2018 NFL Draft

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

That trade is exactly why moving down in the 1st like TB would have been amazing for the Bears. They keep trading up, they keep losing future picks. Unlike the Pats they dont trade guys on their roster to accumulate more picks, so the Bears (under Pace) are always starting behind in each draft. 

Never seen Miller play so i cant really comment, but eventually trading future picks catches up to you. The only way it really makes sense is if youre a team who somehow due to injury/etc was really bad this year and feel next year youll be a playoff team so that 2nd is really like a 3rd etc. But thats not the Bears, that pick could be a top 5-10 pick in the 2nd round, and there are going to be guys with 1st round grades theyll miss out on because they werent willing to be patient. 

Basically the opposite of what the Bears should be doing. 

If your coach identifies a player that is going to fit his system to a T then you don't wait.Yea it's a steep price on paper but if they get their guy it's definitely worth it.  Who's to say they don't see a guy on their draftboard next year that has the qualities they like in Miller?

11 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

If your coach identifies a player that is going to fit his system to a T then you don't wait.Yea it's a steep price on paper but if they get their guy it's definitely worth it.  Who's to say they don't see a guy on their draftboard next year that has the qualities they like in Miller?

Giving up a pick when they are short on picks though, takes its toll. Hopefully he is a stud. They obviously need receivers. 

9 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

If it was isolated, it may not be a big deal. But the problem stems from last year trading your 3/4 this year to move up 1 spot for a player who was going to be there at your pick anyway. Now because the Bears didnt have those picks, they were forced to trade more picks to try and bandage their move from last year.

Even more frustrating, is that many places rate DJ Clark and James Washington higher. So its not like youre talking about someone who everyone thought was deserving of the pick. Some places even have Deon Cain rated higher, and hes still available.

1 hour ago, dacoachisdrunk said:

I wanted eight Quenton or Roquan #1st pick. Check. I wanted an offensive lineman next if they didn't get Quenton.  Check.  I then wanted another receiver. Check..  However, not sure about this Anthony Miller.  I read that he is very explosive but is fumble prone. Hopefully they can coach him up.  Looks like Trubisky has another deep threat. Or is Miller going to be a slot receiver?

Miller would seem to be a stellar fit for this offense. 

49 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I could see it if a guys slipped, but this is a guy who at best is being drafted in his appropriate spot, and it isn’t like the Bears are Super Bowl bound. 

In the grand scheme of things, it probably isn’t a big deal. But IMO, they are going to wish they had that pick next draft. They need all the players they can get. This is one less.

I don’t disagree but we are basically losing the 4th pick to move up one round (since next yrs 3rd is the equivalent of this years 2nd). 

I presume, given how aggressive they were for wideouts (trying for Ridley) was more about Bears only having a few wideouts they really liked and they decided the grade combined with the needs (and relative drop off in their ways) made it worthwhile.  

Not a fan of how easily Pace trades draft picks, but it seems like every pick he made so far was a winner that makes the team better right away. While they aren't winning the Super Bowl next year, their window is also open sooner than later so I don't see a need to stockpile picks if you can get good players.

Now we just hope the players live up to their draft grades, which never happens,  lol.

11 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If it was isolated, it may not be a big deal. But the problem stems from last year trading your 3/4 this year to move up 1 spot for a player who was going to be there at your pick anyway. Now because the Bears didnt have those picks, they were forced to trade more picks to try and bandage their move from last year.

Even more frustrating, is that many places rate DJ Clark and James Washington higher. So its not like youre talking about someone who everyone thought was deserving of the pick. Some places even have Deon Cain rated higher, and hes still available.

Not trying to nitpick but it’s widely known at this point that Cleveland and KC had big offers for #2 last year and the Bears’ was better, so I doubt Trubisky would have been there

Washington would have been a fine pick as would Chark, but Deon Cain drops tons of passes and doesn’t exactly fit the fast type that Nagy seeks

Edited by soxfan49

They most likely won't pick up option for White after the draft. Their depth for WR right now is basically a guy coming back from ACL injury and a 5'8" guy, then Fowler, Bellamy and Gentry. It wasn't too long ago when people are bashing the GM for not surrounding our QB with weapons. a 4th round pick is a small price to pay in this situation. I don't mind the trade at all.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

That trade is exactly why moving down in the 1st like TB would have been amazing for the Bears. They keep trading up, they keep losing future picks. Unlike the Pats they dont trade guys on their roster to accumulate more picks, so the Bears (under Pace) are always starting behind in each draft. 

Never seen Miller play so i cant really comment, but eventually trading future picks catches up to you. The only way it really makes sense is if youre a team who somehow due to injury/etc was really bad this year and feel next year youll be a playoff team so that 2nd is really like a 3rd etc. But thats not the Bears, that pick could be a top 5-10 pick in the 2nd round, and there are going to be guys with 1st round grades theyll miss out on because they werent willing to be patient. 

Basically the opposite of what the Bears should be doing. 

This is actually the first year where we didn’t accumulate picks. In other years I feel we would trade up early but trade down later and largely stay net neutral in terms of picks.  But yes...you trade down in general a few times...build draft capital and in future years and drafts you are always starting with a head count to be flexible (to move up or down as value emerges).

13 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Not a fan of how easily Pace trades draft picks, but it seems like every pick he made so far was a winner that makes the team better right away. While they aren't winning the Super Bowl next year, their window is also open sooner than later so I don't see a need to stockpile picks if you can get good players.

Now we just hope the players live up to their draft grades, which never happens,  lol.

