2018 NFL Draft

I can't believe Luke Falk didn't go til middle of 6th round.  IMO...Patriots were idiots for not taking him when they had the chance.  He's the perfect fit for that team/system.  Honestly...my second favorite QB in this class.

57 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you do nothing else today, watch the highlights from the kid from Australia that the Eagles just drafted out of their professional rugby league. He has never played a snap of American football. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000920697/Jordan-Mailata-rugby-highlights

For what position?

On 4/28/2018 at 7:40 AM, soxfan49 said:

To play devils advocate, SEA has the league’s worst OL and lost a ton of weapons. They are just as talented as Green Bay. Detroit is always middle of the pack and the Bears can easily hang with them

On 4/28/2018 at 8:42 AM, SoxAce said:

I was literally going to say I must've missed when Detroit suddenly became this juggernaut team, but you cleaned that up for me. 

https://www.chatsports.com/nfl/a/vegas-releases-new-post-draft-2018-nfl-win-totals-every-team-38431

Vegas has set the Bears over/under win for Bears at 5.5, so if you think im wrong about 6-7 wins for the Bears, feel free to put a huge bet on that number because 5.5 is lower than what I thought. I figured it would be 6.5, so 5.5 should be easy money for you 2...

The Bears are tied for 2nd lowest win total, with Arizona. Cinci/Browns line is 5 wins. So as of today Vegas has the Bears picking between 3-4 in next years draft. 

Anything could happen and the Bears could go 16-0, but if you really believe that I am so far off with 6-7 win prediction, you could make a killing with the 5.5 under/over.

I agree with Soxbadger from a high level but actually like the Miller trade a lot and am kinda surprised how little the Patriots got back.

I think what has always annoyed me, and I've repeated myself on it, but for a guy that says he believes in building through the draft and not free agency he sure sets himself back by trading away a lot of picks.

And this is especially annoying when you think about how little they've tried to go for it the last few years. Prime opportunities to take advantage of others urgency. 

And to me it all goes back to the Kevin White draft. He hadn't set up his team yet. He had a top ten pick. 

I think there were two optimal scenarios there:

- Go big and trade up and get Mariota (was rumored)

- Trade down consistently, and with an eye on collecting future picks

That said, the specific 2nd swap I don't have a problem with because we did acquire a high pick this year with it where we otherwise did not have one. It wasn't a trade up.

Overall, we may see Pace operate differently when this team gets in the mid-teens in drafts instead of top ten. I think he may be pulled with the idea that if they are going to be top ten, get the guy you want and will be impactful. But his actions 2nd round and later have been more in the vein of pick collection. But I want more 1-3 round picks. 4s are nice but 5-7 are crap. Happy to use those to just move around 1-3 and rely on undrafteds after 4.

18 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

https://www.chatsports.com/nfl/a/vegas-releases-new-post-draft-2018-nfl-win-totals-every-team-38431

Vegas has set the Bears over/under win for Bears at 5.5, so if you think im wrong about 6-7 wins for the Bears, feel free to put a huge bet on that number because 5.5 is lower than what I thought. I figured it would be 6.5, so 5.5 should be easy money for you 2...

The Bears are tied for 2nd lowest win total, with Arizona. Cinci/Browns line is 5 wins. So as of today Vegas has the Bears picking between 3-4 in next years draft. 

Anything could happen and the Bears could go 16-0, but if you really believe that I am so far off with 6-7 win prediction, you could make a killing with the 5.5 under/over.

I do think this is the year to hammer the over for the Bears.  They were pretty close to winning a couple of other games last year that maybe a little more depth and talent could have overcome.  This might finally be a .500 team.  If I were going out to Vegas I would definitely hit the over.

So I take it, we were thinking about moving up for Roquan Smith.  In general, I think Pace gets it wrong with his "move up 1 pick" approach, unless you think another team is going to jump you for said player. In the case of the Bucs, you had to know the strongest trade offer would be QB based. I can't imagine with 2 QB's on the board that a team would have made a bigger off to "jump up" for Roquan than one of the QB's.  

19 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Last year their O/U was 4.5. I bet $100 on the over. If I know anyone going to Vegas I’ll definitely do it again. This team is on the rise.

ok....I'm not a gambler per se when it comes to stuff like this.  what's the <-140> mean if you bet $100 on the over?

Edited by Wanne

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

So I take it, we were thinking about moving up for Roquan Smith.  In general, I think Pace gets it wrong with his "move up 1 pick" approach, unless you think another team is going to jump you for said player. In the case of the Bucs, you had to know the strongest trade offer would be QB based. I can't imagine with 2 QB's on the board that a team would have made a bigger off to "jump up" for Roquan than one of the QB's.  

So I was listening to this. It doesn’t sound like it was a trade discussion, more that Licht called him to let him know Bills moved up because they are friendly

1 hour ago, bmags said:

So I was listening to this. It doesn’t sound like it was a trade discussion, more that Licht called him to let him know Bills moved up because they are friendly

Context is always helpful. I stand corrected haha. Thank you!

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I do think this is the year to hammer the over for the Bears.  They were pretty close to winning a couple of other games last year that maybe a little more depth and talent could have overcome.  This might finally be a .500 team.  If I were going out to Vegas I would definitely hit the over.

New coaching schemes, health and Trubisky are major X factors. I also think in general the defense overachieved relative to its talent a year ago. All that said I agree the roster is much improved.