Rodon threw 3 IP today

southsider2k5

I consider everything "ifs" until they happen, but I see many scenarios where a few months from now we are getting much better quality starts (or are at least seeing upside out of our starters). Right now we are going to be as bad as it gets (i.e., Miguel (now his replacement) / Fulmer / Shields). Replace 2 of those guys with Rodon and Kopech and things are much more interesting, especially if Lopez keeps limiting guys while making strides with his command and of course Gio getting things back together and taking steps forward.  Now all of a sudden you have 4 guys who long-term you believe in (still need to figure out if any can emerge as aces) but that is a huge difference from the current rotation.

Of course it could always just completely blow up, Rodon could reinjure himself, Gio could continue sucking, Lopez gets hurt and Kopech gets hurt. The nice thing is when it comes to Kopech / Rodon, I see no scenario (where they are healthy) where they aren't at least good major league pitchers. Both of them have way too good of stuff. Injuries are the only thing that train-wreck their careers, imo.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I consider everything "ifs" until they happen, but I see many scenarios where a few months from now we are getting much better quality starts (or are at least seeing upside out of our starters). Right now we are going to be as bad as it gets (i.e., Miguel (now his replacement) / Fulmer / Shields). Replace 2 of those guys with Rodon and Kopech and things are much more interesting, especially if Lopez keeps limiting guys while making strides with his command and of course Gio getting things back together and taking steps forward.  Now all of a sudden you have 4 guys who long-term you believe in (still need to figure out if any can emerge as aces) but that is a huge difference from the current rotation.

Of course it could always just completely blow up, Rodon could reinjure himself, Gio could continue sucking, Lopez gets hurt and Kopech gets hurt. The nice thing is when it comes to Kopech / Rodon, I see no scenario (where they are healthy) where they aren't at least good major league pitchers. Both of them have way too good of stuff. Injuries are the only thing that train-wreck their careers, imo.  

hell...Dunning may step up and be better than any of them.  Really excited to watch his continued development.  Hansen too.  I'm not concerned at this point what Rodon does.  Would it be nice to have him back healthy...absolutely.  Is it the end of the world if he doesn't come back to form?...no.

Well, it is the end in the sense that Rodon has just as much, if not more, importance than Giolito.

He's either the anchor of the rotation through 2021 or he can be traded for useful rebuilding pieces.  If we get neither out of him, that's another $15 million per season we'll have to pay in free agency unless Kopech, Hansen and Cease can all make it as quality starters.  We know the historical odds of that happening with pitching prospects is approximately ZERO...obviously, we also have Lopez/Dunning and 2018/19 collegiate draft picks to throw into the mix as well as FA's.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I've always sorta viewed Rodon as the final trade piece of the rebuild. If he can come back and stay healthy, he could net a really nice return to refill the minors right around the time that Dunning/Hansen/Cease are ready to head to Chicago.

Don't get me wrong, I think he absolutely factors into the plans for 2019 and 2020 but maybe not beyond that. Two years of Rodon could bring back something along the line of what the Pirates got for Gerrit Cole and with Hahn at the helm it could end up being even more. 

The Calvary is coming. I saw this early on...this team would be brutal the first half, mainly because of reliance on junk starters, but...by the middle things would take shape...

-Gio and ReyRey more innings under their belt

-Fulmer finally decides he's a starter or not

-Kopech arrives

-Rodon gets healthy

-Miguel is jettisoned

-Shields is traded for a low prospect

-I also think another player will make the a spot start in the show. I predict the sleeper is Ian Clarkin. Not spectacular, but I have a feeling with his command he could get a look at some point. 

-And for god's sakes get Alex Hansen out of high-A....if there is no spot for him in AA, put him in AAA....Hansen is a future LEGIT middle to top of the rotation starter.

2 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

The Calvary is coming. I saw this early on...this team would be brutal the first half, mainly because of reliance on junk starters, but...by the middle things would take shape...

-Kopech arrives

-Rodon gets healthy

-Miguel is jettisoned

-I also think another player will make the a spot start in the show. I predict the sleeper is Ian Clarkin. Not spectacular, but I have a feeling with his command he could get a look at some point. 

-And for god's sakes get Alex Hansen out of high-A....if there is no spot for him in AA, put him in AAA....Hansen is a future LEGIT middle to top of the rotation starter.

Hansen is on the AA roster, he's just injured. 

I'm guessing you meant Dunning

Just now, joejoedairy said:

Hansen is on the AA roster, he's just injured. 

I'm guessing you meant Dunning

Doh! Yea. I guess Dunning and his 10+ K/s per 9 and one walk every 2 games is just a victim of numbers. 

Edited by kwolf68

29 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

-Kopech arrives

-Rodon gets healthy

-Miguel is jettisoned

I

I like this post in general but a couple of things here.  No one is trading ANYTHING for James Shields, except maybe another horrible contract.  When Shields time is up with the Sox, he is hitting the unemployment line.

Alec Hansen is still on the DL and has not pitched this year, there is no timetable for when he is expected back that has been publicly announced.

41 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I like this post in general but a couple of things here.  No one is trading ANYTHING for James Shields, except maybe another horrible contract.  When Shields time is up with the Sox, he is hitting the unemployment line.

Alec Hansen is still on the DL and has not pitched this year, there is no timetable for when he is expected back that has been publicly announced.

Yea I mistyped Hansen for Dunning. 

As far as Shields, yea you're probably right. 

• Like 1