Stop the stupid

southsider2k5

The veteran catchers that get a reputation like perez and molina have become insufferable. Basically are the hallway monitors of the league. They can cause fights and shove umpires without punishment, and yet get to act like they are the epitome of baseball. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flavum said:

I hope on every opposing homerun, the hitter gets to second base, looks at Anderson, and says F Yeah! 

You know, just havin’ fun. 

Well, here we have someone who doesn't get the difference between reacting to an accomplishment and directly taunting somebody.  

My favorite double standard is the one applied to pitchers. If you're a pitcher and you get a big strikeout to get out of a jam, nobody begrudges you doing a big Tiger Woods fist pump and scream. But a guy hits a home run and he's supposed to run real fast, stay quiet, and not watch it go. Otherwise he would be disrespectful to that poor pitcher.

4 minutes ago, Jake said:

My favorite double standard is the one applied to pitchers. If you're a pitcher and you get a big strikeout to get out of a jam, nobody begrudges you doing a big Tiger Woods fist pump and scream. But a guy hits a home run and he's supposed to run real fast, stay quiet, and not watch it go. Otherwise he would be disrespectful to that poor pitcher.

The bold is the key.  And nobody begrudges a guy getting more excited than usual when he hits a big homerun to tie a game in the 8th, or hit a walk off homer. That's emotion when it's genuine. 

Anderson- opening day, hits his 2nd homer in a blowout and does the same thing he did on Saturday...in the first inning between two teams that suck.

Anderson- gets a hit against Verlander and starts screaming at first base and throwing his hands up, down 5-0.

Seriously, if this his genuine emotion, then the Sox are going to be in a lot of fights this year. I don't dislike Anderson, but he's got no sense of the moment at all.

And look, I'm on an island here. I don't see anyone agreeing with me, which makes me think that maybe anything goes at anytime because that's what the new crop of fans wants. Just be consistent--if you want Tim and the other Sox players to be like that, then be prepared to get it back from the opponent and don't say a word.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

The bold is the key.  And nobody begrudges a guy getting more excited than usual when he hits a big homerun to tie a game in the 8th, or hit a walk off homer. That's emotion when it's genuine. 

Anderson- opening day, hits his 2nd homer in a blowout and does the same thing he did on Saturday...in the first inning between two teams that suck.

Anderson- gets a hit against Verlander and starts screaming at first base and throwing his hands up, down 5-0.

Seriously, if this his genuine emotion, then the Sox are going to be in a lot of fights this year. I don't dislike Anderson, but he's got no sense of the moment at all.

And look, I'm on an island here. I don't see anyone agreeing with me, which makes me think that maybe anything goes at anytime because that's what the new crop of fans wants. Just be consistent--if you want Tim and the other Sox players to be like that, then be prepared to get it back from the opponent and don't say a word.

I think this is where I disagree in that a home run is always a big moment with the probable exception of when you're being blown out. I think we'd be wise to think of what we tolerate as all well and good in football celebrations. A homer is like getting a sack, so I'm okay with them doing a sack dance.

7 minutes ago, flavum said:

But other opponents celebrate after singles and do all this every game against us, and they have for years. You're not getting that there's a difference between standard celebration and targeting opponents.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Pisses me off the Sox weren't able to win one of the last two.  FWIW it appears that they got into TAs head the rest of the series so mission accomplished.

Exactly. It always works out this way. Royals raise a stink or plunk some Sox hitters and the Sox slither away and lose.