Lopez one of the best starters in baseball so far

southsider2k5

24 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

He has been solid, but it is a stretch to say he has been "one of the better starters in baseball so far." His ERA is sparkling but based on unsustainable peripherals. 

You're both right.  he has been one of the better starters in baseball but his unsustainable peripherals hurt his odds of staying there.

his strand rate will normalize (and balloon his ERA) but from the eye test he buckles down with runners on and isn't afraid to challenge hitters with any pitch in any count.

I think he'll always be a guy that is at his best when he's "effectively wild", sorta like Contreras that way, but when he's got his good stuff (which is most nights) he's going to get a lot of swing and misses and that will help mitigate the damage from the walks.

that said, he's gotta cut his walk rate in about half to be a TOR starter.  if he never does he's still a really good 4 IMO.  he's got three pitches in his mix now and any talk of "future closer" should be mostly put to bed.  at worst he's a decent back end starter.  at best he's a guy you pair with kopech for one of the best one two punches in the league.

1 hour ago, JoeCoolMan24 said:

More like one of the luckiest pitchers in baseball this year.

Might be lucky but I don’t see it as a Latos situation. He has good stuff. I thought his issue last year was that he’d fall apart after the 4th inning. Don’t remember.

Edited by soxforlife05

His FIP is 4.20 despite the absurd BB rate.  That puts him right around 60th overall for starters.  So while he’s been lucky, he’s also been fairy good and has flashed legit TOR stuff.  I fully expect Lopez to improve his command over the coming months and that should help mitigate some of the ERA regression that is likely coming.

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His FIP is 4.20 despite the absurd BB rate.  That puts him right around 60th overall for starters.  So while he’s been lucky, he’s also been fairy good and has flashed legit TOR stuff.  I fully expect Lopez to improve his command over the coming months and that should help mitigate some of the ERA regression that is likely coming.

I didn't see this before I posted, sorry