Reynaldo Lopez

Chicago White Sox

6 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Might not be a bad idea.  Give Lopez the rest of this year as a starter and if he can't hack it try him at closer.   His fastball as a closer would certainly play but I'd still have concerns about finding a secondary pitch.  

Can't be walking guys and be an effective closer.

• Like 2

Just from watching him tonight one thing he can work on is keeping his delivery consistent. He tends to speed it up and slow it down quite a bit throughout the ball game. He actually threw some nice change up in there tonight but he seems to have no ability to control pitches. Cooper needs to make his money on him. 

I wonder why they went away from his 12-6 curveball. I thought it was his best pitch coming from the Nationals. 

32 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

If Gio is for real, all we need from Lopez is to be a #5. Thats all. Its hard to understand how he could have regressed this much since he looked like #5 was his absolute floor in 2017. 

Way too soon to give up on Lopez. Just look at how far Giolito has come from last year to now. 

18 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm starting to think giving him a few weeks in Charlotte when Cease comes up might be in the cards

I would be shocked if this happened.  They keep running Banuelos out there instead of Lopez?  Lol, not going to happen.  

17 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm starting to think giving him a few weeks in Charlotte when Cease comes up might be in the cards

I would like to see it.  Sometimes a different voice can say the same things and they get through.  Got to try something...he's getting progressively worse.  He a valuable asset that does fit the window.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would be shocked if this happened.  They keep running Banuelos out there instead of Lopez?  Lol, not going to happen.  

I would be surprised too. But running him out there to get blown up every 5 days isn't good for anyone. Banuelos getting blown up is a non-issue

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just keep running him out there every 5th day and hope it clicks. We have no better options right now, and obviously things work much better if Reylo can be a decent mid rotation guy as your 5 starter.  

100% agree.  Lopez was pretty decent last year and right now, he's like Giolito of last year with the lack of command and not finishing hitters with two strikes.  

You keep running him out every 5th day and hope he can make these adjustments.  

On 5/31/2019 at 7:07 AM, poppysox said:

And what was Cooper and the bench coach doing while this was going on?  The whole coaching staff is somewhat suspect.

Tank manager has a tank coaching staff.

That's why no elite manager would ever sign on here. He would have zero control over his staff - to say nothing of the fact Reinsdorf  doesn't hire outsiders or would pay them anyway.

You almost have to wonder if these owners like Reinsdorf actually look for this type of manager. Renteria's decision-making is mind-blogging when in fact it may be a desired skillset.  

Think of some of the clowns we've had in the manager's office during this regime...laughable.

Organizations win championships ?

Ya don't say ?

Edited by GradMc

4 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Tank manager has a tank coaching staff.

That's why no elite manager would ever sign on here. He would have zero control over his staff - to say nothing of the fact Reinsdorf  doesn't hire outsiders or would pay them anyway.

Jerry let Hawk fire Tony Larussa even though Jerry was very close to Tony and still is.  I believe JR will listen to what KW & RH advise.  I think it might be KW who actually likes yes men.

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

Jerry let Hawk fire Tony Larussa even though Jerry was very close to Tony and still is.  I believe JR will listen to what KW & RH advise.  I think it might be KW who actually likes yes men.

And JR has admitted publicly that agreeing to fire LaRussa was the single worst decision he has ever made as owner. He's also said letting Hawk become the G.M. was a poorly thought out move:

"Eddie and I would talk to Hawk and (Don) Drysdale at length, and Hawk more so, to identify problems in the organization, we were still neophytes in this business and we were impressed with the way Hawk pointed out our problems. [GM] wasn't something he really wanted him to do, but we urged him to help us out. The mistake was that when you go to a doctor who diagnoses open-heart surgery, you don't have him do the surgery because he diagnosed the problem, you get a heart surgeon. Just because Hawk was able to diagnose our problems did not mean he could solve them. It was a terrible position to put him in, and a year later, he said he wanted out." – Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Tribune’s Melissa Issacson. May 28, 2004.

“I never should have allowed Tony to be fired. I’ve often said that was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made. I knew it was wrong. I knew it was a mistake. And I let it happen anyway.” Jerry Reinsdorf to Rob Rains in his book, "Tony LaRussa: Man on a Mission."

On 6/5/2019 at 11:26 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

And JR has admitted publicly that agreeing to fire LaRussa was the single worst decision he has ever made as owner. He's also said letting Hawk become the G.M. was a poorly thought out move:

"Eddie and I would talk to Hawk and (Don) Drysdale at length, and Hawk more so, to identify problems in the organization, we were still neophytes in this business and we were impressed with the way Hawk pointed out our problems. [GM] wasn't something he really wanted him to do, but we urged him to help us out. The mistake was that when you go to a doctor who diagnoses open-heart surgery, you don't have him do the surgery because he diagnosed the problem, you get a heart surgeon. Just because Hawk was able to diagnose our problems did not mean he could solve them. It was a terrible position to put him in, and a year later, he said he wanted out." – Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Tribune’s Melissa Issacson. May 28, 2004.

“I never should have allowed Tony to be fired. I’ve often said that was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made. I knew it was wrong. I knew it was a mistake. And I let it happen anyway.” Jerry Reinsdorf to Rob Rains in his book, "Tony LaRussa: Man on a Mission."

I know that whole story.  The point is Jerry does listen to advisors as he did in the LaRussa case.  The story you are addressing doesn't say Jerry now goes it alone.

Lopez - bad now, but hopefully he can be turned around. My concern is the lack of an out pitch. He uses so many pitches that he screams reliever but this year is the perfect time to wait and see (since, really, what else are we going to do. any replacement starter would replace banuelos anyway)