Anderson to CF?

caulfield12

We're another 30 errors away from that drumbeat REALLY picking up, but it's something we might have to consider.It has worked well when the Marlins/M's moved Dee Gordon to CF, for example.

You'd have to play Leury at SS...and probably keep looking for a long-term solution.

That would give you a defensive future outfield of Jimenez in LF, Anderson in CF and Luis Robert (they might flip-flop Robert and Anderson at some point, because of Anderson's arm strength for RF).

Then you'd have a bunch of pieces like Delmonico, Basabe, Adolfo and Rutherford as either trade bait or DH candidates (along with Davidson, if he doesn't play 1B with Abreu moving to DH).

Maybe you make Sanchez the super-sub, sign someone like Moustakas/Donaldson for at least 2-3 years for 3rd...still would have to find a SS long-term.

Edited by caulfield12

For some reason, I can't type in the same field where I just copied and pasted his defensive numbers...by the way, those were before he made his 6th error tonight.

Extrapolated out over a full season, that's going to be in the range of 35-45 errors.  Last year he started out at a similar pace and ended up "lowering" it to 28 by the end of the season, but he's still going to be lucky to be a 2.0-2.5 WAR player at the rate he's currently going.

Why not simply make him a 3-4.5 WAR centerfielder, let him concentrate more on his offensive game...and find another competent SS?

That would allow the White Sox to basically have 2 CFer's in Luis Robert and Anderson to go along with the more limited fielding of Eloy Jimenez.

You could also use the leftovers of Delmonico, Basabe, Adolfo and Rutherford to add to your pitching...one or two of those guys could potentially DH.  You could also play Davidson at 3B, Sanchez to supersub, etc.

Elvis Andrus (30) — can opt out of remaining four years and $58MM
Asdrubal Cabrera (33)
Eduardo Escobar (30)
Freddy Galvis (29)
Marwin Gonzalez (30) (don't realistically see him at this position, although technically he can play it)
Adeiny Hechavarria (30)
Jose Iglesias (29)
Manny Machado (26)
Jordy Mercer (32)
Eduardo Nuñez (32) — $4MM player option with a $2MM buyout
Eric Sogard (33)

And how many errors, for those who simply said "NO," would be too many or unacceptable to you for his 3rd season in the big leagues?

(Yes, we had this same argument nearly 20 years ago over Jose Valentin and Royce Clayton.  KW tried to make him (Jose) an outfielder/3B and it was a huge mistake, IMO.)

What about moving him to catcher? 

Then he can platoon with Narvaez against lefties and play CF when Engel needs a breather.  

Course that’s assuming Engel and Rutherford are building blocks and then you have to consider Robert.  Maybe Micker leap frogs Eloy and solves the problem.  

You could always use Yolmer at SS til we sign a FA (maybe Arenado??).  

Assuming Abreu stops hitting and he’s traded for Archer before the decline you got yourself a pretty good 1-2-3 punch with Kopech coming up and good defense with Rutherford/Call as the super subs.  It all hinges on Moncada. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Jerksticks said:

What about moving him to catcher? 

Then he can platoon with Narvaez against lefties and play CF when Engel needs a breather.  

Course that’s assuming Engel and Rutherford are building blocks and then you have to consider Robert.  Maybe Micker leap frogs Eloy and solves the problem.  

You could always use Yolmer at SS til we sign a FA (maybe Arenado??).  

Assuming Abreu stops hitting and he’s traded for Archer before the decline you got yourself a pretty good 1-2-3 punch with Kopech coming up and good defense with Rutherford/Call as the super subs.  It all hinges on Moncada. 

What... ohhhh I get it :lol:

30 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Fine, enjoy the sarcasm attempt.

But Tim Anderson will be the starting CFer for the White Sox coming into the 2019 season.

Anyone want to take that bet against me?

Yeah I will bet against you.  There is literally zero chance Anderson is the starting CF come next season.

• Like 1

We will see.

bWAR has him at negative defensive numbers (declining 3 consecutive years).

fWAR has him at 20th out of 26, with T.Turner, Story, Rosario, Peraza, Galvis and Machado (LAST) behind him.

His overall fWAR has him in the 11th-13th range, at 0.6, tied with Lindor and Eduardo Escobar.

You can live with that, probably, but I still think he'd be a much more relaxed player offensively if he didn't have to worry about playing SS on an everyday basis.  That said, he's kind of taken on the role of being the most vocal leader on the team, and that's a natural responsibility of a SS or catcher (historically), so that's something else to consider as well.

