Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This mentality makes no sense to me. Why do you care about beating the Cubs? They aren't rivals and they're definitely going to the playoffs. Losing to the Cubs is the best thing for the long-term future of the Sox. It's mind boggling that I continue to see this sentiment. 

You must not be reading correctly. I want the Cubs to win because it is better  for the Sox. I’m just not going to watch and want the Cubs to win- because fuck them and their fucking fans. If I wanted the Sox to win and screw the draft pick, then I’d be rooting for what’s worse for the Sox...and that’s not what I’m doing. Also, who fucking cares? It’s just baseball and it doesn’t matter who or what fans want this weekend. It’s not going to change the outcome. 

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This mentality makes no sense to me. Why do you care about beating the Cubs? They aren't rivals and they're definitely going to the playoffs. Losing to the Cubs is the best thing for the long-term future of the Sox. It's mind boggling that I continue to see this sentiment. 

But what you want makes absolutely no difference to the outcome of the game.  Why not root for the Sox, enjoy if they win and if they lose, take solace in the draft pick? 

Quite frankly, I wish there was a way to do a Draft Lottery that wouldn't put as much on the line with September game outcomes. Like, I wouldn't mind it if teams weren't allowed to have the 1st overall pick twice in a 5-year period, or top 3 picks in back-to-back years...stuff like that. I like that the Sox are all-in on a rebuild, but the MLB fan in me wants rules that discourage it because it's better for the game.

Edited by flavum

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't understand this attitude.  It's fine to want the draft pick more, but they ARE rivals.  To deny that is to be BLIND abt the way life is in Chicago.  Fuck the North Side and fuck their baseball team.  I HATE them - if you don't get this, there's any number of Chicago history books out there to explain it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, longshot7 said:

I don't understand this attitude.  It's fine to want the draft pick more, but they ARE rivals.  To deny that is to be BLIND abt the way life is in Chicago.  Fuck the North Side and fuck their baseball team.  I HATE them - if you don't get this, there's any number of Chicago history books out there to explain it.

Same here, Longshot.

14 hours ago, longshot7 said:

I agree with this, the happy ground is cheering for the Sox to win but being able to understand a loss is OK too. 

On the flip side what someone wants doesn't matter to the actual outcome of the game, so this discussion is just pointless.

4 minutes ago, Baker said:

The Marlins would lose the tiebreaker to all of the Sox, Tigers, and Padres. It’s possible they could jump 3 spots by not playing that last make-up game. 

Yep. Like I said, as soon as MLB cancels that game, just add a loss to the Marlins record, because it’s the same thing as not playing. 

1 hour ago, Leonard Zelig said:

How do you figure that?  In this scenario wouldn't the Sox get the higher pick?

Sox 62-100

Miami 62-99

Yes, the Marlins don’t hold the tiebreaker with the Sox, Tigers, or Padres, so them not playing the last game can only help them, not hurt them. So adding a loss with your scenario doesn’t do anything to the order, but you can.

But if it ends up Sox 62-100/ Marlins 61-100, Miami would have a lower winning percentage, and wouldn’t have to play to possibly get the win and knock them down the draft order. So assume the loss there, and they are 61-101. 

8 hours ago, flavum said:

Yes, the Marlins don’t hold the tiebreaker with the Sox, Tigers, or Padres, so them not playing the last game can only help them, not hurt them. So adding a loss with your scenario doesn’t do anything to the order, but you can.

But if it ends up Sox 62-100/ Marlins 61-100, Miami would have a lower winning percentage, and wouldn’t have to play to possibly get the win and knock them down the draft order. So assume the loss there, and they are 61-101. 

Yeah, I see, I misread the earlier posts and thought Miami had the tie breaker.