Zack Collins Criticism

Y2Jimmy0

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Everyone in this thread needs to read this. 

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-zack-collins-clicking-again-at-plate/c-275805192?tcid=tw_article_275805192

It also makes me question what the Sox minor league team was doing with Collins early on in the season, when all those stories came out about "They know what's wrong with my swing, it's a hitch we're going to fix in the offseason."

I would have to hear from the coaching staff but it is alarming that Collins had to do the research himself in order to fix his issues. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-zack-collins-clicking-again-at-plate/c-275805192?tcid=tw_article_275805192

It also makes me question what the Sox minor league team was doing with Collins early on in the season, when all those stories came out about "They know what's wrong with my swing, it's a hitch we're going to fix in the offseason."

This article is really telling, if the Sox want sustained success and develop kids throught the draft then this stuff is completely unacceptable.

"When I step in the box, I'm looking for a fastball down the middle," Collins said. "If it's not there, I don't swing. Sometimes, that means I'll be behind in the count, but I can handle that OK. A lot of people ask me why I take so many walks, and it is kinda crazy. But I really just want my pitch."

Something Jim Thome would say

5 hours ago, Tony said:

So did he go back to his old swing, or just his old stance? Whatever it is, it is working. Collins has been my fav player in our system and I am super excited to see him mashin!

7 hours ago, reiks12 said:

I would have to hear from the coaching staff but it is alarming that Collins had to do the research himself in order to fix his issues. 

I agree, but just to play devil's advocate - we have no clue what the Sox staff had suggested to Collins so far this season, nor Collin's willingness to listen. For all we know that old swing may also be exploitable once the league gets more looks at him (though I hope not). Could the Sox perhaps push certain guys in the system to figure out their own adjustments as part of the development process? 

As a sidenote: Collins' splits are pretty drastic so far this year. He's hitting .288 against RHP while only sporting a .091 BA against southpaws (though both small sample sizes). Over his entire minor league career, he's now at .251/.182 vs. RHP/LHP. So he definitely appears to be at least average matchup against RHP and the strong side of a platoon role. I could easily live with that. 

The Sox have never seemed to be overly prescriptive in pushing swing changes or pitching mechanics changes before they become a hurdle and Getz himself has talked about letting players figure it out.

the “Sox demanded he changed his swing to suck!” is probably much more “Sox and Collins worked together on how to accomplish a path in his swing he wanted, but it ended up being counterproductive and also is part of development”

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

For all we know that old swing may also be exploitable once the league gets more looks at him (though I hope not).

That's the only thing I can think of.

His swing in college is what made him a first round draft pick... why in God's name did ANYBODY think it would be a good idea to change it?  unless...  

(this was my argument back on page 1 of this thread)

Maybe somebody at FS can ask Getz or Hostetler about this?

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I'm glad they at least didn't tinker with Eloy's swing when he got here from the Cubs system. Geez, very telling.

How do you know they didn't? Afterall, he was only hitting .271 with 11 extra base hits with the Cubs prior to the trade. After the trade, in only a few more games, he hit about .350 with 28 extra base hits and an OPS almost 200 points higher, while also moving up a level to AA. Eloy has put up much better numbers since he came over to the Sox. Maybe he did tweak his swing/stance, I honestly never watched him in the Cubs system.

15 hours ago, Tony said:

Since April 24th you say?? Hmmm...

You're welcome. 😉

18 hours ago, bmags said:

The Sox have never seemed to be overly prescriptive in pushing swing changes or pitching mechanics changes before they become a hurdle and Getz himself has talked about letting players figure it out.

the “Sox demanded he changed his swing to suck!” is probably much more “Sox and Collins worked together on how to accomplish a path in his swing he wanted, but it ended up being counterproductive and also is part of development”

Hooray for the voice of reason.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:33 PM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I agree, but just to play devil's advocate - we have no clue what the Sox staff had suggested to Collins so far this season, nor Collin's willingness to listen. For all we know that old swing may also be exploitable once the league gets more looks at him (though I hope not). Could the Sox perhaps push certain guys in the system to figure out their own adjustments as part of the development process? 

As a sidenote: Collins' splits are pretty drastic so far this year. He's hitting .288 against RHP while only sporting a .091 BA against southpaws (though both small sample sizes). Over his entire minor league career, he's now at .251/.182 vs. RHP/LHP. So he definitely appears to be at least average matchup against RHP and the strong side of a platoon role. I could easily live with that. 

Considering Zavala crushes LHP at a much better clip than righties, these two could form a very very good platoon here in a year or two.  

This is a question and not a comment, but in the Comments section for the fangraphs mock draft, someone mentioned they read that some site has Collins listed as the worst framer in all of AA, AAA and MLB.  Anyone familiar with this site?

I think he might never hit for average but he walks a ton. If he can improve his power and contact rate a little bit he maybe could become a Carlos Santana although he likely won't be as good of a contact hitter and thus more a 240 instead of 270 hitter.

But if he hits 240/350/460 that would be pretty nice but the question is whether he can catch. 

21 hours ago, fathom said:

This is a question and not a comment, but in the Comments section for the fangraphs mock draft, someone mentioned they read that some site has Collins listed as the worst framer in all of AA, AAA and MLB.  Anyone familiar with this site?

I think Fegan mentioned something along these lines in his Athletic article about Collins and Zavala.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:33 PM, fathom said:

Do you go out of your way to find negative things ?  I mean look at that comment of yours . It reads like a friend of a friend said  that a friend of a friend said this while just a few comments ago  Fegan's twitter said Collins has greatly improved his ability to stick strikes on the corners

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
left out a word

48 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Do you go out of your way to find negative things ?  I mean look at that comment of yours . It reads like a friend of a friend said  that a friend of a friend said this while just a few comments ago  Fegan's twitter said Collins has greatly improved his ability to stick strikes on the corners

Actually tried to word it as carefully as I could, as I had never heard that and you never know what to trust in a comments section