Gamethread: White Sox vs Mariners 1:10 PM CST

Kyyle23

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The trick right now is the superteams. If you're a 75 win team and you're staring up at the Cleveland Indians winning 100 games, getting yourself to 85 wins does no good. You can't convince yourself you can win the division by luck and you can't convince yourself you have a chance as a wild card.

Heck, the 2nd wild card has actually hurt things in this regard, you spend a lot to win the wild card, then you go home after 1 game.

If it were up to me, they would eliminate divisions and play a close-to-balanced schedule. Being attached to a 5-team division has been awful for the game. If you are just on your own to be one of the 5 of 15, you have more incentive to crack 85 wins.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

They must have had a different angle because it looked like his foot was on the base.

Looked like it probably was. However, I knew we wouldn't get it. One of those where you just can't see 100% for certain. Which is where they let the call stand.

8 minutes ago, flavum said:

If it were up to me, they would eliminate divisions and play a close-to-balanced schedule. Being attached to a 5-team division has been awful for the game. If you are just on your own to be one of the 5 of 15, you have more incentive to crack 85 wins.

I agree but it'll never happen. Owners love playing close to home 19 times a season.

Just now, fathom said:

Why?  The roster is one of the worst in baseball. Individual development is way, way more important 

For the general reason folks want to win. I like for my team to win. I can't help it.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

the bottom half of the order was absolutely putrid today.  Maybe on paper the worst 6-9 that will be fielded by any team this year.

Easily, it legit reminded me of split-squad lineups from the spring 

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Shocked our split-squad lineup couldn't pull it out. I'm officially on draft watch 2019. Today was a good loss

I'm not ready for that yet, as I had (have) hopes that the team will be pretty solid in the second half once kopech and rodon are here. 

Although, I guess I'm not upset when they lose already. Need to ask 76ers and astros fans how you transition back into getting mad about losses after not minding them for so long

Could we have at least tried Leury and Castillo in that final sequence...?

At least Palka had a pretty decent at-bat there, and Engel escaped further traumatization/torture from Diaz.  Engel is hitting with all hands, zero leg and hip drive, off balance, completely out of synch, totally lost his spring training approach of attacking the baseball.

Edited by caulfield12

27 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Good point, but I'm irritable cause I want wins.

You're irritable because they aren't winning but you're so damn far into "wins" that you're missing the entire point. The best teams in baseball are because of a direct result of once upon a time building up their farm, whether it's those prospects impacting THEIR team (Astros, Cubs, Dodgers), those prospects helping their team RECEIVE great vets (Yankees), or a combination (Red Sox, Indians). You have let this crap blind you to the point that you said that the Sox are currently not developing any pitchers. I mean, are you serious?

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You're irritable because they aren't winning but you're so damn far into "wins" that you're missing the entire point. The best teams in baseball are because of a direct result of once upon a time building up their farm, whether it's those prospects impacting THEIR team (Astros, Cubs, Dodgers), those prospects helping their team RECEIVE great vets (Yankees), or a combination (Red Sox, Indians). You have let this crap blind you to the point that you said that the Sox are currently not developing any pitchers. I mean, are you serious?

Well, yeah I'm serious. Balta listed these pitchers to educate me. We're developing, he said, Gio (true), Lopez (true), Fulmer (true), Rodon (?) and Kopech (?) Who else on our staff are we actually developing? Miguel and Shields, no. Those bullpen hacks, no.

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Well, yeah I'm serious. Balta listed these pitchers to educate me. We're developing, he said, Gio (true), Lopez (true), Fulmer (true), Rodon (?) and Kopech (?) Who else on our staff are we actually developing? Miguel and Shields, no. Those bullpen hacks, no.

Why is there a question mark after Kopech? He's 21, pitching in AAA, throws 100 mph, developing his change-up, and is being coached by White Sox instructors and coaches.

Rodon was being developed. He was drafted by the White Sox. He got hurt, and it seems to be a bad injury. What do you want them to do? Magically medicate him back onto the mound?

As for Shields and Gonzalez, you do realize that in a rebuild (or TANK!!!, as you call it), there are slots in the rotation where vets, usually crappy ones, have to eat innings right? The bullpen can't be called on for 4-5 innings every night. Furthermore, the young guys, like Kopech, are typically on an annual innings limit, so someone has to pitch those innings. That's what Gonzalez and Shields are supposed to do.

If Rodon was healthy, they would be "developing" 80% of their starting rotation + the best pitching prospect on the planet. What more do you want them to do?

There's also service time issues, and while I'm not as well-versed as I wish I was in this department, I'm sure some far knowledgeable posters can educate you on this, if you're wondering why there aren't young guys in the 'pen and why Kopech still isn't up (which again, besides service time, he still needs to develop his change-up).

Edited by soxfan49

5 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I read  elsewhere that the White Sox play 5 games this weekend at KC, there is speculation that Kopech will be brought up to pitch in one of the games.

Today is Wednesday. He pitched this morning. So, no.