What is up with Lucas Giolito?

wrathofhahn

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I've sat through a few seminars with Hahn and he mentioned at those seminars he expected Fulmer and Giolito to be major parts of the rebuild.

It amazes me how some people won't criticize the guys we got in the trades. We have the right to blast them and question Hahn until they start producing. These guys are all making good money, produce.

Despite the results I liked what I saw from Giolito. He's still struggling with his control but his pitches have more life to them. His two-seam sat around 93mph with late movement, the slider and curve had good bite to them. Control did him in.

I'd like to see him throw that two-seam more often. Only throw the four-seam high on 0-2/1-2 counts.  

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I've sat through a few seminars with Hahn and he mentioned at those seminars he expected Fulmer and Giolito to be major parts of the rebuild.

If he was a good GM he would have been honest and deemed them busts at the seminar. What a joke of a GM. 

2 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

If he was a good GM he would have been honest and deemed them busts at the seminar. What a joke of a GM. 

What else is he going to say? It’s not like Coop was giving the seminar. I’m all in favor of Coop answering all pitcher related questions from now on. 

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

You honestly believe that no one can improve after the age of 23 and 24 career starts? 

3 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Well he looked solid last year.. but

He doesn't have great stuff and lacks control.. I kind of don't see the end game for him. 

Endgame could be he ends up an arm in the pen. Luke Hochevar comes to mind as a guy who couldn't figure it out as a starter but had 3 very good years once moving to the pen.

7 hours ago, fathom said:

Giolito was absolutely supposed to be part of the rotation for when they're contenders. Hopefully Covey becomes a member.

Since when? Maybe that was the plan going into 2017, but you can't assume a guy will suddenly turn his stuff into gold. 

This seems to be old White Sox fan logic going to work, because even just a few years back, we were incapable of doing anything but relying on a select few guys to translate their potential into tangible results. That isn't the case anymore. We have quantity as well as quality, so we can accommodate for the inevitable bust here or there that ultimately takes place, regardless of franchise. 

Fact is that there were very legitimate doubts that Giolito could be a consistent rotation pitcher since he was dealt. He was a high risk, high reward guy. He had a ton of potential but a lot of issues to adjust. So far, those issues are still a factor and we aren't reaping his potential. Granted, he's been better, but not good at all still. 

You can't expect the plan moving forward to be relying on a guy who was a flight risk going into the trade. 

As for what Hahn said, I couldn't care less. I need context first, and more often than not, that will just be GM speak, because what purpose does it serve to talk down a guy in your current rotation? Either you hurt his confidence or your hurt his trade value or both.  

Edited by Dan of Steel

3 hours ago, Dan of Steel said:

Since when? Maybe that was the plan going into 2017, but you can't assume a guy will suddenly turn his stuff into gold. 

This seems to be old White Sox fan logic going to work, because even just a few years back, we were incapable of doing anything but relying on a select few guys to translate their potential into tangible results. That isn't the case anymore. We have quantity as well as quality, so we can accommodate for the inevitable bust here or there that ultimately takes place, regardless of franchise. 

Fact is that there were very legitimate doubts that Giolito could be a consistent rotation pitcher since he was dealt. He was a high risk, high reward guy. He had a ton of potential but a lot of issues to adjust. So far, those issues are still a factor and we aren't reaping his potential. Granted, he's been better, but not good at all still. 

You can't expect the plan moving forward to be relying on a guy who was a flight risk going into the trade. 

As for what Hahn said, I couldn't care less. I need context first, and more often than not, that will just be GM speak, because what purpose does it serve to talk down a guy in your current rotation? Either you hurt his confidence or your hurt his trade value or both.  

Of course he was considered a part of the rebuild. He wasn’t exactly a throw in for the Eaton trade. He won’t be 24 for another month, so maybe there is still a chance. His performance after he was called up last season was pretty similar to Lopez performance this year. Is Lopez not considered part of the rebuild either? Did they just give Eaton away? 

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Of course he was considered a part of the rebuild. He wasn’t exactly a throw in for the Eaton trade. He won’t be 24 for another month, so maybe there is still a chance. His performance after he was called up last season was pretty similar to Lopez performance this year. Is Lopez not considered part of the rebuild either? Did they just give Eaton away? 

I never said Giolito wasn't part of the rebuild. I insinuated that he wasn't a major part of the rotation and the fate of the success of this rebuild didn't hinge on whether he succeeded or failed. Obviously, having him figure his stuff out and realizing his potential would benefit this team moving forward, but there are a ridiculous number of pitchers in the farm that very much can take his place and keep the competitive window on schedule. 

32 minutes ago, Dan of Steel said:

I never said Giolito wasn't part of the rebuild. I insinuated that he wasn't a major part of the rotation and the fate of the success of this rebuild didn't hinge on whether he succeeded or failed. Obviously, having him figure his stuff out and realizing his potential would benefit this team moving forward, but there are a ridiculous number of pitchers in the farm that very much can take his place and keep the competitive window on schedule. 

I think a lot of people , including White Sox employees, were expecting Giolito to be a part of the next good White Sox team. The same things that happened to Giolito can happen to all of these guys. Hopefully it won’t. 

I would like to know know who you think they are counting on. IMO, it is more likely they have to still spend a lot of money on pitching when they start trying to be good, than they have all the pitching they need except for some small pieces here and there in house. One reason Theo stuck with hitters is the crapshoot young pitching is.

Edited by Dick Allen

If we stipulate that the 3 OF spots will be nicely manned by current minor leaguers, then rebuild timing/effectiveness will rely upon starting pitching and quality IF'rs. As we sit here today, its not obvious beyond Rodon who among the current crop of pitchers can be counted on as future starters. Covey looks projectable but jury still out on Kopech, Lopez, Hanson, et al. Sure we can project outcomes for guys like Dunning and Cease but the minor leagues are full of promising youngsters who can through fastballs. That said, I have more confidence in our ability to produce a competitive rotation out of existing assets than I do for our infield. Its hard to project what the IF will look like in 2-3 years based on the current guys we pencil in. Other than Abreu (who might be better used in trade), its hard to be inspired. When you go around the horn of the top tier teams, we pale at every position.  To compensate, we need to trot out a rotation that can shut teams down. Here's hoping a couple guys seperate themselves from the pack and can be counted on in 2020 and beyond.  

• Like 1

I Look at Boston and New York and they are producing positional players but struggle to bring up young pitchers. So they go out and trade/buy them.  If the Sox can produce enough positional players, they will only need a couple of the young pitchers to develop as long as they spend for pitching on the free agent market. 

I would like to see the Sox jump start this rebuild by trading for Machado with a package that overwhelms the O's, and then open the check book to sign him long term before he goes to Free Agency.

So, for anyone who might agree, would you consider including  Moncada or Giolito or Abreu as a potential centerpiece in a trade for Machado?

My guess is that it would take one of them plus another player like Avi or a pitching prospect like Fulmer to get it done....to beat teams like the Cubs who will offer up a substantial package of prospects/players to get Machado.

29 minutes ago, tray said:

I would like to see the Sox jump start this rebuild by trading for Machado with a package that overwhelms the O's, and then open the check book to sign him long term before he goes to Free Agency.

So, for anyone who might agree, would you consider including  Moncada or Giolito or Abreu as a potential centerpiece in a trade for Machado?

My guess is that it would take one of them plus another player like Avi or a pitching prospect like Fulmer to get it done....to beat teams like the Cubs who will offer up a substantial package of prospects/players to get Machado.

It was made clear this past winter that Machado is not signing an extension and will hit the free agent market. Why in the world would he pass on an opportunity to have multiple contenders bid for him on the open market?

Ugh.  The rebuild is still a toddler. Of course there are still questions. At the stage the Cubs and Astros were will losing 100 games a year.  I have never gotten the rush to be first to declare failures and enjoy that.  Get off your phones and go enjoy your dads and/ or kids instead of being miserable about a game that is supposed to bring happiness and escape. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Please though, tell me more about how his issues are physical and not mental when the dude consistently gets the first two out and then melts down 

He actually pitched pretty well yesterday except for 2 pitches. If those don’t happen, it’s probably Giolito is back on track to being an ace. The problem is he makes those bad pitches or he walks a ton of guys . If it isn’t one thing, it’s another. I think both mental and stuff have been issues this year.