Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

7 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

The good news is if the White Sox end with the same number of wins as the Marlins, they get the higher pick.

The bad news is the Marlins will have one fewer game to get to that win total.

It kinda sucks there's a scenario where the Marlins get the 3rd pick, but if they played and won Game 162 vs the Pirates, they would have dropped to 6. It could happen.

Here we go with a breakdown for where the Sox can/will/might pick next year.

The Sox cannot catch Baltimore for the #1 pick.  They already have 108 losses.  The Sox can lose 103 games at most.

The Sox currently have 92 losses, while the Royals have 100.  The White Sox can lose a maximum of 103 games if they lose out, so right now, the White Sox need to play 8 losses worse than the Royals over their last 11 games (10 for KC) in order to catch them.  If they Sox go 0-13 to finish at 59-103, KC would need to win no more than 6 games (going 6-4) to stay under the White Sox.  If the teams were to tie, the Sox own the tiebreaker .  If KC loses 5 games or more the rest of the way, the Sox have no way of catching them for the #2 pick.

This is the magic numbers to clinch a higher draft pick than each of the teams left competing with the Sox for the #3 pick. 

At this point the Mets have 82 losses and could in theory still tie the White Sox with the same record, but the Sox have the tiebreaker over the Mets, so they are officially eliminated.  That leaves Toronto, Cincy, Texas, Detroit, San Diego and Miami as able to get the #3 pick.  Even if the Sox were to win out, the absolute worst they can draft in 2018 is #8.

Toronto currently has 83 losses, and the most they can lose is 93 games.  A combination of 1 Toronto win, or 1 White Sox loss the rest of the way eliminates them from the #3 pick.  Again, the Sox own the tiebreaker here.

Cincinnati has 88 losses, with 9 games left to play.  The most they can lose this year is 97 games.  A combination of 5 Sox losses or 5 Cincy wins eliminates them as the White Sox again have the tiebreaker here.

Texas has 88 losses as well, but has 10 games left to play, meaning they can still lose 98 games. A combination of 6 Texas wins or 6 Sox losses eliminates them.

San Diego currently sits at 92 losses with 9 games left to play, meaning they can max out at 101 losses.  The Sox had a worse record than them last year, so the Sox own the tiebreaker.  Chicago need a combination of 9 losses and/or 9 Padres win to pick ahead of htem.

Next up is Detroit who has 91 losses with 10 games left to play.  They can lose a maximum of 101 games this year.  This is also the ONE team left that would WIN the tiebreaker if tied with the Sox at the end of the year and pick ahead of them.  The Sox need a combination of 11 Detroit wins, and Sox losses to stay ahead of the Tigers.

Finally is Miami who are tied with the White Sox with a record of 59-92.  While the White Sox own the tiebreaker here, the Marlins have a make up game with Pittsburgh that may not get made up.  If the game is played, both teams have 11 games left, and both can lose a total of 103 games.  That means that there needs to a combination of 12 White Sox losses and Marlins wins for the White Sox to pick ahead of the Marlins.  Basically the White Sox have to match the Marlins record or worse the rest of the way to at least tie them and keep the pick ahead of them.  If the Marlins make up game is NOT played, the Sox have to play at least 1 loss worse than the Marlins to stay picking ahead of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2018 at 7:56 PM, flavum said:

Draft order through 142 games:

1. Orioles 41-101
  2. Royals 47-95
  3. White Sox 56-86
  4. Padres 56-86
  5. Marlins 56-86
  6. Tigers 59-83
  7. Reds 60-82
  8. Rangers 61-81
  9. Blue Jays 64-78
  10. Mets 65-77
  11. Twins 65-77

Braves get a comp pick at 9 for not signing their guy this year.

Draft order through 152 games (after Game 152):

1. Orioles 44-108
  2. Royals 52-100 (0-1)
  3. Marlins 59-93
  4. White Sox 60-92
  5. Padres 60-92 (1-0)
  6. Tigers 61-91 (1-0)
  7. Rangers 64-88
  8. Reds 65-87  (1-1)
  9. Braves
  10. Blue Jays 69-83 (1-0)
  11. Mets 70-82 (1-0)
  12. Twins 71-81
  13. Giants 72-80

15 minutes ago, zisk said:

I'd gladly pick sixth if we could knock the Cubs into second place this week end.

If the Sox sweep, then I damn well want the Brewers to finish the job next week. Until then, I’m still wanting 3rd or 4th without openly rooting for the Sox opponent this weekend. 

54 minutes ago, zisk said:

I'd gladly pick sixth if we could knock the Cubs into second place this week end.

37 minutes ago, flavum said:

If the Sox sweep, then I damn well want the Brewers to finish the job next week. Until then, I’m still wanting 3rd or 4th without openly rooting for the Sox opponent this weekend. 

This mentality makes no sense to me. Why do you care about beating the Cubs? They aren't rivals and they're definitely going to the playoffs. Losing to the Cubs is the best thing for the long-term future of the Sox. It's mind boggling that I continue to see this sentiment. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1