4/21 Gamethread - Astros @ Sox - 6:10pm / WGN

Just now, fathom said:

His curveball sucks again also

I can't remember the last good curve he's thrown.  It might have been in spring training.  Not going to make it very far with absolutely no command and no out-pitch.  I certainly expected struggles with the young pitching staff, but Gio has been absolutely bewildering and frustrating.

Just now, justBLAZE said:

They are dealing with the whole Danny situation from last night, just saying but yea Gio has been nothing like the game vs Cubs in ST.

Same stuff he's thrown all season, he's just facing a good team. Without luck, twins would have had ten runs vs him

Well, Giolito you're not giving me a reason to watch this team play when you're pitching.  I understand the need for them to grow from here, but I'm tempted to just catch the box scores until some other guys come up.  Seeing Lucas struggle this badly is very disheartening.  I want to watch these guys develop, but this is just hard to watch.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I can't remember the last good curve he's thrown.  It might have been in spring training.  Not going to make it very far with absolutely no command and no out-pitch.  I certainly expected struggles with the young pitching staff, but Gio has been absolutely bewildering and frustrating.

It was ok vs Twins. His fastball is simply horrible at the moment and he's not throwing that tight slider he did last year.

Where did the 93-95 mph fastball from spring training go...?

Jesus.  Engel needs to go.  You need to be playing more towards the RCF gap on a changeup.

he likes to play shallow.  That seems to be his thing that he does...I've noticed however he is struggling to get to those balls hit in the gaps that he could probably reach if he was playing at normal depth.

Edited by TheBlackSox8

2 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

Well, Giolito you're not giving me a reason to watch this team play when you're pitching.  I understand the need for them to grow from here, but I'm tempted to just catch the box scores until some other guys come up.  Seeing Lucas struggle this badly is very disheartening.  I want to watch these guys develop, but this is just hard to watch.

Feelings about Gio in this board were somewhat mixed.  I recall reading some concern that he may be as developed as he can be and yet not very good :(

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic