Brit newbie

Bazox

Hi from the UK.

I've been a quite few years on this earth and a month ago I couldn't have told you a single rule about baseball, I'm a footie fan (soccer) , hate cricket and rugby . My new TV contract gives me access to a MLB game most nights and through a friend who is a Yankee's fan I decided to have a go at watching these ball games , the bug bit almost straight away , I love it , I've watched every night even got a phone app for latest scores.

I'm a White Sox fan , why :

In the 80's Channel 4 over here ran NFL games which I watched and supported the Bears , Chicago has always signified USA for me , I looked at the baseball  teams and it had to be the  Sox although I've been unable to follow them over the years.

So here I am learning the game everyday and so are the team by the looks of their start to the season 😀 .

It can only get better

Baz

• Like 5

Where from in the UK. I know a few people from Kent and Essex.

But welcome to the club, it's going to be a bumpy ride for the next year or two but the team is amassing quite a haul of young talent. You're getting in at the ground level of something that could be great for a long time. Welcome

• Thanks 1

Welcome aboard. If you have any questions about the game we will all be happy to help.

I promise you you chose the right team and it will pay off eventually. Right now were a little more focused on our minor league teams. Thank the lord you did not choose the Cubs. They are the most bandwagon team out there these days, like an American rooting for Manchester United.

• Thanks 1

Welcome aboard; Great to have a fellow Sox fan on board. My one word of advice is be patient...you've jumped onto the Sox at a difficult time, yet exciting time. Difficult because the team is not very good at the moment, but exciting because we are in the 2nd year of a massive rebuild and our young players and minor league system are extremely strong and offer us fantastic hope at being a strong team in the near future (2020ish).  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Where from in the UK. I know a few people from Kent and Essex.

10 mile from Liverpool (John Henry owns the football club ) , I support Everton (the blues) who have lived in their shadow for too long .

Welcome!! I warn you to not go on the game threads for at least 2 years haha. JK, it is in those threads you will see how passionate we are as fans. We live with the team, and, sadly, die with the team (seems to be more often than not these days)...but with the rebuild fully underway, only a matter of time before we conquer the league (or, at least the division) for years!!

• Like 1

Welcome!!! Like others have said, if you have any questions feel free to ask them and we'll try to be helpful. I don't know how much you understand MLB's system for minor leagues, but right now our big league club is not the best (actually pretty close to being the worst), but we have a lot of young talent that will be coming up over the next few years and should make us good and fun to watch again. If you want a preview of that, and to get more positivity about the future, head over to the FutureSox Board section of the site. Even if our team is losing, we can dream on the future over there.

Just don't ask what a balk is and how to spot it . I've followed baseball for many many years and still can't recognize a balk when I see one , well only the obvious ones . I'd suggest using a search tool to answer most questions about baseball  and then you can also use the messaging feature on here to ask anything . I will volunteer to answer any questions you may have,

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just don't ask what a balk is and how to spot it . I've followed baseball for many many years and still can't recognize a balk when I see one , well only the obvious ones . I'd suggest using a search tool to answer most questions about baseball  and then you can also use the messaging feature on here to ask anything . I will volunteer to answer any questions you may have,

Same. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. If not, I'll refer you to Kalapse, who unfortunately doesn't post enough.

12 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Welcome aboard! Got a couple of other posters from different countries so you're not alone! (miss DBAH0 though)

What happened to him, btw?

19 hours ago, Bazox said:

Hi from the UK.

I've been a quite few years on this earth and a month ago I couldn't have told you a single rule about baseball, I'm a footie fan (soccer) , hate cricket and rugby . My new TV contract gives me access to a MLB game most nights and through a friend who is a Yankee's fan I decided to have a go at watching these ball games , the bug bit almost straight away , I love it , I've watched every night even got a phone app for latest scores.

I'm a White Sox fan , why :

In the 80's Channel 4 over here ran NFL games which I watched and supported the Bears , Chicago has always signified USA for me , I looked at the baseball  teams and it had to be the  Sox although I've been unable to follow them over the years.

So here I am learning the game everyday and so are the team by the looks of their start to the season 😀 .

It can only get better

Baz

Welcome aboard!  You've chosen a great board to be a member of, lots of knowledgeable posters here. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bazox said:

This is a first for me I was unaware you could play twice in one day , do the teams have the same line up bar the pitcher ?

For the most part, yes. Generally 3-4 of the players only play one game but since the Sox only have a 3 man bench, it'll be 3 different players in the second game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazox said:

This is a first for me I was unaware you could play twice in one day , do the teams have the same line up bar the pitcher ?

Also, playing twice in a day (called a double-header) isn't something that is scheduled anymore. They used to do it often on weekends, but now they are only done when another game is canceled due to weather and there isn't an extra day to play the game. 

• Like 1