Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chicago White Sox

4/21 Gamethread - Astros @ Sox - 6:10pm / WGN

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

I applaud Renteria for pulling out the team's most important player for dogging it in a game where they're getting blown out. Doing things like that help reinforce a work ethic and a culture amongst the players. 

Moncada will never do that again. I wonder what Abreu is going to say to him.

Hmmm. I know you guys despise Greg, but at least recognize my take is possibly true. You know, when a team is this bad, it "could" affect some players' desire to a.) hustle. b.) play proper baseball. For instance, I won't make excuses for Avi, but why draw a walk when it doesn't matter a bit?? Just hack away (and begin sucking as Avi has sucked all season). Meanwhile, a young stud like Moncada .... it takes a special Pete Rose type attitude about baseball to hustle all the time. Can you blame some young studs for either not hustling or totally losing focus (some of Anderson's errors)? My point is when you tank THIS BADLY, you better expect some shit to happen, like young guys being yanked from games for not hustling, guys never taking a walk, etc. Cause it's a team game and if the team is losing 8 of 10 games, what the frick difference does playing the game the right way make? Call me when we're good, and then I'll bust ass every minute of every game, Moncada could tell Ricky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, flavum said:

The Sox were 4-11 going into yesterday’s game. They just suck.

You try doing your job after having watched your coworker have a massive brain bleed right in front of you.

Oh wait.  You can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Hmmm. I know you guys despise Greg, but at least recognize my take is possibly true. You know, when a team is this bad, it "could" affect some players' desire to a.) hustle. b.) play proper baseball. For instance, I won't make excuses for Avi, but why draw a walk when it doesn't matter a bit?? Just hack away (and begin sucking as Avi has sucked all season). Meanwhile, a young stud like Moncada .... it takes a special Pete Rose type attitude about baseball to hustle all the time. Can you blame some young studs for either not hustling or totally losing focus (some of Anderson's errors)? My point is when you tank THIS BADLY, you better expect some shit to happen, like young guys being yanked from games for not hustling, guys never taking a walk, etc. Cause it's a team game and if the team is losing 8 of 10 games, what the frick difference does playing the game the right way make? Call me when we're good, and then I'll bust ass every minute of every game, Moncada could tell Ricky.

Ah, to live in greg's head.  you must think baseball players are dumb.  We all know what this is.  Rick Hahn makes it clear to the coaches and the players what this is.

 

Jesus, greg! Do you honestly think the players are stupid?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

You try doing your job after having watched your coworker have a massive brain bleed right in front of you.

Oh wait.  You can't.

My heart breaks over the Farquar situation. If that's why we suck, I can understand it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jake said:

 

This is not good at all. Giolito looked cooked out there tonight. I imagine he is either optioned back to Charlotte or put on the disabled list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

Ah, to live in greg's head.  you must think baseball players are dumb.  We all know what this is.  Rick Hahn makes it clear to the coaches and the players what this is.

 

Jesus, greg! Do you honestly think the players are stupid?  

Not really stupid. So the players know it's a total rebuild, fine. When you are down 4-0 in the first and 8-0 after two, and lose 8 of every 10 games, you might lose focus and/or loaf. I stand by my statement. Why work the count if you are Avi? What does it matter if he walks? We're still losing by six or more most nights. So hack away and pop up or ground out. Just tell me you agree this is 'possible.' Thank u.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

:lolhitting

 

Hey that smiley still exists yay!

All we need now is the throw up emoji back and ST is complete.

EDIT!!!!! :puke:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he isn't hurt, he needs to change something up in his delivery or something.   Do you let him do that in the minors, or let him work through it in the majors?   That's for the FO to decide, but if he's hurt, I'm wondering what the problem could be.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

This is not good at all. Giolito looked cooked out there tonight. I imagine he is either optioned back to Charlotte or put on the disabled list.

Im not concerned.  #1 its been freezing.  #2 they are trying to get him to stop overthrowing his fastball because he telegraphs his pitches.  They want them all from same arm slot with same effort.  His stuff is still awesome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

If he isn't hurt, he needs to change something up in his delivery or something.   Do you let him do that in the minors, or let him work through it in the majors?   That's for the FO to decide, but if he's hurt, I'm wondering what the problem could be.  

 

He is having trouble with consistency and command while trying to not telegraph every pitch.  No harm in keeping him up for now.  We arent competing for anything.   I believe he can work it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, flavum said:

The Sox were 4-11 going into yesterday’s game. They just suck.

With games that looked just like this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fathom said:

With games that looked just like this 

Bad starting pitching, bad bullpen, dead offense.

 

Yep it all checks out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RockRaines said:

He is having trouble with consistency and command while trying to not telegraph every pitch.  No harm in keeping him up for now.  We arent competing for anything.   I believe he can work it out.

I was more unhappy when I heard fans booing the kid in a rebuild year, but that's partly because Giolito the person from all accounts, is awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

If he isn't hurt, he needs to change something up in his delivery or something.   Do you let him do that in the minors, or let him work through it in the majors?   That's for the FO to decide, but if he's hurt, I'm wondering what the problem could be.  

 

Sometimes these really tall pitchers have command problems. Randy Johnson to the rescue? For advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Engel might have the worst swing I've seen for someone who isn't paid to throw a baseball in MLB history 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with keeping Gio up at this point is that he is taxing the pen badly. You can only get so many innings out of the long relievers.

 

If they insist on keeping him in the majors, maybe it would be better if he worked out of the bullpen this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s clear that changes are desperately needed, but honestly I don’t know what can be done to fix this mess.  Santiago should probably take MiGo’s spot in the rotation.  I hate saying this, but Giolito probably should be sent to Charlotte for a few weeks to get his mind right.  I guess Voldstad could be his replacement in the interim.  I’d probably send down Bummer as well and call up Cedeno.  Not sure why the Sox felt the need to rush the kid.  The staff will still be a mess but hopefully a bit more stable.  On the offensive side, the changes are pretty simple.  First, get Engel out the lineup and give Trayce an extended look in CF.  Then I’d move Avi down in the order.  Can’t keep trotting him out there in the two-hole when he’s refusing to take walks & swinging at everything.  Put Sanchez there against RHP & Anderson there against LHP.  These changes may only have small impacts, but losing like this is demoralizing and will NOT help with the development of the few future core guys currently on the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In his first 16 career starts, Dallas Keuchel, tonight's opponent and Cy Young Winner: 3-8, 5.27 ERA, and in his 16th start he lasted 2.1 innings and gave up 7 runs. Tonight was Giolito's 15th career start. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ability to like posts is the best part of this update.  I'm being extremely generous with them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Balta1701 said:

In his first 16 career starts, Dallas Keuchel, tonight's opponent and Cy Young Winner: 3-8, 5.27 ERA, and in his 16th start he lasted 2.1 innings and gave up 7 runs. Tonight was Giolito's 15th career start. 

And even after he got good he struggled.  It's fine.  no worries yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, J.Reedfan8 said:

I was more unhappy when I heard fans booing the kid in a rebuild year, but that's partly because Giolito the person from all accounts, is awesome. 

He was a guy who loved his fastball velocity so he overthrew it and hitters knew it.  They are trying to reteach him how to pitch.  Its a long season and I am not sure we get any benefit from sending him down.  Let him work it against the good hitters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Giolito is overthrowing to try to get more velocity, I’d hate to see him underthrowing.

That looked Jon Rauch-esque out there.  Not trusting his stuff.  Tentative.  It’s easy enough to understand when your fastball has lost 6-8 mph post TJS and you’re facing the best team on the planet that absolutely destroyed the Sox the previous night.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×