Gillaspie Outrighted off 40 Man

ChiSox59

I don't think it means much. Obviously, you want as many available slots as you can have, and since he's been so awful, now was a good time to get him off the 40 man. Chances are he sucks and will never make it, but you never know. But no sense having him take up a spot if you can get away with him not doing so.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Whats the earliest kopech can get called up without losing that extra year of control? Eary june?

He could be called up now. The only issue with calling him up now is that he would earn Super 2 status. But that just means '21, '22, '23, '24 will all be arbitration years instead of just '22, '23, '24.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Whats the earliest kopech can get called up without losing that extra year of control? Eary june?

13 days into the season buys you the extra year of control.  It isn't much.  Like the previous poster said, at this point the bigger consideration is Super 2.  All though I will say it should be a red flag that despite his peripherals, Kopech is only averaging just over 5 innings per start.  When he gets to the majors where guys are even more disciplined, that will turn into 100 pitches in four innings.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

13 days into the season buys you the extra year of control.  It isn't much.  Like the previous poster said, at this point the bigger consideration is Super 2.  All though I will say it should be a red flag that despite his peripherals, Kopech is only averaging just over 5 innings per start.  When he gets to the majors where guys are even more disciplined, that will turn into 100 pitches in four innings.

To be fair that's including his 1st start of the season where he threw 4 IP and just 77 pitches. He's gone 6 IP, 5IP, 6IP his last three with still relatively low pitch counts of 88, 95 and 98 respectively. I imagine they'll push him a little deeper as the season progresses. We will see him this season, just not yet.

1 hour ago, lasttriptotulsa said:

To be fair that's including his 1st start of the season where he threw 4 IP and just 77 pitches. He's gone 6 IP, 5IP, 6IP his last three with still relatively low pitch counts of 88, 95 and 98 respectively. I imagine they'll push him a little deeper as the season progresses. We will see him this season, just not yet.

Plus he has to harness his emotions

43 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

$10 million isn't anything to be sneezed at, especially when they aren't losing anything by keeping down the extra month anyway.  This team isn't going to compete so why waste it?