Zack Collins Criticism

Y2Jimmy0

I don't want to be too sally sunshine on Collins as a catcher, but I also just am not going to live and die on the here and now of his defensive abilities. He's working on stuff, he's confident and as of now, the sox are confident. 

As I've said before, I have too many anecdotal references of players that were DEFINITELY gonna move positions in the minors only to not, and sometimes even being really good.

It doesn't mean Collins will be, but the opinions around it just don't seem as interesting or predictive to me as opinions around hitting or plate approach.

On 5/9/2018 at 11:56 AM, TheTruth05 said:

This article is really telling, if the Sox want sustained success and develop kids throught the draft then this stuff is completely unacceptable.

He talked more about the changes on the WS Talk podcast. He tried to get rid of the hitch but didn't feel comfortable with it so he decided he's had a hitch all his life, he might as well go back to what has worked for him back to Little League. He reached out to his coaches at Miami for game tape.

32 minutes ago, fathom said:

He talked more about the changes on the WS Talk podcast. He tried to get rid of the hitch but didn't feel comfortable with it so he decided he's had a hitch all his life, he might as well go back to what has worked for him back to Little League. He reached out to his coaches at Miami for game tape.

I haven't had a chance to listen but thanks, I will go listen.i wonder how big that hitch will play if/when he reaches the majors.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:02 AM, bmags said:

On 5/17/2018 at 9:19 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m just not sure how much I trust Minor League framing stats.

With everything we've heard about him being a defensive work in progress I'm not at all surprised he's going to need work on this. I'm just darn glad that the White Sox signed a veteran for 2 years to buy him the time to work on those things. This is literally not the first case of this from the White Sox, Tyler Flowers was a weak framer when the White Sox dumped him for the big upgrade that was Alex Avila and Dioner Navarro in our successful 2016 championship campaign, but he's turned himself into one of the better ones in the league. This is a skill people can learn and a number of people have gotten better at that as people have paid more attention to it.

4 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

What I found interesting about Collin's numbers so far is the lack of XBH. He has 7 dingers, which is good, but only like 3 doubles. Kind of strange that he is either crushing it out, or lacing singles.

Either way, having a great season and should help this team in the long run

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

What I found interesting about Collin's numbers so far is the lack of XBH. He has 7 dingers, which is good, but only like 3 doubles. Kind of strange that he is either crushing it out, or lacing singles.

Once he gets to MLB and the juiced ball, I expect this to become less extreme. i.e. more doubles

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Once he gets to MLB and the juiced ball, I expect this to become less extreme. i.e. more doubles

He’s a guy who should really benefit from the pros both from the juiced balls and better umps.  I’ve seen him be the victim of multiple bad calls in the few games I’ve watched him.

Taking a closer look at Collins numbers, he looks to me to be a future platoon guy, not so much a guy that can start 120-130 games, but more like 90-100 against RHP.  

Collins Career Minor League Stats:

vs. RHP:  182 g, 25 hr, .254/.415/.488, 21.6% BB%, 26.5% K%, .326 BABIP

vs. LHP:  110 g, 7 hr, .194/.339/.340, 16.7% BB%, 29.7% K%, .261 BABIP

This is a pretty decent sample size at this point, and while he's shown he can absolutely mash RHP, he hasn't shown any ability at all to hit lefties.  This makes me think the logical solution for the future is to platoon him with Zavala, who has better splits against lefties than righties.

Zavala Career Minor League Stats:

vs. RHP:  268 g, 31 hr, .270/.346/.468, 9.0% BB%, 25.0% K%, .336 BABIP

vs. LHP:  142 g, 11 hr, .284/.368/.498, 10.8% BB%, 24.8% K%, .354 BABIP

While his splits are nowhere near as drastic as Collins, he has shown a propensity to hit lefties at a better clip than righties (about an .860 OPS vs. .810 OPS).  Now if the Sox decide to platoon these two, we're looking at all star contribution offensively from the catcher position with the ability of both of them to DH now and then on days they don't catch.  

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

While lack of walks is always a concern, a lot of walks doesn't always carry forward, obviously due to the far superior control of major league pitchers.  Like to see that batting average higher and still too many Ks.

He has a 24.5% BB rate, that’s going to come with a bunch of strikeouts whether you like it or not.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He has a 24.5% BB rate, that’s going to come with a bunch of strikeouts whether you like it or not.

A 35% K rate is a problem whether you like it or not.  
And it's more likely to carry forward than the 24.5% rate if he doesn't hit better.

22 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

A 35% K rate is a problem whether you like it or not.  
And it's more likely to carry forward than the 24.5% rate if he doesn't hit better.

What in the world are you talking about?  His K rate was 27.1% coming into the day.  Would I like it lower, sure, but it’s not a problem give his BB rate & power.

If he can maintain a .400+ OBP, and hit 25+ homers, as the primary catcher, when he gets to the Big Leagues, he will be a very productive player. Remember, he is a catcher and a left handed bat. The key will be whether, or not, he is an adequate back stop. If he is, I wouldn't care what his strike out rate would be. A catcher, batting left handed, in the middle of the order, would be fantastic. So far this season, versus RHP his stat line is: 

.295    .469     .562     1.030