4/21 Gamethread - Astros @ Sox - 6:10pm / WGN

1 minute ago, RockRaines said:

I think we have the young talent to improve this offense but what the hell are we going to do about the pitching.  Rodon NEEDS to come back strong. 

There really is no immediate improvement for this staff.  Just got to struggle through this until the MiLB staff replaces all but Rodon, Lopez, and Giolito(hopefully)

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

One thing is sure. If he goes 2 or 3 innings and gives up 7 runs 7 walks next game, he's GOT to be sent down.

Why?  Does it matter on this team right now? Let him work out his problems in the majors or let him fail.  it doesn't matter this year.

Edited by AustinIllini

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

One thing is sure. If he goes 2 or 3 innings and gives up 7 runs 7 walks next game, he's GOT to be sent down.

I understand this POV but I want Coop working with him over anyone else.  Dude is pretty crucial to our future if he pans out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RockRaines said:

I think we have the young talent to improve this offense but what the hell are we going to do about the pitching.  Rodon NEEDS to come back strong. 

There aren’t any great solutions at the moment.  Can’t rush Kopech because of this mess, but the other starters in Charlotte are really AAA fodder.  I think Santiago is our best option if we want to bump someone from the rotation.  At least there are a couple of interesting bullpen guys down in Charlotte if needed.

Just now, Joshua Strong said:

Question:

If Kopech is called up do you want him to start in the pen or do you want him to start in the rotation?

Rotation.  But I dont want to call him up yet.  Let him dominate down there for a little.  Also would it impact service time?  

1 minute ago, Joshua Strong said:

Question:

If Kopech is called up do you want him to start in the pen or do you want him to start in the rotation?

Rotation for me.  Maybe give him an inning cutoff...but he should be starting off the bat IMO.

1 minute ago, Joshua Strong said:

Question:

Jesus Christ do not put these guys in the bullpen for God's sake. 

By far, by a long shot, the #1 thing I want from Michael Kopech this year is 150+ innings. Are you happy with where Fulmer is now? That's what you risk if you throw Kopech into the bullpen.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

By far, by a long shot, the #1 thing I want from Michael Kopech this year is 150+ innings. Are you happy with where Fulmer is now? That's what you risk if you throw Kopech into the bullpen.

Starting him in the pen would help preserve innings. 

I'm not advocating that he stays in the pen all year, I'm just saying for a short period of time (2-3 weeks?) when he is called up.  I want him to hit that inning benchmark too.

I don't think Fulmer is struggling because he started in the pen. 

8 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Greg my man, are you going to be at the games next weekend? I think I'll fly down to catch a couple of the games.

I dunno. Maybe if the weather gets better. I know I can't go Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

IMO hes a future Ace. So I want to treat him as such.  Let him develop until they REALLY need him.  No reason to rush or change his routine.

Just now, Joshua Strong said:

Starting him in the pen would help preserve innings. 

I'm not advocating that he stays in the pen all year, I'm just saying for a short period of time (2-3 weeks?) when he is called up.  I want him to hit that inning benchmark too.

I don't think Fulmer is struggling because he started in the pen. 

If you don't call him up until September 10, then fine put him in the bullpen. Everyone here is then ok with the current starting rotation all year right?

Just now, RockRaines said:

Honestly man, I bet there are alot of folks, me included, that would love to buy you a beer in person.

I would pay for Greg’s ticket & buy him unlimited beers if he wanted to go to a game in Chicago.  Would be a small price to pay to finally meet the legendary Greg in person.

• Like 1

Maybe they oversold the notion that his fastball was so much more deceptive because of Lucas’ length and extension.

Unfortunately, we now have the pitching version of Konerko/Beckham/Quentin on our hands...very articulate/cerebral, overthinks things, too hard on himself, wants to please everyone.  

Getting through to the other side feels like an iffy proposition right now (assuming there’s not a physical issue.)

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would pay for Greg’s ticket & buy him unlimited beers if he wanted to go to a game in Chicago.  Would be a small price to pay to finally meet the legendary Greg in person.

I'm pretty sure I'll be at a couple games this summer at The Cell. My mom is ill and it used to be when I came in I spent all my time with my mom and dad and sibs who didn't want to go to games. Now when I come in I can't spend all the time with my mom at assisted living place. I could spend all my time eating beef sandwiches at Bonos or Portillos in suburbia! Damn I love 'em. But Sox used to have great corned beef at the park. Probably still got it.

16 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Damn I just booked my tix. I'll be there Saturday for sure. Let me know if you go to any of the other games.

I will do that. Man Buehrle, you are an incredible fan to fly in for this crap. What hotel u staying at? The one by the park or in the Plaza somewhere or Power and Light?

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I'd buy him some beers.  It would be interesting just to have the back and forth in person.  I've met lots of folks from this board and its always been positive.

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic