Worst Series loss in the 117 year history of the White Sox

Buehrle>Wood

1 hour ago, Tony said:

So...what do you suggest? What point are you trying to make here?

Not suggesting anything other than the assumption that the 2020s will be a decade of dominance couldn't be more far fetched.  The casual Chicago fan has probably been lost forever and even if the White Sox rebuild is a success it will be the Chicago Bulls or Indiana Pacers to the Yankees LeBron James teams.  Decent teams that just won't have what it takes to compete with the big boys, unfortunately.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Juschill said:

Not suggesting anything other than the assumption that the 2020s will be a decade of dominance couldn't be more far fetched.  The casual Chicago fan has probably been lost forever and even if the White Sox rebuild is a success it will be the Chicago Bulls or Indiana Pacers to the Yankees LeBron James teams.  Decent teams that just won't have what it takes to compete with the big boys, unfortunately.

You probably said the same when the Astros started their rebuild. “They’ll never compete with Boston and New York anyway!”

41 minutes ago, Juschill said:

It's funny, cause here's how the rebuild has been presented to me and I now am assuming it's true. In 2020 (God bless good health and fortune for us all that we're still loving life in 2020) we are going to win 90 to 110 games and win the division and reach the WS. We may or may not win the WS but we will be there. In 2021 we will win the Central and reach the WS and this time win it in six or seven. In 2022 we will win the Central and reach the WS and win it in 4 or 5. Then who knows after 2022, but we'll have had 3 WS appearances and two crowns to our credit. I'm assuming it's a given. No ifs ands or buts.

45 minutes ago, Juschill said:

The casual Chicago fan has probably been lost forever.

This used to be the fear when the Sox talked about rebuilding completely, that the casual fan would be gone. Somewhere in the last 5-10 years however came the TV argument. Attendance doesn't matter at all and all that matters is the guaranteed TV money. Nobody in the front office cares about the Chicago fan. They care about TV dollars and as a result record value for the franchise no matter the attendance.

11 hours ago, Juschill said:

Take a step away from the ledge man.

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

This used to be the fear when the Sox talked about rebuilding completely, that the casual fan would be gone. Somewhere in the last 5-10 years however came the TV argument. Attendance doesn't matter at all and all that matters is the guaranteed TV money. Nobody in the front office cares about the Chicago fan. They care about TV dollars and as a result record value for the franchise no matter the attendance.

I am not convinced attendance does not matter. If so, why would teams still build new stadiums?  Tampa Bay doesn't draw now and they want a new stadium.  Why spend the money ( the team will have some price to pay) if attendance  doesn't matter.  I can see if a stadium has safety/security issues but otherwise wouldn't ownership be better off milking an old stadium if attendance didn't matter? Why did the new Red Sox management invest millions in Fenway to expand seating if attendance didn't matter?   

43 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I am not convinced attendance does not matter. If so, why would teams still build new stadiums?  Tampa Bay doesn't draw now and they want a new stadium.  Why spend the money ( the team will have some price to pay) if attendance  doesn't matter.  I can see if a stadium has safety/security issues but otherwise wouldn't ownership be better off milking an old stadium if attendance didn't matter? Why did the new Red Sox management invest millions in Fenway to expand seating if attendance didn't matter?   

Tampa Bay wants a new stadium because their current stadium is the worst in professional sports

2 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Attendance is a small piece of the pie and the reality is attendance in every market except two is directly correlated to winning.  If the team isn't winning, attendance drops in almost every market.  Attendance just isn't that important when the team is bad.  If the Sox are good and attendance is still bad, that's a different discussion.

Big picture, attendance matters more for the game as a whole but individual team attendance is far less important than viewership numbers.

6 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Tampa Bay wants a new stadium because their current stadium is the worst in professional sports

How do you define worst stadium in professional sports? Have you ever been there?  I have been 10-12 times and have been to about 6 other active MLB  parks and like most it has pros and cons.  It has good sight lines, easy access from interstates, plenty of parking and you normally can sit behind home plate for $20. Food is average.   The cheap playing surface and overhead obstructions make it a lousy place to play. Cowbells are annoying to me and I am sure many players.   

Atlanta moved in 2017 from Turner Field built in 1997 to Sun Trust.  They averaged 24,000 in 2016 and 30,000 in 2017.  Why build a new stadium if attendance doesn't matter?

23 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

How do you define worst stadium in professional sports? Have you ever been there?  I have been 10-12 times and have been to about 6 other active MLB  parks and like most it has pros and cons.  It has good sight lines, easy access from interstates, plenty of parking and you normally can sit behind home plate for $20. Food is average.   The cheap playing surface and overhead obstructions make it a lousy place to play. Cowbells are annoying to me and I am sure many players.   

Atlanta moved in 2017 from Turner Field built in 1997 to Sun Trust.  They averaged 24,000 in 2016 and 30,000 in 2017.  Why build a new stadium if attendance doesn't matter?

My mom lives about 25 minutes from the stadium. Carpet sucks, obstructions suck, cowbells suck, roof isn't up to modern day technology, and for gods sake the building is f***ing tilted.

Maybe they assume it will bring more attendance? They'll be wrong I'll bet, as pro sports typically don't matter much in Florida.

Regardless, we'll agree to disagree on the stadium. The only baseball park worse might be the one in Oakland. I'd venture to guess that if you googled ballpark rankings, the Trop will be bottom 2.

6 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

My mom lives about 25 minutes from the stadium. Carpet sucks, obstructions suck, cowbells suck, roof isn't up to modern day technology, and for gods sake the building is f***ing tilted.

Maybe they assume it will bring more attendance? They'll be wrong I'll bet, as pro sports typically don't matter much in Florida.

Regardless, we'll agree to disagree on the stadium. The only baseball park worse might be the one in Oakland. I'd venture to guess that if you googled ballpark rankings, the Trop will be bottom 2.

I actually saw a listing recently and Oakland was last, then the Trop and then the Cell.