2018 NFL Draft

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hard to keep up. Missed the draft and will miss tonight’s and tomorrow’s, terrible timing for a friends wedding :)

the tampa trade illustrates why I was upset a few weeks back on how bears always seem one pick back of the “fulcrum” pick. The bills clearly were going to move up but 8 was likely too late. They miss on getting to 5, Indy decides to stay, then Tampa got the spoils.

but the az trade was less enticing. Likely not available to bears as the price should have been steeper and AZ may not have paid. A 3rd and 5th for 7 spots and likely a much lesser talent not worth it.

i love getting Roquan Smith. He was amazing every game I saw him, then I bought into the “shed blocks” thing, the. I realized that was all about 1/2 of a game, then bought in again.

i also said bears may go Landry, so I know nothing. His medical may be way worse than fans knew.

Love what’s on board in 2nd, if we get Hernandez or Iowa C I’m happy, but feel weak can recoup some 4ths and still get a target.

I will be fair and transparent. The Arizona trade would not have been enough for me to move down. I would have needed more and I don't think the Raiders got enough. I think the Raiders did it because the guy they had atop their board wasn't necessarily slotted overall where they wanted and thus they could take a "reduced" value in their own eyes because they were still going to get the guy they wanted.  

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I will be fair and transparent. The Arizona trade would not have been enough for me to move down. I would have needed more and I don't think the Raiders got enough. I think the Raiders did it because the guy they had atop their board wasn't necessarily slotted overall where they wanted and thus they could take a "reduced" value in their own eyes because they were still going to get the guy they wanted.  

I’d want more like a 2nd and future 3rd. Knowing they want a qb, even two thirds isn’t enough (for me). I like Roquan a lot, but yeah getting 2 3s and James could have been nice. Still think Smith is going to be a monster. Safeties have been so hit or miss recently.

49 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Do people think Landry's ankle injury was permanent? Or is there something else?  

couple of things that were floating out there were back and knee...effected his performance last year.  Gabriel even tossed knee out there with his ankle.  Trying to find the source of that back info....

23 minutes ago, Wanne said:

couple of things that were floating out there were back and knee...effected his performance last year.  Gabriel even tossed knee out there with his ankle.  Trying to find the source of that back info....

The reason I think he might be a great buy low candidate is he was both slowed down by an ankle injury (yet played through it) and got more attention than any other dlinemen in college. Both because of his ability but also because he was by far the best player on a lousy defense. When you put those together, you could see a guy who could be due for a major breakout because from a pass-rushing perspective he supposedly has tremendous bend and a really good first step. Not a great run defender, but the guy can get to the QB.  Now if you don't think the double-teams / ankles are the reason his production was down and it is a more permanent issue, than that is another story.  

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The reason I think he might be a great buy low candidate is he was both slowed down by an ankle injury (yet played through it) and got more attention than any other dlinemen in college. Both because of his ability but also because he was by far the best player on a lousy defense. When you put those together, you could see a guy who could be due for a major breakout because from a pass-rushing perspective he supposedly has tremendous bend and a really good first step. Not a great run defender, but the guy can get to the QB.  Now if you don't think the double-teams / ankles are the reason his production was down and it is a more permanent issue, than that is another story.  

same could be said for Dorance Armstrong as well (best player on a lousy team).   I'm just not sold on Landry as an every down player...and I don't want to use our 2nd on a situational pass rusher which I'm afraid he is.  What do i know tho...

13 minutes ago, Wanne said:

same could be said for Dorance Armstrong as well (best player on a lousy team).   I'm just not sold on Landry as an every down player...and I don't want to use our 2nd on a situational pass rusher which I'm afraid he is.  What do i know tho...

Yes - Armstrong was on a bad team, but he put up 15.5 sacks in 3 seasons at Kansas. Landry did that and than some in 1 season at boston college.  That said, just 5 last year which is concerning.  That said, those 5 sacks happened in his first 6 games of last season (prior to him injuring his ankle).  Basically he started to suck after his so called ankle injury.  

Still not sure how we plan to address the pass rush.  Happy with our first two picks, but EDGE was realistically our biggest need and it’s going to be nearly impossible to find a decent option by the time we make our next pick.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we trade up to the 2nd or 3rd if there is an interesting EDGE that slips.

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Packers just picked Josh Jackson. 

Trubisky is gonna have to deal with him (and Alexander) for a long time. 

We said the same when they drafted Randall and Rollins. They took King last year, and now they’ve taken Alexander & Jackson. I get having good corners, but if you’re pass rush is average, it doesn’t help much.