Earth Day!

Reddy

In honor of the day, and the White Sox announcing that they're no longer going to use plastic straws (which is flippin' awesome), what do y'all do to lessen your impact on the environment and the world?

Side note: (Let's not argue about climate change itself. This isn't meant to be a 'buster thread. If you don't buy into it, feel free to ignore)

• Decided to go vegan 12 years ago (Huge environmental impact going down this path)
  • Bike/walk whenever possible
  • Fortunately, have an awesome composting and recycle program out here so 90% of our waste is recycled or composted
  • Use my own cloth grocery bags
Edited by BigSqwert

19 hours ago, Reddy said:

In honor of the day, and the White Sox announcing that they're no longer going to use plastic straws (which is flippin' awesome), what do y'all do to lessen your impact on the environment and the world?

Side note: (Let's not argue about climate change itself. This isn't meant to be a 'buster thread. If you don't buy into it, feel free to ignore)

I read that weren't using straws but did see not empty straw dispensers at the concession stands.

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I read that weren't using straws but did see not empty straw dispensers at the concession stands.

They would still be using straws, just these non-plastic paper based versions that are better for the environment. I presume they would use the rest of their existing straws and than go to the lower footprint ones. 

Sqwert that's awesome man. Wish I had a yard to landscape...

Personally:

- I've cut back drastically on my red meat purchasing. Like, maybe once every few months if I'm at a place that just so happens to have the "greatest burger ever", but 95% of the time it's no beef for me. The cattle industry produces more greenhouse gasses than all transportation combined. Just unreal.
- Try not to use plastic straws whenever possible, minimize my plastic use in general (paper/canvas bags)
- Recycle as much as possible
- Support organizations like 4Ocean that pull plastic out of the ocean and recycle it (they've done over 530,000 pounds so far)
- Vote (y'all know what I'm getting at, but keeping it SLAM worthy)

OK EXCEPT here I am writing this and I just realized I'm drinking my starbucks out of a damn straw. Can you get starbucks to like... fill your own container orrrr lol. #workinprogress

I usually use the same cup 2-3 times before I get a new one. I just rinse it out with water after each use.

I also use the same towel after a shower 5 or so times before getting a new one. I'm wiping CLEAN WATER off of my CLEAN BODY after a shower. Why would I need a new towel?

I've found that I wash the dishes much less and do laundry much less.

I know these are small, but I try to do my part.