White sox could be dark horse for machado

Whisox05

It is still putting a lot of eggs in one basket. That said, a real superstar would help this team massively. If I'm paying for one, I'm just throwing out the Brinx truck at Bryce Harper. Hell with everyone else...that guy is someone you pay to watch play...period. 

All that said, I think the Sox are better going short-term with guys who maybe weren't the first to sign.  Usually there are a few good guys that you can get on shorter-term more affordable deals with your cap space.  Hope you find your superstars internally (Jimenez / Kopech / Yoan). 

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It is still putting a lot of eggs in one basket. That said, a real superstar would help this team massively. If I'm paying for one, I'm just throwing out the Brinx truck at Bryce Harper. Hell with everyone else...that guy is someone you pay to watch play...period. 

All that said, I think the Sox are better going short-term with guys who maybe weren't the first to sign.  Usually there are a few good guys that you can get on shorter-term more affordable deals with your cap space.  Hope you find your superstars internally (Jimenez / Kopech / Yoan). 

I have no issue putting an offer out to both of them.

And yes, hopefully, the White Sox will develop a star or two internally. But honestly, we have our one and only chance to add a superstar coming up in the 2019 and 2020 offseasons; after that Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, and others start hitting arbitration. The ability to add a top flight player and afford it completely is why you do a rebuild. Whether it's Harper, Machado, Kimbrel, or whoever else; land me a top flight player. Land me a guy this offseason who makes this team a lot better on day 1.

The Contending team is likely to consist of the following:

Outfield from the following: Eloy, Robert, Avi, Adolfo, Rutherford or Basabe.

The Infield and DH will include: Anderson, Moncada, Abreu, Sanchez and Davidson

Catcher could be Zavala, Collins or a Free Agent.

With the outfield logjam, the Sox might move Eloy to first base. You all know my concern about the lack of a LH middle of the order bat. Even if Rutherford, or Basabe, make the contending roster, odds are that neither will be a middle of the order, power bat. That makes Harper so much more desirable than Machado. He's also a better hitter. If they are going to spend big, Bryce is my guy.

Here is my 2020 dream team:

2B Moncada

3B Sanchez

DH Abreu

RF Harper

1B Eloy

CF Robert

LF Adolfo/Basabe/Rutherford (whoever wins the job) If it's Adolfo, he can play RF and move Harper to LF

C  ????

SS Anderson

Edited by Lillian

Bah, either sign Abreu or one of the other 1b on the market after 2019 (Goldschmidt, Smoak) and leave Eloy in LF in that setup. Your OF becomes Eloy/Robert/Harper.

There may be the occasional pitcher that looks at that OF, realizes they're on the mound that day, and winds up in the witness protection program before the first pitch.

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Bah, either sign Abreu or one of the other 1b on the market after 2019 (Goldschmidt, Smoak) and leave Eloy in LF in that setup. Your OF becomes Eloy/Robert/Harper.

There may be the occasional pitcher that looks at that OF, realizes they're on the mound that day, and winds up in the witness protection program before the first pitch.

I'd be ok with that, as well. As long as the Sox add Harper, over Machado, I'd be happy. I'd love that LH power bat and .400 OBP in the middle of the order.

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'd be ok with that, as well. As long as the Sox add Harper, over Machado, I'd be happy. I'd love that LH power bat and .400 OBP in the middle of the order.

I don't care about the LH/RH thing nearly as much as you obviously, but if Sanchez can be a 2 win player defensively in the IF and Anderson is a decent SS, but Garcia isn't a useful OF this year, that's my case for Harper.

And either way, we have the money for one of these guys, maybe 2. I still want one of these big relievers, with where our bullpen is right now I think the utility of one of them would be obvious.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just thinking about this, but does the Yankees having an IF of Gregorious, Torres, & Andujar change their desire to add Machado to a record breaking contract?  If so, who else would be serious threats to add him?

You would think they'd pass on Manny given that lineup. 

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just thinking about this, but does the Yankees having an IF of Gregorious, Torres, & Andujar change their desire to add Machado to a record breaking contract?  If so, who else would be serious threats to add him?

