4/21 Gamethread - Astros @ Sox - 6:10pm / WGN

Welp, with Moncada out i have no interest in this game. Not saying it was a bad decision -- if he was dogging it then it was the best possible decision to take him out and prove a point, but my interest is now 0 for this game. Peace

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Come on, no one expected this from Giolito. Lots of people on here thought he was going to be an ace this year.

I think it was reasonable to think he wouldn't embarrass himself after this spring

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

Guilty.very disappointed but that's baseball.

People always say that "expect the worst, hope for the best" adage, but the reality is in sports you just hope for the best.  There's no need to expect the worst.

Basically, no one can blame you for being optimistic because there really is no point being pessimistic

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Welp, with Moncada out i have no interest in this game. Not saying it was a bad decision -- if he was dogging it then it was the best possible decision to take him out and prove a point, but my interest is now 0 for this game. Peace

Tim Anderson has been good enough for me to watch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Come on, no one expected this from Giolito. Lots of people on here thought he was going to be an ace this year.

I didn't expect Ace quality, but a progression from last year.  ST was a good time, but something has to be wrong with him right now...he's lost a lot of control and velocity.  

7 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I applaud Renteria for pulling out the team's most important player for dogging it in a game where they're getting blown out. Doing things like that help reinforce a work ethic and a culture amongst the players. 

Moncada will never do that again. I wonder what Abreu is going to say to him.

Did he pull him for not hustling or is he hurt? Asking for a friend 

3 minutes ago, Replacement Level Poster said:

It’s just a matter of time before the chemistry is turns bad with this much losing

guys lose interest  

That's a good point.

Makes me wonder if Hahn went too far with this tank stuff. Yeah... yay we might have the #2 pick in the draft next summer. And then all the free agents will laugh and hang up when the Sox call this this winter.

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I seriously doubt the FO thought it would be this bad.  In a normal organization, jobs would be on the line, including the vaunted pitching coach, who, despite his rep.,  has rarely fielded a top staff despite some top talent.

Sox pitching staff MLB rank by WAR and RA9-WAR:

2002: 16 / 15

2003: 5 / 5

2004: 18 / 15

2005: 1 / 1

2006: 4 / 8

2007: 9 / 18

2008: 1 / 6

2009: 4 / 7

2010: 1 / 10

2011: 2 / 8

2012: 12 / 6

2013: 16 / 18

2014: 25 / 25

2015: 9 / 16

2016: 13 / 11

2017: 29 / 23

Had to take the time to call out this lunacy that Don Cooper has never presided over a top staff and this is without addressing the questionable assertion that he's been constantly handed some amazingly talented crew to work with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

That's a good point.

Makes me wonder if Hahn went too far with this tank stuff. Yeah... yay we might have the #2 pick in the draft next summer. And then all the free agents will laugh and hang up when the Sox call this this winter.

Okay.  Let's repeat this a few more times.

There are two (2) or three (3) players on this team that will be on the "winning" White Sox.  Chemistry between 20+ people you won't have soon and the three guys that matter is not that important.

Did the Astros go too far with "this tank stuff"?  What about the Cubs?  The Braves? 

No.  No they didn't.

Edited by AustinIllini

1 minute ago, Jake said:

Sox pitching staff MLB rank by WAR and RA9-WAR:

2002: 16 / 15

2003: 5 / 5

2004: 18 / 15

2005: 1 / 1

2006: 4 / 8

2007: 9 / 18

2008: 1 / 6

2009: 4 / 7

2010: 1 / 10

2011: 2 / 8

2012: 12 / 6

2013: 16 / 18

2014: 25 / 25

2015: 9 / 16

2016: 13 / 11

2017: 29 / 23

Had to take the time to call out this lunacy that Don Cooper has never presided over a top staff and this is without addressing the questionable assertion that he's been constantly handed some amazingly talented crew to work with.

I'll also add that since Cooper took over the Sox had the 3rd best combined pitching WAR and 6th best RA9-WAR over that span of time.

2 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

No one is reporting he's hurt.  

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Moncada&#39;s removal is being termed as a manager&#39;s decision</p>&mdash; Scott Merkin (@scottmerkin) <a href="https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/987847240352911360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 22, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> 

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

Moncada

Anderson

Lopez

Giolito

Rodon

Eloy

Kopech

Robert

Hansen

Dunning 

Adolfo

Burdi

Its possible Yolmer/Davidson/Avi are in that group 

Austin said “2-3 on THIS roster” and Balta said “I think 10-15,” so we’re discussing the White Sox roster, not all of the minor leagues.

Edited by soxfan49

Just now, AustinIllini said:

There are two (2) or three (3) players on this team that will be on the "winning" White Sox.  Chemistry between 20+ people you won't have soon and the three guys that matter is not that important.

Mostly agree, but it is hard to build chemistry when you're losing 10-0 every night.

Just now, daggins said:

Mostly agree, but it is hard to build chemistry when you're losing 10-0 every night.

You don't need it with this roster.

The only chemistry you care about right now is the middle infield (both new guys).  Pitching chemistry?  Reylo is going to be fine.

1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

Anderson, Moncada, Lopez, Abreu(?), Giolito(?)

Can't really see anyone else being keepers for that team.  The bullpen will be entirely different, and the entire rotation is probably still in the minors at this point.  The outfield is in the minors...and half the infield as well.  After thinking this through...you're right.  I'd say a max of 5 guys make it to the 2020 team.

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic