What is up with Lucas Giolito?

wrathofhahn

BTW, my comments with regard to Giolito and Fulmer and being DFA were strictly options based. It wouldn't even be a consideration until the end of ST 2019. If they both go down and still look bad at the end of next spring, they're out of options and a decision would have to be made. What sucks is that Giolito has to either sink or swim in the bigs at this point due to options and such. He's so inconsistent. Also, he's not missing bats. I also don't understand how a pitcher who is 23 can lose 5 mph on his fastball and not be hurt. 

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

BTW, my comments with regard to Giolito and Fulmer and being DFA were strictly options based. It wouldn't even be a consideration until the end of ST 2019. If they both go down and still look bad at the end of next spring, they're out of options and a decision would have to be made. What sucks is that Giolito has to either sink or swim in the bigs at this point due to options and such. He's so inconsistent. Also, he's not missing bats. I also don't understand how a pitcher who is 23 can lose 5 mph on his fastball and not be hurt. 

I keep saying it, but Fulmer has an option for next year.

Another Erik Johnson....goes from 97-100 MPH in high school at Harvard Westlake in LA to TJS to mid 90's to low 90's over the course of 5 years.   Just as mysterious is the loss of control and inability to get over his offspeed offerings.   It's incredibly rare in this day and age to see a pitcher with more walks than strikeouts.

This at a time when the average MLB fastball for a starting pitcher is at 94-95.

I’ll keep saying it, but they really need to send him down.  Whatever he’s doing right now is not working.  His stuff has evaporated and the control is beyond garbage.  See if working with McCatty in a low pressure environment does the trick.  Feeding him to the wolves at the major league level isn’t doing him any good IMO.

What's the reason they haven't sent him down after the game today?

Simply because Rodon's not quite ready, and now MIGHT have had a setback if he has any concussion symptoms in the next few days?

They can always use Volstad...or Danish, or even start Beck.  They need to do something SOON.

4 minutes ago, Dizzy Sox said:

I'm worried Giolito has Scott Ruffcorn disease.  Tears up the minors, can't do a thing in the bigs.  

Giolito has been known as someone who had worse stats than his stuff would lead you to believe. Problem is the stuff has regressed so much.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dizzy Sox said:

I'm worried Giolito has Scott Ruffcorn disease.  Tears up the minors, can't do a thing in the bigs.  

Ruffcorn was never considered to be the Top RH pitching prospect in all of MLB...maybe even the top pitching prospect in the game.

He was a fairly high pick, but nothing like the expectations for Giolito 2-3 years ago.

Edited by caulfield12

I haven't seen Gio's starts so I'm just talking off box scores. He is 6-foot-6. He is walking some people. Sometimes these tall guys need to have simple windups or pitch from the stretch. I'm assuming he hasn't put much thought in his delivery, but he better go train under Randy Johnson for a month this offseason. Like I said, these excessively tall pitchers often have control problems. PTATC can u analyze his delivery?

I just watched highlights. His delivery looked fine but he looked like he was pitching batting practice. He's lucky he didn't get killed out there. He was just laying it in there over the plate and it didn't seem very fast, either. Yikes. Does he have any options? Send his ass to minors. He won't be getting many guys out with that stuff.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I just watched highlights. His delivery looked fine but he looked like he was pitching batting practice. He's lucky he didn't get killed out there. He was just laying it in there over the plate and it didn't seem very fast, either. Yikes. Does he have any options? Send his ass to minors. He won't be getting many guys out with that stuff.

No shit.

On 5/19/2018 at 10:31 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Gio has one option left though, no? 

44 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I don't think he will get sent down but I could see a brief phantom DL stint to get a little extra rest and get a little extra side work with Coop.

A few weeks ago I was in the boat of just letting him take him lumps against major leaguers.  But at this point, I'd be open to sending him down and let him work on things at Charlotte.  He just doesn't have it right now.

IIRC, Giolito was entirely terrible the first 1.5-2 months in AAA last season, and then something clicked.  Hopefully something similar happens this season.    

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

A few weeks ago I was in the boat of just letting him take him lumps against major leaguers.  But at this point, I'd be open to sending him down and let him work on things at Charlotte.  He just doesn't have it right now.

IIRC, Giolito was entirely terrible the first 1.5-2 months in AAA last season, and then something clicked.  Hopefully something similar happens this season.    

I don't think much actually clicked, though -- his results became fantastic behind the same terrible peripherals. His minor league numbers have never actually been all that good.

Could it just be the guy just sucks? I know the whole Nationals screwed up his mechanics thing, but people are too married to Keith Law thinking this guy is good. He throws 91-92 and misses his spots not by inches, but by yards. And when he does throw something over the plate, how often does he make someone look foolish? As Kat Williams would say, "not never". 

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Could it just be the guy just sucks? I know the whole Nationals screwed up his mechanics thing, but people are too married to Keith Law thinking this guy is good. He throws 91-92 and misses his spots not by inches, but by yards. And when he does throw something over the plate, how often does he make someone look foolish? As Kat Williams would say, "not never". 

I'm believing this to be the case honestly.