Will Rick Renteria be managing the team in 2020?

ron883

Will Rick Renteria still be managing the team in 2020?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Will Ricky still be managing the team in 2020?

• Yes
    • No
    • Omar Vizquel will be manager

Good question. Knowing the Sox reluctance to make changes and their devotion to loyalty, I'd think he would be. He seems to be doing his best to hold guys accountable during this rebuilding and some players do seem to understand that. My only concern, it's a big one is that guys don't seem to be grasping or understanding the concepts of the "fundamentals" in the game. That isn't all on the manager and coaches to be sure, much of it is on the players for being "baseball-stupid".

My hope is that Rick would start to take a more aggressive approach in this regard and if guys can't or won't learn, he use the power that he has in regards to playing time to reinforce that they better start learning them.

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Good question. Knowing the Sox reluctance to make changes and their devotion to loyalty, I'd think he would be. He seems to be doing his best to hold guys accountable during this rebuilding and some players do seem to understand that. My only concern, it's a big one is that guys don't seem to be grasping or understanding the concepts of the "fundamentals" in the game. That isn't all on the manager and coaches to be sure, much of it is on the players for being "baseball-stupid".

My hope is that Rick would start to take a more aggressive approach in this regard and if guys can't or won't learn, he use the power that he has in regards to playing time to reinforce that they better start learning them.

Yeah I agree with this assessment. I mean, they offered Ventura his managerial position after the 2016 season. With the way players are praising Renteria for how he manages this team, I would say he is in it for the long-haul. I don't really mind him that much to be honest. He's not the reason this team is losing. It's their lack of talent, and I would even say some of the coaches. It's always so easy to blame the managers and coaches when a team is dong horribly, but I think the situations are not usually as black and white as we want to make them out to be.

17 hours ago, WBWSF said:

He'll be long gone before 2020. The manager  is always the first to go. I will be surprised if he makes it thru the 2019 season.

Renteria was hired specifically for this rebuild. He is not expected to win immediately. He will most certainly be here in 2020 barring something unforeseen happening.

Way too premature for me to make any statement on Rick related to this years team. I was thoroughly impressed with him last year and think he is a good manager.  That said, baseball is tough and he's going to have some bad squads that will be difficult to manage through (losing regularly is tough, whether you know your team is bad or not..it stings).  

I'm almost of the opinion that Ricky is "too nice".  This has nothing to do with his baseball mind or ability to manage...but it makes me wonder if he's the guy that will get this team over the hump when they develop.   I think there's  a reason Sox brought Vizquel on board.  Also...who's the Wonder Boy manager down there at Kannapolis?  Justin J?   Nothing against Ricky...but I don't think he's here in 2020. 

3 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

If we are following the Cubs blueprint, we all hope a guy like Francona gets let go after the 2019 season and quickly gets scooped up by the Sox, so ideally, no Ricky wont be manager in 2020

It would be better if Joe Maddon was let go and we scooped him up. 

On 4/23/2018 at 11:47 AM, Wanne said:

Also...who's the Wonder Boy manager down there at Kannapolis?  Justin J?   Nothing against Ricky...but I don't think he's here in 2020. 

Wonder boy managers rarely work out. Remember Trey Hillman and Terry Bevington?

Rick Renteria has as much chance of being Sox manager in 2020 as does Balta or Fathom. Well, not literally but in reality, yes. Bank on some name manager who gets axed before then becoming our skipper or simply Omar V.

My odds of 2020 manager

Ricky: 5 percent chance

Omar V: 80 percent chance.

Famous guy from another team: 15 percent chance.

That said, take care of yourself Mr. Renteria. Sad to lose one's mother. Bless u Rick R. Take all the time u need to honor her. Take another week off if you need the time. Mothers are precious folks.