Davidson's Future

Lillian

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think Davidson certainly has power comparable to those guys, but yes his numbers are likely to come down from where they are right now. Drop the HR rate somewhat and he's still shaping up like a useful player.

I think he's somewhere between the player he was last year vs this year. So something like .240/.330/500 with 30-35 HR potential, who can handle DH and backup 1B, kind of like what Sox expected from Adam LaRoche.

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think he's somewhere between the player he was last year vs this year. So something like .240/.330/500 with 30-35 HR potential, who can handle DH and backup 1B, kind of like what Sox expected from Adam LaRoche.

And I'm totally ok with that for the next 5 years as our 5th or 6th place hitter. With his strikeout rate and HR rate he'll luck into some years better than that and probably have a year or two worse than that.

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If we get Adam LoRoche out of Matt Davidson, that is a huge bonus.

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And I'm totally ok with that for the next 5 years as our 5th or 6th place hitter. With his strikeout rate and HR rate he'll luck into some years better than that and probably have a year or two worse than that.

That's what I am thinking as well. Players with that kind of k% usually see their BA fluctuate. Some years they could hit .200 other years they hit .260

This is cool that the advanced stats favor Matt D. Cause my eye test actually saw a better hitter last year. He's been a bit TOO successful this year against just one team. Not complaining though cause the stat people are now loving Davidson which is fine by me, a professed Davidson lover via the old metrics.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, greg775 said:

This is cool that the advanced stats favor Matt D. Cause my eye test actually saw a better hitter last year. He's been a bit TOO successful this year against just one team. Not complaining though cause the stat people are now loving Davidson which is fine by me, a professed Davidson lover via the old metrics.

You actually ripped him this year despite being a significantly better player because his batting average was real low.  You have no idea what you’re talking about.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, greg775 said:

Great analysis.  

I don't get what his stats against one team have to do with anything. Davidson profile will always be a streaky hitter with his low avg, mid OBP, and monster power.

So he got hot in the KC series what does that have to do with anything? He also got hot in the CHC series. I assume as the season goes along there will be others.

Someone needs to put a stake in that idiotic take.

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You actually ripped him this year despite being a significantly better player because his batting average was real low.  You have no idea what you’re talking about.

I don't think I ripped him as I am an unabashed Davidson lover. I am laughing cause I think overall he was a better hitter last year, advanced stats be damned. Every game I watched he blasted the ball somewhere. Find where I 'ripped' him. I love him.

3 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

I don't get what his stats against one team have to do with anything. Davidson profile will always be a streaky hitter with his low avg, mid OBP, and monster power.

So he got hot in the KC series what does that have to do with anything? He also got hot in the CHC series. I assume as the season goes along there will be others.

Someone needs to put a stake in that idiotic take.

Aren't 8 of his 11 bombs vs. KC. I mean at some point that's kind of noteworthy.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, thxfrthmmrs said:

Considering I (and probably most on this board) thought he was organizational filler about a year ago, I'd count that as a huge and unexpected success, and a big shot in the arm of the rebuild.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Aren't 8 of his 11 bombs vs. KC. I mean at some point that's kind of noteworthy.

Why is it noteworthy? Kauffman stadium is an extreme pitchers park even if it weren't Davidson power plays anywhere.

http://www.parkfactors.com/KC

I mean sure it's an interesting factoid for announcers to mention but it doesn't mean anything.

18 hours ago, greg775 said:

I think overall he was a better hitter last year, advanced stats be damned.

Nothing worse than being proud about being ignorant.  Davidson was beyond horrible last year and he’s better across the board in every single traditional & advanced stat so far in 2018.  There is absolutely no argument whatsoever that he was a better hitter last year.  I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nothing worse than being proud about being ignorant.  Davidson was beyond horrible last year and he’s better across the board in every single traditional & advanced stat so far in 2018.  There is absolutely no argument whatsoever that he was a better hitter last year.  I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

I mean even if you don't think that this will last with Davidson, there is absolutely no way on god's green earth you can't say that Davidson has been better this year than last.  Whether it the eye test, stats, or some combination thereof, the dude is levels better than he was last year as of right now.

This is literally why people have quit taking greg seriously as a source of information.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean even if you don't think that this will last with Davidson, there is absolutely no way on god's green earth you can't say that Davidson has been better this year than last.  Whether it the eye test, stats, or some combination thereof, the dude is levels better than he was last year as of right now.

This is literally why people have quit taking greg seriously as a source of information.

It's only an opinion. I still said I love Davidson.

On 5/17/2018 at 9:26 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

I think he can be a solid role player for the team moving forward and who knows if Burger never gets on the field, he could be the starting 3rd baseman when (if) they actually get good in two years.

With what I've seen this year from both of them, given what we have seen so far, right now I have no issue with Davidson at DH and Sanchez at 3b and Harper in the OF and Kimbrel in the closer role or whatever. That may change as the year goes on if they cannot keep up these numbers, but I have no issues with a .750 OPS good defensive 3b and a .850+ OPS DH who occasionally can play 3b and 1b when people get hurt, if they're both cheap enough for me to afford Harper to replace Garcia.