2018 NFL Draft

Thinking through this more, the Bills are probably the team we’d want to trade with if that 4th QB is available at #8.

Based on our needs & overall talent, here are the guys that would seem like quality 1st round picks for us:

1. Chubb, EDGE

2. Barkley, RB

3. Nelson, OG

4. Smith, ILb

5. Edmunds, ILB

6. Ward, CB

7. James, S

8. Fitzpatrick, S

9. Davenport, EDGE

Seems there’s a general drop-off after those eight or nine guys depending on how you view Davenport.  But any of those guys make a ton of sense and we would be guaranteed our choice of two of them if we trade with the Bills and get the #12 pick.  Plus the Bills have six picks in the first three rounds and we might be able to snag one of their 2nd rounders if we swap picks.

I still don't understand how potential NFL picks,especially Top 15 prospects, don't delete social media as soon as they start their NFL Draft preparation. I don't think Josh Rosen's tweet will bury him too much but it's still baffling some guys still set themselves up for the backlash.

3 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I still don't understand how potential NFL picks,especially Top 15 prospects, don't delete social media as soon as they start their NFL Draft preparation. I don't think Josh Rosen's tweet will bury him too much but it's still baffling some guys still set themselves up for the backlash.

Allen, not Rosen. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thinking through this more, the Bills are probably the team we’d want to trade with if that 4th QB is available at #8.

Based on our needs & overall talent, here are the guys that would seem like quality 1st round picks for us:

1. Chubb, EDGE

2. Barkley, RB

3. Nelson, OG

4. Smith, ILb

5. Edmunds, ILB

6. Ward, CB

7. James, S

8. Fitzpatrick, S

9. Davenport, EDGE

Seems there’s a general drop-off after those eight or nine guys depending on how you view Davenport.  But any of those guys make a ton of sense and we would be guaranteed our choice of two of them if we trade with the Bills and get the #12 pick.  Plus the Bills have six picks in the first three rounds and we might be able to snag one of their 2nd rounders if we swap picks.

I wouldn't take a RB that high in the draft in today's NFL even with Barkley being a monster talent. I want an absolute defensive stud at #8 if it was up to me.

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Allen, not Rosen. 

Typo sorry,but yea definitely not Tunsil bad but just making more a remark as to these guys not having agents/people around to tell them to clean the slate. One bad tweet/post can lose them millions.

14 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maybe not 10 years but pretty much in 25. If it still exists at that point it will be similar to boxing now. 

Similar to boxing in that it still exists and is a profitable sport?

Interesting. Mayfield #1 to Browns is what people are reporting. Nothing official.  This is going to be an interesting 1st round and the Josh Allen stuff made it even more intriguing.  Really don't know what to expect by the time the Bears are on the clock and I honestly have no idea which route we take.  

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So what are people's  predicts for what the Bears do at #8?

I think we trade down and take Landry. If we stay put, I think we take Davenport / Edmunds / Smith.  The nice thing is I like most all of the options that will be there at 8, so I don't expect to be dissapointed in the pick (doesn't mean said player will actually pan out).  Most drafts there are a couple guys that I really don't want, but I don't have that feel right now with the vareity of LB's that will be considered at 8 and similarly if we went with the DB's, while it isn't high on my list I wouldn't mind.  I suppose the only spot I don't want to go at 8 is wideout (of the possible options).  

42 minutes ago, Brian said:

I'll probably be fine with whomever the Bears take at 8. Lots of options. Can't argue with any.

Lattimore emergence last year in NO makes Ward appealing. 

Yeah, I agree. In years past I always had some guys I didn't want at all. Aside from McGlinchey, I would love a whole bunch of guys (Ward, Smith, James, Fitzpatrick, Chubb, Barkley, Davenport). Edmunds or Nelson would be fine too.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Similar to boxing in that it still exists and is a profitable sport?

Yes, but no longer the massive audience draw that it once was due to the sheer brutality of the sport by its nature. IMO, the thing that will cause the eventual downfall of football isn't the NFL itself, but the idea that youth participation could be cut off or extremely difficult to find. Wait until school districts/major universities start getting sued. It will end right there when property taxes skyrocket to cover the legal fees and punitive damages awarded to people with severe brain injury. People, for the most part, hate having to pay taxes. When they have to choose between significant tax raises or football the choice will be easy for most.  The thing that will end it isn't that people don't want to watch per se, but kids either won't want to or won't be allowed to play, whether by their parents not allowing it or public schools/state legislatures outlawing it. I love watching football, but I feel guilty every time I do so because I now know that these people are giving themselves brain damage for my entertainment. There will be a day where liability waivers will be necessary for youth football participation, if it is allowed at all,  and public schools won't be allowed to offer teams. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes, but no longer the massive audience draw that it once was due to the sheer brutality of the sport by its nature. 

The massive audience has divided its attention with MMA.  People still love violent sports, they always have and they always will 

35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes, but no longer the massive audience draw that it once was due to the sheer brutality of the sport by its nature. IMO, the thing that will cause the eventual downfall of football isn't the NFL itself, but the idea that youth participation could be cut off or extremely difficult to find. Wait until school districts/major universities start getting sued. It will end right there when property taxes skyrocket to cover the legal fees and punitive damages awarded to people with severe brain injury. People, for the most part, hate having to pay taxes. When they have to choose between significant tax raises or football the choice will be easy for most.  The thing that will end it isn't that people don't want to watch per se, but kids either won't want to or won't be allowed to play, whether by their parents not allowing it or public schools/state legislatures outlawing it. I love watching football, but I feel guilty every time I do so because I now know that these people are giving themselves brain damage for my entertainment. There will be a day where liability waivers will be necessary for youth football participation, if it is allowed at all,  and public schools won't be allowed to offer teams. 

Let's be honest.  Boxing didn't fall off because it was brutal.  It fell off because it never came up with a draw after Mike Tyson, and MMA gave people something MORE brutal, not less, and absolutely took away an entire segment of people who would have been the next boxing fans.

6 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

This could shape up to be one of the crazier drafts.   Already has been a ton of trades, could see some more tonight.

I wish that I could watch the first round; unfortunately/fortunately, I'm seeing Avengers tonight.

33 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Let's be honest.  Boxing didn't fall off because it was brutal.  It fell off because it never came up with a draw after Mike Tyson, and MMA gave people something MORE brutal, not less, and absolutely took away an entire segment of people who would have been the next boxing fans.

I think the long illness of Muhammad Ali had a lot to do with it. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think the long illness of Muhammad Ali had a lot to do with it. 

I don't.  I think if someone else with the attention grabbing personality of Ali or Tyson came along people would watch it.  I mean golf became a mainstream thing for like a decade because of Tiger.  Boxing just hasn't had that star power draw for a long time, meanwhile MMA has absolutely cannibalized their audience for people looking for brutality as a sport.

And a main reason they dont have those household names is because theres a very limited talent pool to draw from compared to what it once was. MMA is different is because the youth sport is not barbaric MMA itself. Rather it is a pool of different disciplines that are not overly barbaric when looked at individually. Football has more in common with boxing there.