A trade down next year and they get that pick back

24 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is actually the first year where we didn’t accumulate picks. In other years I feel we would trade up early but trade down later and largely stay net neutral in terms of picks.  But yes...you trade down in general a few times...build draft capital and in future years and drafts you are always starting with a head count to be flexible (to move up or down as value emerges).

Some of the other years the Bears also traded up to lose picks. So basically it was a wash, but it would have been nice to start 1 year with a clean draft slate or maybe even be + some picks.

I just dont see the Bears being that good again this year

25 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Not trying to nitpick but it’s widely known at this point that Cleveland and KC had big offers for #2 last year and the Bears’ was better, so I doubt Trubisky would have been there

Washington would have been a fine pick as would Chark, but Deon Cain drops tons of passes and doesn’t exactly fit the fast type that Nagy seeks

Never heard that any other team were trying to trade for the 49ers pick and the articles from Lynch indicated that the Bears were bidding against themselves. Do you have any source for that?

(edit)

I guess Lynch said "other" teams were trying, but hard to tell what was offered. And from what I can remember, KC really liked Mahomes.

Edited by Soxbadger

27 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

They most likely won't pick up option for White after the draft. Their depth for WR right now is basically a guy coming back from ACL injury and a 5'8" guy, then Fowler, Bellamy and Gentry. It wasn't too long ago when people are bashing the GM for not surrounding our QB with weapons. a 4th round pick is a small price to pay in this situation. I don't mind the trade at all.

It's actually a fantastic trade by all accounts, especially since Bears don't have a 3rd rounder. Gabriel made a good point the only way NE breaks even (or better) is if Bears suck again next season (which Belichick is banking on) and the 2nd is a high pick. 

45 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

It's actually a fantastic trade by all accounts, especially since Bears don't have a 3rd rounder. Gabriel made a good point the only way NE breaks even (or better) is if Bears suck again next season (which Belichick is banking on) and the 2nd is a high pick. 

Belichek's logic is the exact reason I dislike the trade.

Look at next years schedule, with the NFC Central being one of the better divisions, the Bears are looking at approximately 6-7 winnable games. Now anything can happen, but right now the teams that they can possibly beat are AZ, TB, Miami, NYJ, Buffalo, NYG and possibly 49ers.

The teams that they are unlikely to beat are GB, DET, MIN, SEA, LA, NE.

If they beat every bad team, they are 7-9, if they split them they are more like 4-12...

The season after this is where you really could envision the Bears making a big leap, which is why next draft I would not have been opposed to trading future picks. But this year the schedule is not super favorable.

Edited by Soxbadger

30 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I just watched some clips of Miller. I would have never guessed his 40 time after seeing his moves and acceleration / quickness. Wow. He also made a ton of what I would call nfl caliber catches. 

Looking at his tape he's actually pretty similar to Jarvis Landry in a lot of ways with better speed.

2 hours ago, TheTruth05 said:

same with Shaheen last year.  I think we'll see plenty of benefits from that pick after everybody pretty much crapped all over it....

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Still not sure how we plan to address the pass rush.  Happy with our first two picks, but EDGE was realistically our biggest need and it’s going to be nearly impossible to find a decent option by the time we make our next pick.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we trade up to the 2nd or 3rd if there is an interesting EDGE that slips.

there's still some pretty good edge rush talent available.  Can't believe Josh Sweat is still there.  Jalyn Holmes. Dorance Armstrong.  I'm also a HUGE Hercules Mata'afa fan too.  I know they have him listed a DT....but he'll be a situational pass rusher...special teams ace...and the kid can flat out play football.  He was by far my favorite player in the PAC to watch.  Not in the 4th....but a later round pick.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think if Armstrong is there, he will be the pick. 

I'd be fine with that. But honestly I think I want Mata'afa more than Armstrong (and I like Armstrong a lot).  Mata'afa just has that edge to him.  He's such an unknown...but tellin ya...the kid can flat out play. He can shoot gaps that you rarely see in a player.  Incredible first step and a tough kid.  He'll destroy people on STs too.  Check out his tapes...he's fun to watch.  The "tape junkies" claim he sucks...but I've seen this kid play a ton.  He's good.  To be honest...I wouldn't be shocked if he followed the Teddy Bruschi path...small DT that moved to LB.  I'd be really interested to see what he could do with a move to ILB.   Love the kid....

Edited by Wanne

9 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Belichek's logic is the exact reason I dislike the trade.

Look at next years schedule, with the NFC Central being one of the better divisions, the Bears are looking at approximately 6-7 winnable games. Now anything can happen, but right now the teams that they can possibly beat are AZ, TB, Miami, NYJ, Buffalo, NYG and possibly 49ers.

The teams that they are unlikely to beat are GB, DET, MIN, SEA, LA, NE.

If they beat every bad team, they are 7-9, if they split them they are more like 4-12...

The season after this is where you really could envision the Bears making a big leap, which is why next draft I would not have been opposed to trading future picks. But this year the schedule is not super favorable.

To play devils advocate, SEA has the league’s worst OL and lost a ton of weapons. They are just as talented as Green Bay. Detroit is always middle of the pack and the Bears can easily hang with them

59 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

To play devils advocate, SEA has the league’s worst OL and lost a ton of weapons. They are just as talented as Green Bay. Detroit is always middle of the pack and the Bears can easily hang with them

I was literally going to say I must've missed when Detroit suddenly became this juggernaut team, but you cleaned that up for me. 

4th round underway. 2 picks till the Bears are up!

EDIT: Lions just jumped the Bears for the 114th pick by trading with NE... they just selected Da'Shawn Hand (DE). Wow, wonder if that's who the Bears wanted. 

Edited by SoxAce