Gamethread: White Sox vs Mariners 1:10 PM CST

Kyyle23

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

USA Today wrote today that 7 or 9 teams (I forget which) already are out of the playoff race with no chance for the playoffs. Embarrassing. I wish teams that tank would be fined severely.

Disagree on the fining but baseball does have a huge problem with so many teams not even trying to compete this year.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

USA Today wrote today that 7 or 9 teams (I forget which) already are out of the playoff race with no chance for the playoffs. Embarrassing. I wish teams that tank would be fined severely.

I would have no problem with the next CBA having elements that encourage competing on a yearly basis. There’s nothing they can do right now. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Disagree on the fining but baseball does have a huge problem with so many teams not even trying to compete this year.

That's cause you and flavum are intelligent peeps who realize it is a huge problem. As a Sox fan I am furious they are lining Jerry's pockets with this low payroll. You can still rebuild and play .480 baseball. As badly as the White Sox have drafted, it is ridiculous to make sure you get a top 3 pick. Nothing wrong with a 8, 9, 10 pick if you do it right. We, for instance, could have a real outfield instead of this crap. There's no reason to be developing Engel, Trayce or Leury. Yolmer is a nice piece but he doesn't need 480-540 at bats either. And who are we developing on the mound? Sox could have acquired some guys who can get people out and go .480 and still be "rebuilding." Tanking reeks.

Edited by greg775

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd like a ban on complaining about Yoan's strikeouts as long as his OPS is currently above 800.

The guy is a monster when he puts the ball in play. However he's taking far too many called 3rd down the plate due to guessing.  

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That's cause you and flavum are intelligent peeps who realize it is a huge problem. As a Sox fan I am furious they are lining Jerry's pockets with this low payroll. You can still rebuild and play .480 baseball. As badly as the White Sox have drafted, it is ridiculous to make sure you get a top 3 pick. Nothing wrong with a 8, 9, 10 pick if you do it right. We, for instance, could have a real outfield instead of this crap. There's no reason to be developing Engel, Trayce or Leury. Yolmer is a nice piece but he doesn't need 480-540 at bats either. And who are we developing on the mound? Sox could have acquired some guys who can get people out and go .480 and still be "rebuilding." Tanking reeks.

Who cares if you win 70 games or 77 games in the long run?  The fan base has already checked out this year in terms of thinking this team can compete.

7 minutes ago, flavum said:

I would have no problem with the next CBA having elements that encourage competing on a yearly basis. There’s nothing they can do right now. 

The trick right now is the superteams. If you're a 75 win team and you're staring up at the Cleveland Indians winning 100 games, getting yourself to 85 wins does no good. You can't convince yourself you can win the division by luck and you can't convince yourself you have a chance as a wild card.

Heck, the 2nd wild card has actually hurt things in this regard, you spend a lot to win the wild card, then you go home after 1 game.

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Who are we developing on the mound?

Let's see:
Lucas Giolito (recent top 10 MLB prospect)
Reynaldo Lopez
Carson Fulmer (recent top 10 draft pick)
Carlos Rodon (recent top 5 draft pick)
Michael Kopech (the most beautiful man on Earth)

That's a lot of pitching to develop right there.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Who cares if you win 70 games or 77 games in the long run?  The fan base has already checked out this year in terms of thinking this team can compete.

I'd rather win 70 and find out a lot about these kids than win 77 but still wonder about some of the in between guys like Davidson, Delmonico, Yolmer, etc.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I'd rather win 70 and find out a lot about these kids than win 77 but still wonder about some of the in between guys like Davidson, Delmonico, Yolmer, etc.

Yep no one has benefitted from the tank more than Yolmer

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Davidson has a hole in his bat these days. Definitely a 65 power, 30 hit tool type guy 

I'm not sure if BABIP going up is enough to do it, and yes his slugging is high because of 1 game, but right now we're still talking about a guy who has an .800 OPS and a .250 BABIP. IF that latter number moves back up towards .300 with plate appearances...and he can do that without the power numbers dropping, that's not a bad set of DH numbers. An .850 OPS for the DH slot from a cheap player would, IMO, be ideal. He's not there yet, but he's close enough that I'm still tantalized.