4/21 Gamethread - Astros @ Sox - 6:10pm / WGN

The 4-14 start actually isn't the worst in team history through 18 games. The 1948 club went 3-15. So they've got that going for them!

Seriously this is beyond bad even in a rebuilding year, now you've got guys not hustling (Moncada tonight which was why he was pulled) and the manager saying earlier in the week the team's "focus" isn't where it should be.

A.Garcia has reverted back to his bad self meaning if he doesn't turn it around he'll have zero trade value, Giolito seems to have left his control in Arizona, the pitching staff may be worse than the staffs from 1968-1970 and tonight they tied the team record, four straight games 10 or more runs (50 allowed in the last five games).

1-7 start at home (wonder when the last time that happened?)

Nothing you can say I guess save the 106 loss season of 1970 could be broken this year.

14 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Lucas stunk today but all have stunk except for Reynaldo. You can’t send 4/5ths of the starting staff down. Let them pitch through their problems. If will get better 

We NEED Rodon, Giolito, Kopech and Lopez to be good to win a title.  If one falters its gonna be hard, if two falter its going to take a lot of work and trades to get the arms.  

9 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The 4-14 start actually isn't the worst in team history through 18 games. The 1948 club went 3-15. So they've got that going for them!

Seriously this is beyond bad even in a rebuilding year, now you've got guys not hustling (Moncada tonight which was why he was pulled) and the manager saying earlier in the week the team's "focus" isn't where it should be.

A.Garcia has reverted back to his bad self meaning if he doesn't turn it around he'll have zero trade value, Giolito seems to have left his control in Arizona, the pitching staff may be worse than the staffs from 1968-1970 and tonight they tied the team record, four straight games 10 or more runs (50 allowed in the last five games).

1-7 start at home (wonder when the last time that happened?)

Nothing you can say I guess save the 106 loss season of 1970 could be broken this year.

If i was managing...My main goal for Avi:  I want you to take a walk.  Foul pitches off...if you get a hit, that's great.  But I want you to walk.  Pick a zone on the plate and zero in.  anything beyond that out of the zone TAKE.  everything else that's close try to battle...build on that.  

Every one of his at bats he's starting 0-2 or 1-2...and you look at the pitch zone and there are 3 to 5 balls up there with maybe a strike.  Pitchers don't throw anything in the zone to him.  Of course he isn't going to square anything up for good contact on shit out of the zone, so he needs to shrink his batter eye and swing at HIS pitch.

Edited by TheBlackSox8

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I think we have some pretty decent insurance there in Hansen, Cease and Dunning.

Let’s not forget this upcoming draft as well.

From what I've seen so far...McClure looks like someone to pay attention to as well.  He could be right behind these guys once they're up here.  If he continues his current progression...he could be used as a piece to get someone the team needs, or he can replace someone the team trades from the rotation.  I'm carefully optimistic for his future.  Had an impressive game tonight...and so far so good this season.

That was a brutal game to attend. Probably one of the worst in a while for me. Even with it being the Astros, the Sox just look off on all fronts right now. Pitching is just a disaster. I do think we should start being a little concerned about Gio right now too. He doesn't look good at all. 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I'm pretty sure I'll be at a couple games this summer at The Cell. My mom is ill and it used to be when I came in I spent all my time with my mom and dad and sibs who didn't want to go to games. Now when I come in I can't spend all the time with my mom at assisted living place. I could spend all my time eating beef sandwiches at Bonos or Portillos in suburbia! Damn I love 'em. But Sox used to have great corned beef at the park. Probably still got it.

How much for assisted living in Chicago or KS?

Quad Cities...around $4500-5500 per month where my mom will stay (age 89), all out of pocket. 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would pay for Greg’s ticket & buy him unlimited beers if he wanted to go to a game in Chicago.  Would be a small price to pay to finally meet the legendary Greg in person.

Thanks guys. I guarantee you in real life you would find me normal and fairly quiet. I would want the Sox to win the game we are at even though the game means nothing right now for either KC or Sox. I probably would make some dumb predictions about what is about to happen in the game (but not as bad as the fatalist Indians Randy Quaid fan in Major league). I would ask more questions about the rebuild than act as if I know it all. On a message board you either go large or go home. You have to make your points, make 'em with conviction and go from there. Generally if the post is longer, somebody will take one line you make and misrepresent that one point, and all hell breaks loose after that.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinIllini said:

Why?  Does it matter on this team right now? Let him work out his problems in the majors or let him fail.  it doesn't matter this year.

Send him down. It doesn't matter if it doesn't matter, when you're that incompetent as a major league pitcher then you should not be in the major leagues, PERIOD. I love the guy...shit I got him on my dynasty fantasy team, but he is a complete a total joke at this point. 

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe they oversold the notion that his fastball was so much more deceptive because of Lucas’ length and extension.

Unfortunately, we now have the pitching version of Konerko/Beckham/Quentin on our hands...very articulate/cerebral, overthinks things, too hard on himself, wants to please everyone.  

Getting through to the other side feels like an iffy proposition right now (assuming there’s not a physical issue.)

From what I’ve seen of him he is still out of sync with his mechanics at least half the time in the regular season. He needs to consistently replicate his mechanics or he isn’t a major leaguer. It’s that simple. But he still has time to improve there.

I think with his windup, slowing it down and being even more deliberate could help him. To me it almost looked like he was trying to go too fast.

Edited by soxforlife05

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic