2018 NFL Draft

I don't think there's any team that would pay the price for that #1 pick. None of the QB needing teams would pay to jump up that high, not when there are 4 reasonably good options + Jackson in the late first all on the board.

18 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Browns should trade out of #1 if they are not taking a QB there. 

56 minutes ago, knightni said:

If Cleveland was smart, they 'd take Barkley #1 and then have their choice of QBs at #4.

I disagree. Take your QB. Do not gamble on your QB. You have the #1 pick, take who you like the most at that position.  Than take best position player at 4 or move down.  

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I disagree. Take your QB. Do not gamble on your QB. You have the #1 pick, take who you like the most at that position.  Than take best position player at 4 or move down.  

The #1 pick salary slot is also an awful lot to pay a running back. The 5 year deal is $32 million. Only 2 RB in the NFL have total contracts more than that (Bell would be the 3rd if ever signed), and none have guaranteed money that high. That's tiny if you get a good QB for that money.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The #1 pick salary slot is also an awful lot to pay a running back. The 5 year deal is $32 million. Only 2 RB in the NFL have total contracts more than that (Bell would be the 3rd if ever signed), and none have guaranteed money that high. That's tiny if you get a good QB for that money.

Is the combination of Barkley + 1 one of the quarterbacks greater than Mayfield and someone else, knowing that with three top QBs on the board you will get ONE of them for sure?

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah - I would not even think about taking Barkley at #1. That is crazy talk. If Browns don't want to take a QB, they should trade down.  

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Is the combination of Barkley + 1 one of the quarterbacks greater than Mayfield and someone else, knowing that with three top QBs on the board you will get ONE of them for sure?

I dunno..."We can't pick between the top 3 quarterbacks so we're going to let the other teams decide for us" definitely does seem like a Cleveland kind of statement, and I don't mean that in a good way.

If your staff can't pick which QB they think is the best then I think there's a bigger problem with your staff.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I dunno..."We can't pick between the top 3 quarterbacks so we're going to let the other teams decide for us" definitely does seem like a Cleveland kind of statement, and I don't mean that in a good way.

If your staff can't pick which QB they think is the best then I think there's a bigger problem with your staff.

If the separation between them isn't that large, and the separation between Barkley and the rest of the Non-QB field is that large, it is a fair question.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I completely agree with you. They essentially took the strategy of let everyone else pick last year, ended up with Kizer (who fell) and they took him. Now they are looking for a QB again.  Just sack up and take the QB that you best believe in.  

While I think Barkley is a great pick...we already have a very good running back so I really have zero desire of Barkley falling to us.  Odd to say and maybe famous last words...I just think we have a lot more areas of need and getting a really really good defensive player would be quite nice (as would getting an all pro type of guard).  

22 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

While I think Barkley is a great pick...we already have a very good running back so I really have zero desire of Barkley falling to us.  Odd to say and maybe famous last words...I just think we have a lot more areas of need and getting a really really good defensive player would be quite nice (as would getting an all pro type of guard).  

If, somehow, Barkley falls to the Bears pick, I'd imagine they have 4 or 5 trade offers that come in pretty quick. I can't believe he'd get past Tampa.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If, somehow, Barkley falls to the Bears pick, I'd imagine they have 4 or 5 trade offers that come in pretty quick. I can't believe he'd get past Tampa.

Oh I agree, I don't see him falling to the Bears. Impossible.  

2 hours ago, knightni said:

If Cleveland was smart, they 'd take Barkley #1 and then have their choice of QBs at #4.

agree.  at worst you're guaranteed one and at this point it's all a crap shoot.  They'd be nuts to pass on Barkley IMO...

1 hour ago, Rabbit said:

I feel like aside from the fact there are so many QBs at the top this is actually a really boring draft. I can't get myself to get excited about the Bears pick unless Chubb or Saquon miraculously fell.

I have a queasy feeling in my gut the Bears end up with Davenport....God I hope not! 

3 minutes ago, Wanne said:

I have a queasy feeling in my gut the Bears end up with Davenport....God I hope not! 

I'm totally okay with Davenport. Nice upside potential. I really think we are going LB of some sort.  With this passing league if you can get an elite pass rusher, you do it.  All depends on how you grade Davenport out.  Seems like of all the guys likely to be there at 8, Davenport is near the top side in terms of ability to become an elite pass rusher, but he comes with a lot more risk given small school, etc.  Pair that with Floyd and you are talking about a pretty dynamic combination.  

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm totally okay with Davenport. Nice upside potential. I really think we are going LB of some sort.  With this passing league if you can get an elite pass rusher, you do it.  All depends on how you grade Davenport out.  Seems like of all the guys likely to be there at 8, Davenport is near the top side in terms of ability to become an elite pass rusher, but he comes with a lot more risk given small school, etc.  Pair that with Floyd and you are talking about a pretty dynamic combination.  

I don't think you take him at 8 tho.  He had a nice combine...sure.  Physical specimen sure.  The small school thing scares me.  Very....John Thierryish (RIP John).

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

On the flip side, if Allen was their guy yesterday, I think they do still like him as a player, offensive tweets or not. I think it's a huge PR nightmare if you intentionally takes him at 1. However, if you know he's slipping out of the top 3, and say you can trade down to 5 and still take him, the PR hit isn't as bad since you're just taking whichever QB that's "left" at that point.

4 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Giants have a 37 year old Eli Manning and took a RB.

If you really don't believe in any of the QBs, its not the wrong pick. I guess I don't know the Giants needs, but it says more about the QBs than anything.