4/21 Gamethread - Astros @ Sox - 6:10pm / WGN

Just now, caulfield12 said:

If Giolito is overthrowing to try to get more velocity, I’d hate to see him underthrowing.

That looked Jon Rauch-esque out there.  Not trusting his stuff.  Tentative.  It’s easy enough to understand when your fastball has lost 6-8 mph post TJS and you’re facing the best team on the planet that absolutely destroyed the Sox the previous night.

He WAS.  Hes not now.  He's trying to match arm slot and tempo.  Obviously its a work in progress.

I heard this from a friend who seemed to know what hes talking about.  But he could be full of shit

1 minute ago, RockRaines said:

He was a guy who loved his fastball velocity so he overthrew it and hitters knew it.  They are trying to reteach him how to pitch.  Its a long season and I am not sure we get any benefit from sending him down.  Let him work it against the good hitters.

Agreed.  I want him coached by Coop.  

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

In his first 16 career starts, Dallas Keuchel, tonight's opponent and Cy Young Winner: 3-8, 5.27 ERA, and in his 16th start he lasted 2.1 innings and gave up 7 runs. Tonight was Giolito's 15th career start. 

That’s great except for the fact that Giolito’s stuff has gradually disappeared.  Not good when you can’t command 91 MPH fastballs when you were previously throwing the ball 98.  Hopefully this is all tied to mechanical issues, but until he’s back closer to the mid 90’s it’s hard to consider these lumps as normal growing pains and not something much worse.

3 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

I'm probably more frustrated with him than worried.  I'm an impatient person lol. 

Agreed.  Rebuilds are trying times.  Cubs fans didn't get it early on.  You get it, I get it.  Almost everyone here gets it.  There are a handful of exceptions.  It doesn't get any easier, but the "we should have gone for it every year" crowd is kind of obnoxious.

Edited by AustinIllini

Let’s forget the fastball for a moment.

He could get away with that if he was displaying the curve, slider and change he has showcased in the past.

Five years ago, 89-92/93 was still slight above MLB average.

As long as you had that 10+ mph differential with your offspeed stuff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

He could get away with that if he was displaying the curve, slider and change he has showcased in the past.

Yep.  I think his confidence in those is way down since hes trying to throw everything the same.  I'm hoping when it warms up he feels the ball better.  Everything he's throwing seems like his eyes were closed.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

It's not like he was overpowering last year. But he did a good job of throwing high fastballs and had good command of his changeup.  Still not sure what happened to his slider.  Go back and watch the Tigers game he excelled in last year. He dominated with that slider

• Like 2

Just now, fathom said:

It's not like he was overpowering last year. But he did a good job of throwing high fastballs and had good command of his changeup.  Still not sure what happened to his slider.  Go back and watch the Tigers game he excelled in last year. He dominated with that slider

His curve was just fine in AZ.  Not sure whats going on

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

If this is mental, and it appears it may be given his spring training and reports from bullpen sessions, I dont know that Coop and/or facing MLB hitters will help much. 

If it's not mental, I want Coop coaching him.  And the only person who is really going to tell if it is mental is Coop

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

If this is mental, and it appears it may be given his spring training and reports from bullpen sessions, I dont know that Coop and/or facing MLB hitters will help much. 

And it was the AAA pitching coach that saved him last year

Just now, RockRaines said:

I think we have the young talent to improve this offense but what the hell are we going to do about the pitching.  Rodon NEEDS to come back strong. 

The good news is, we might actually be the most prepared in the minors with pitching.  Our pitching prospects have looked pretty good so far.  Unfortunately, that doesn't help this team.

40 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Hmmm. I know you guys despise Greg, but at least recognize my take is possibly true. You know, when a team is this bad, it "could" affect some players' desire to a.) hustle. b.) play proper baseball. For instance, I won't make excuses for Avi, but why draw a walk when it doesn't matter a bit?? Just hack away (and begin sucking as Avi has sucked all season). Meanwhile, a young stud like Moncada .... it takes a special Pete Rose type attitude about baseball to hustle all the time. Can you blame some young studs for either not hustling or totally losing focus (some of Anderson's errors)? My point is when you tank THIS BADLY, you better expect some shit to happen, like young guys being yanked from games for not hustling, guys never taking a walk, etc. Cause it's a team game and if the team is losing 8 of 10 games, what the frick difference does playing the game the right way make? Call me when we're good, and then I'll bust ass every minute of every game, Moncada could tell Ricky.

You pull him out of the game so that not hustling down the line/not 'playing the game the right way' doesn't become a regular occurrence. 

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic