Reynaldo Lopez

Chicago White Sox

The kid has looked fantastic so far this year IMO.  Has been a real bright spot for us.  I know the command hasn’t been perfect, but there’s no doubting the stuff or his ability to battle.

So what do people think we have in this kid?  Is pretty much everyone now convinced he can make it as a starter?  If so, what is his ceiling?  To me, if he can continue to improve the slider & curveball he has a chance at being a legit #2 starter.

Also, I haven’t seen it mentioned here anywhere, but apparently Lopez was battling a stomach bug today and it was it was affecting him a bit.  Got to give the kid props for five gutsy innings against a stacked lineup while under the weather.

6 hours ago, frogsplash31 said:

Still think ends up in the pen or back end starter. Still walking too many and has got real lucky this year stranding runners. I fear that once the regression fairies get done with Avi, they will visit Lopez. Hope I'm wrong though.

He also hasn’t had the best pitching conditions.  His second start was really cold, his third start was on seven days rest, and yesterday he was battling a stomach bug.  His first start which was in a dome he only gave up two walks in six innings.  These may be excuses to some extent, but the reality is those factors could have had some impact on his command.  He’s also a young pitcher who should hopefully improve over time.  And despite averaging 5.63 BB/9 his FIP is only  4.20, which demonstrates how teams haven’t been able to square up against his stuff and just how good he could be with even moderate improvement in command.  There’s still development to be had here, but I fully expect the command issues to improve as the weather gets warm and as he gets on a normal pitching routine.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He also hasn’t had the best pitching conditions.  His second start was really cold, his third start was on seven days rest, and yesterday he was battling a stomach bug.  His first start which was in a dome he only gave up two walks in six innings.  These may be excuses to some extent, but the reality is those factors could have had some impact on his command.  He’s also a young pitcher who should hopefully improve over time.  And despite averaging 5.63 BB/9 his FIP is only  4.20, which demonstrates how teams haven’t been able to square up against his stuff and just how good he could be with even moderate improvement in command.  There’s still development to be had here, but I fully expect the command issues to improve as the weather gets warm and as he gets on a normal pitching routine.

I get it and conditions could be a very legitimate excuse, as the entire Sox staff appears to be walk happy. I just wonder why White Sox opponents aren't having the same issue.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I get it and conditions could be a very legitimate excuse, as the entire Sox staff appears to be walk happy. I just wonder why White Sox opponents aren't having the same issue.

I can’t comment on the cold, but we’ve played less games than pretty much every team in baseball.  Having those three games cancelled in Minnesota reallly screwed us.  I fully expected our guys to be rusty pitching on so much rest.  As for yesterday, I’m obviously just speculating that the stomach bug could have impacted his command, but Lopez did specifically say it hurt his stuff a bit.  Look, I don’t think he’s suddenly going to have perfect command because he won’t, but I think there is reason to be optimistic with him.  As for the rest of the staff, I don’t know what’s going on there, but it’s obviously a huge problem and needs to be addressed ASAP or this will be a historical season for the wrong reasons.

That spellunk is unacceptable. 

Anywho, the White Sox have a poor walk rate from their starting pitchers because 3 of them are extremely young. Saturday's opponent, Dallas Keuchel, remains a good example. When he came up at age 24, he averaged 4 BB/9. 3 years later when he won the Cy Young, his walk rate was 2BB/9. People learn stuff sometimes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That spellunk is unacceptable. 

Anywho, the White Sox have a poor walk rate from their starting pitchers because 3 of them are extremely young. Saturday's opponent, Dallas Keuchel, remains a good example. When he came up at age 24, he averaged 4 BB/9. 3 years later when he won the Cy Young, his walk rate was 2BB/9. People learn stuff sometimes.

I will either come with repetition or the next guy up will replace them.  Unless you are Randy Johnson, that kind of walk rate isn't sustainable.

I'm not concerned; He's the one guy on our staff that I'm not worried about. I think Gio will turn it around as well. The real question will be what is there upside.  In the case of Rey Lo, we are talking about a guy who has thrown just over 90 innings professionally at the big league level.  I'm excited that he seems to be getting guys out and his stuff clearly plays.  Pitchability and going deeper into games will come with experience.  It isn't like his stuff deteriorates around the 80 pitch mark or something...this is more about him just learning to pitch more efficiently.  

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

So. How worried are we about ReyLo at this point? He seems to have regressed to 2016 Nationals Lopez. I mentioned it in the game thread, but his stats this season:

vs Bottom 5 offenses (5 games, DETx2, CLEx2, TOR): 31.2 IP, 7 ER (2.02 ERA), 2 HR, 8 BB, 31 K, 24 H

vs Everyone else (6 games, KCx2, SEA, TB, BOS, MIN): 28 IP, 33 ER (10.61 ERA), 12 HR, 19 BB, 26 K, 37 H

It isn't like he faced MIN 6 times either. Gio's resurgence this year makes it easier to be patient with Lopez, but it is frustrating to see him taking a major step backwards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Real said:

he needs to make some sort of adjustment, but that's what the coaching staff is for

whatever he's been doing lately, it isn't working

his command is awful, he's all over the place

But this is exactly why we only gave up Eaton to get these guys. Lopez and Gio have a lot of promise but they couldn't be relied on for a team in win-now mode like the Nats.

I think Lopez would be an awful closer.

The Sox need a pitching coach these young guys can relate to. Time for Cooper and RR for that matter to move on.

Edited by GradMc

He’s been frustrating but you just keep running him out there. The talent is there. I think he’ll have an era in the mid to low 4s before it’s all said and done. 

I too would let him have a turn with McCann. Can’t hurt. 

I just don’t know if I would completely change my opinion on López based on his inability to get shut down two of the AL’s best teams / offenses. He has otherwise looked really good - Boston and Minnesota. Minnesota is a buzzsaw right now. Outside of those two starts he has been very good 

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I just don’t know if I would completely change my opinion on López based on his inability to get shut down two of the AL’s best teams / offenses. He has otherwise looked really good - Boston and Minnesota. Minnesota is a buzzsaw right now. Outside of those two starts he has been very good 

You didn't watch his first 3 starts against KC, Seattle and Cleveland then did you? He got rocked in all 3, and that was before Lindor was healthy for the Indians.