4/22 Games (Covey, Adams, Flores, Henzman)

caulfield12

watching Birm game, Collins a total mess. Taking pitches right down plate and then swinging at pitches helmet high. He also has looked bad defensively, but got a lucky official scorer ruling of wild pitch and not passed ball.  I wonder if they'll consider sending him back to W-S if this continues.

Edited by fathom

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

watching Birm game, Collins a total mess. Taking pitches right down plate and then swinging at pitches helmet high. He also has looked bad defensively, but got a lucky official scorer ruling of wild pitch and not passed ball.  I wonder if they'll consider sending him back to W-S if this continues.

Wonder why he’s been so woefully bad - very disappointing!!

Dash attempted to rally in the bottom of the 10th but came up just short.

Adolfo had a chance for a walk off home run but hit into a force out up the middle, after Rutherford had barely missed tying the game with another double down the RF line.  Still no homers, but 7 doubles already.

Dash have won three games in walk off fashion under Vizquel, the Booker steal of home and two squeeze bunts.  Fun team to follow.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Dash attempted to rally in the bottom of the 10th but came up just short.

Adolfo had a chance for a walk off home run but hit into a force out up the middle, after Rutherford had barely missed tying the game with another double down the RF line.  Still no homers, but 7 doubles already.

Dash have won three games in walk off fashion under Vizquel, the Booker steal of home and two squeeze bunts.  Fun team to follow.

How did Eloy do?

At what point do they promote Booker? At 25 years old it’s kind of sink or swim time for him anyway, and aside from his time at WS last year, he’s hit for average at every level. He may never be much of an MLB contributor but damn, maybe he’s a valuable pinch runner in 2020.

19 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

At what point do they promote Booker? At 25 years old it’s kind of sink or swim time for him anyway, and aside from his time at WS last year, he’s hit for average at every level. He may never be much of an MLB contributor but damn, maybe he’s a valuable pinch runner in 2020.

Probably as soon as Robert is back.

8 minutes ago, J.Reedfan8 said:

New swing. Literally. Gonna take time. He was doing better last year with the hitch at AA, so it'll be a while until he gets going.

But honestly from the numerous at bats I've seen, it has nothing to do with his swing mechanics. He's just not swinging at strikes.  His swing looks decent actually when he lets it fly

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Who goes out?

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Who goes out?

I don’t mean promoted to the MLB, I mean to Birmingham or Charlotte. If he can prove he can hit in both of those spots, I’d bring him up maybe to start 2019 and get some starts in CF. Thompson & Engel stink, and Garcia is more of an IF’er, IMO.

46 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I don’t mean promoted to the MLB, I mean to Birmingham or Charlotte. If he can prove he can hit in both of those spots, I’d bring him up maybe to start 2019 and get some starts in CF. Thompson & Engel stink, and Garcia is more of an IF’er, IMO.

Still means a roster move.  We already cut one OF at Bham.  Who gets cut?

I know people are down on him, but Zack Collins is walking 27.7% of the time, top of the Southern League, next highest is 20.6%. He's running a .059 BABIP. If he had last year's .283 BABIP, he'd have an OBP of .404. He also had a wRC+ of 166 at Birmingham last year. He's not been great but far too much doom and gloom about him. I think he'll be fine.