I kind of doubt it.  Having Jeter didn't stop them from throwing tons of money at Arod.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I kind of doubt it.  Having Jeter didn't stop them from throwing tons of money at Arod.

Yea, but A-Rod was willing to move to third. There is no spot to move DiDi too. I know DIdi isn't ARod, but he is still a player no sane team should be considering replacing and if he's going to the OF, then the Yankees should probably just go for Harper instead. 

I just know the AL sucks this year...we already know Boston, NYY, Cleveland and Houston are in. LAA is probably in too while maybe Toronto or the Twinkies fight it out. the rest is cannon fodder. 

2 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Yea, but A-Rod was willing to move to third. There is no spot to move DiDi too. I know DIdi isn't ARod, but he is still a player no sane team should be considering replacing and if he's going to the OF, then the Yankees should probably just go for Harper instead. 

I just know the AL sucks this year...we already know Boston, NYY, Cleveland and Houston are in. LAA is probably in too while maybe Toronto or the Twinkies fight it out. the rest is cannon fodder. 

Giancarlo and Judge might have something to say about those spots too.

With where the Yankees are right now, their best FA bet might look like Kershaw if they could somehow pull that off.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Giancarlo and Judge might have something to say about those spots too.

Stanton is a DH. They are playing Gardner, Hicks in the OF right now. Gardner is pesky, but you could move him to CF, Judge to left and Harper to right, Hicks to the bench. I just think the Yankees have more flexibility in the OF. Their IF is totally set for a long time....Gleber-2B, DD-SS, Andujar-3, Sanch-C....Bird at 1B is the only question mark and that's only because he always is injured, but if healthy that is a hell of an infield.  

David Kaplan has said that the White Sox are not going to sign any big free agents this coming off season. Bruce Levine has said the White Sox are going to sign some big free agents this off season. We shall see who is right.

3 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

David Kaplan has said that the White Sox are not going to sign any big free agents this coming off season. Bruce Levine has said the White Sox are going to sign some big free agents this off season. We shall see who is right.

Has Kaplan ever been in on any Sox info before?  I know he's all in the Cubs stuff, but can't say I've ever recalled him breaking anything Sox related.  

Just now, Lillian said:

Gregorius will be a free agent in 2019. They may prefer to extend him, instead of signing Machado. In any case, it's hard to see them signing both.

They need pitching more than they need Machado.

Gregorius is a FA after the 2019 season, not before.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Gregorius is a FA after the 2019 season, not before.

I understand that, but the point remains: The Yankees don't need both of them. Which one and which contract the front office will prefer, is the question. How much do you suppose Gregorius would cost them? This article provides some insight into the issue:

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2018/4/9/17212616/yankees-didi-gregorius-contract-extension-shortstop-manny-machado

Moreover, you know me, so I'd consider that NY has enough rh hitting thunder, and therefore Didi provides better balance. If he ends up costing much less, it might make more sense to resign him and spend the difference on more pitching.

Edited by Lillian
content

46 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Has Kaplan ever been in on any Sox info before?  I know he's all in the Cubs stuff, but can't say I've ever recalled him breaking anything Sox related.  

Bruce Levine is actually a reporter.  Kaplan is a tv personality.  They really shouldn't be treated as equals when talking about actual reporting.  Kaplan is worth about as much as a Sean Hannity is to news reporting.

Superstar position players that are young enough to be expected to stay stars throughout your entire contention window don't show up very often. Normally, I'm a fan of signing free agents at the time that you need them, so as to minimize the risk of regression and injury -- but sometimes market forces incentivize teams to consider different types of risks.

I'm in favor of signing Machado (or Harper) because this is when he's available. You can't get him when you'd rather have him. Yeah, it's too soon for this team to sign short term assets, but it's never too soon to add long-term assets.

Also, RE: Harper vs. Machado -- our minor league system depth chart should literally no bearing on which one we choose. Unless the guy being signed blocks a currently contributing MLB player, thus reducing the effectiveness of the addition, you can't worry about it. Most of these guys will bust, and even if they don't, and you DO create a logjam, you can trade the prospect for something you need more. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 1