try trading him for Gorman or Kelenic right now. 

Some of us saw it coming. Forget Gorman try trading him for Groshans. I never liked the pick we bought into he's a gamer hype rather then his future profile everytime you do that you get burned.

If you look at modern baseball and what his skills project out as he should have been 1A/2nd round pick. Huge mistake and I said it at the time but what can you do? He's almost 22 so he probably doesn't have a ton of time left as a prospect maybe 2 years all you can do is cross your fingers and hope he proves you wrong.,

Edited by wrathofhahn

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

Some of us saw it coming. Forget Gorman try trading him for Groshans. I never liked the pick we bought into he's a gamer hype rather then his future profile everytime you do that you get burned.

If you look at modern baseball and what his skills project out as he should have been 1A/2nd round pick. Huge mistake and I said it at the time but what can you do? He's almost 22 so he probably doesn't have a ton of time left as a prospect maybe 2 years all you can do is cross your fingers and hope he proves you wrong.,

People who dissect prospects for a living have him ranked the 2nd best prospect out of 2018 draft. Your bolded comment had no basis in reality other than just throwing shit at a wall. 

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

If you look at modern baseball and what his skills project out as he should have been 1A/2nd round pick. Huge mistake and I said it at the time but what can you do? He's almost 22 so he probably doesn't have a ton of time left as a prospect maybe 2 years all you can do is cross your fingers and hope he prove you wrong.,

They didn't draft him for "gamer hype," they drafted him because scouts have been reporting a potential future 70 hit tool, which is the rarest and most valuable tool. They may ultimately end up being wrong about that, or he may ultimately bust for being deficient in other areas, but let's not pretend there wasn't good process behind the decision.

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

They didn't draft him for "gamer hype," they drafted him because scouts have been reporting a potential future 70 hit tool, which is the rarest and most valuable tool. They may ultimately end up being wrong about that, or he may ultimately bust for being deficient in other areas, but let's not pretend there wasn't good process behind the decision.

Maybe 20 years ago. Now it's all about slugging percentage and to a slightly lesser extent OBP. If you can't hit for power in todays MLB your path is extremely narrow to make it in the MLB and your upside is limited.

And lets not pretend either that these questions didn't surround Madrigal at the time. Some scouts chose to ignore them others did not. For me it never was his hit tool I don't care what a persons average is for the most part if they both have similar OBP what I care about is SLG%. 

I hope he turns things around he has maybe two years to do so as a prospect.