I just think it's much easier to come up with a SS these days than a CFer...for what it's worth, this is not specifically a reaction to the fact we have no candidates for that position (internally) for the next 16 months.

Edited by caulfield12

No he won’t stick in the outfield. We have a ton of legit outfield prospects. If Anderson can’t handle SS he’s a trade candidate. Draft a SS with our first rounder this year or next year. Machado would be a long shot but makes a lot of sense.

Edited by soxforlife05

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

We will see.

bWAR has him at negative defensive numbers (declining 3 consecutive years).

fWAR has him at 20th out of 26, with T.Turner, Story, Rosario, Peraza, Galvis and Machado (LAST) behind him.

His overall fWAR has him in the 11th-13th range, at 0.6, tied with Lindor and Eduardo Escobar.

You can live with that, probably, but I still think he'd be a much more relaxed player offensively if he didn't have to worry about playing SS on an everyday basis.  That said, he's kind of taken on the role of being the most vocal leader on the team, and that's a natural responsibility of a SS or catcher (historically), so that's something else to consider as well.

I just think it's much easier to come up with a SS these days than a CFer...for what it's worth, this is not specifically a reaction to the fact we have no candidates for that position (internally) for the next 16 months.

What makes you think Anderson’s defense is having any impact on his hitting?  You really should have posted these ideas/theories in the hot take thread, because the Sox aren’t moving Anderson off SS until they have to or a better option comes along.

Regardless of what any of us think, it's pretty apparent that management plans on Anderson and Moncada being the keystone combo for now, and well into the future.

Centerfield is going to belong to Robert, or Basabe, in the event that Robert moves to LF, which would be a waste of his speed. By the time Tim learned how to play the position, the next wave of players would already be on the MLB roster. Therefore, while the idea might have merit, it almost certainly will not become reality.

• Like 1

For the time being, there's no reason to move him off SS unless you're absolutely convinced he is incapable of being adequate there. As far as I'm concerned, it's very clear that he has the athletic tools to be really good there. He has great arm talent and can cover a lot of ground. While I'd say his hands are below average, by far his biggest impediments are his footwork and decisionmaking (which are related, I think). I would like to call up whoever was coaching him in the minors because these just weren't issues when he first came up — his footwork wasn't polished, but he was trying to do the right things. Now he too often makes errors because he isn't trying or isn't aware of how he should set himself up for a play.

We don't have a SS pushing him for time right now and there's no 3B that might push us to move guys around to accommodate someone there either.

Edited by Jake

Sox do not needs OF's. Anderson will play himself off the team in a couple of years or so. His baseball IQ is about 45 if you catch my drift. They need a guy who is steady and can make the routine plays. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pcq said:

Sox do not needs OF's. Anderson will play himself off the team in a couple of years or so. His baseball IQ is about 45 if you catch my drift. They need a guy who is steady and can make the routine plays. 

That's probably what you should expect, when you sign a basketball player. Let's hope that the experience, which he is acquiring, will raise his baseball IQ. Baseball acumen is not genetic. It takes time to develop.

21 minutes ago, pcq said:

Not to be the PC police here, but basically saying he is mentally retarded when it comes to baseball intelligence is a pretty terrible take.  He definitely is prone to errors bat that is entirely related to a lack of focus and/or poor fundamentals.  That can and should be coached up in time if our staff is worth a damn.  He may never reach his defensive potential, but thinking he will play himself off the team because of the glove is laughable IMO.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not to be the PC police here, but basically saying he is mentally retarded when it comes to baseball intelligence is a pretty terrible take.  He definitely is prone to errors bat that is entirely related to a lack of focus and/or poor fundamentals.  That can and should be coached up in time if our staff is worth a damn.  He may never reach his defensive potential, but thinking he will play himself off the team because of the glove is laughable IMO.

He makes mental mistakes fairly consistently. Suggest you lower your expectations. His main plus is that he is fairly athletic. I have not witnessed any improvement in his focus. He still is error-prone. 

• Like 1

Probably it’s related to nearly the same exact set of accusations being leveled at Alexei Ramirez...

Have to be careful with the “heady/scrappy overachieving gym rat (white) point guard” and the opposite stereotype with non-white “athletic” players.  Phrases in past gamethreads like “mental midget” or boneheaded come to mind.

Or the pervasive double standards in the treatment of college QB’s by NFL scouts/execs.

Edited by caulfield12