White sox could be dark horse for machado

Whisox05

Hi8, You sound like Gary Coleman talking to Todd Bridges on Different Strokes, lol.

That's even cornier than Benetti's line about (Private First Class) Santiago and ordering a Code Red from A Few Good Men during the game this afternoon.  Wonder how many caught that one?  Of course, Santiago was DEAD by that point, so making a joke about someone named Santiago who had been fragged by his fellow soldiers when Tom Cruise was the one with the actual line from the movie makes just about zero sense, but oh well.

I think the infield is the one area where we don't have to worry. Sanchez looks solid at 3rd base, Anderson, Moncada and Abreu are all good solid players. Castilla looks to be a good signing.

The front office should be spending their bucks to start to fill the future holes.

The outfield is a mess. With Avi regressing, Engel not being able to hit a beachball, never mind a baseball and Delmonica stuttering, we probably have the worst outfield in the majors. Add onto that the struggles of the rotation and unless we think we are going to compete in 2019 or 2020, then save the money on Machado.

When we do decide to pull the plug and spend, I reckon that we will need a centre fielder, a right fielder, a couple of solid experienced starters and some bullpen arms from either trade or free agency. Machado would be a luxury.

The rebuild will take time and patience, a move for Machado goes against that.

41 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If Jimenez and Robert/Basabe aren’t in LF and CF, something went seriously awry...at any rate, we won’t be deciding on the internal outfield situation until the last 2-3 months of next season.

The challenge for us is timing.  Jimenez should be up this year.  The rest of our real OF talent is in A ball.  I have a feeling Robert can move fast and Basabe should hopefully get half a season of playing time in AA this year if all goes well with those two you’re looking at early 2020 ETAs.  Adolfo, Rutherford, & Gonzalez are probably a year behind those other two.

Ultimately, we can’t wait on all these guys before we attempt to go for it.  My expectation is for Robert to be an early 2020 call up and the Sox the trading for a cost-controlled RF prior to the 2020 season or signing a free agent to fill the hole for a couple of years this coming off-season.

Luckily, RF won’t be incredibly expensive.

If we ger a big league average catcher out of Zavala/Collins, that leaves a lot of money for filling in the pitching puzzle with 2-3 key signings that don’t break the bank...one could/should be an elite closer if we don’t produce one of our own (Burdi?) in the next 18 months.

Heck, we can still get Kimbrel, McCutcheon/AJ Pollock/Adam Jones/Leonys Martin and have a lot of money left over to play with.  

Pollock is the only FA outfielder I would give 3-4 years to, other than Harper, of course.

Edited by caulfield12