PC Culture Gone Mad

Jenksismyhero

Because this country can't not find something to b**** about, here's the latest "controversy." White chick wears a traditional Chinese dress to prom. Random Chinese guy on Twitter says that's not cool. Tens of thousands of people "like" the Tweet and agree with him. Media picks up the controversy and makes it a bigger deal! 'Merica.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/05/01/its-just-a-dress-utah-teens-chinese-prom-attire-starts-cultural-appropriation-debate/

Seriously though, I love how the PC crowd forces everyone to completely ignore the differences between genders/races/cultures and pretend like we're all the exact same, but at the same time has rules to never misappropriate culture! Never wear anything that isn't intended for you! For shame! For shame!

This ridiculous story reminds me of Disney having to pull Moana/Maui outfits because, gasp!, white kids wanted to DRESS UP AND EMULATE BEING A DIFFERENT CULTURE OTHER THAN THEIR OWN. My God, the horror!

This country is the fucking worst. Nothing but assholes that like to b**** and whine and get upset over the smallest things. Seriously, fuck that guy on Twitter for complaining about this. 

/3:15pm rant.

Edited by Jenksismyhero

I think that there is some inherent hypocrisy in all of this. If on one hand, I am going to fight that everyone is equal, everyone should be treated the same etc etc, then I think its kind of bullshit to try and say "Oh but you cant wear or do X."

I actually was going to post about this when I read the article this morning. If we want to be a nation of immigrants a cultural melting pot etc, then we have to accept that other people may like whatever "our" culture might be.

There is a big difference between doing something disrespectfully and doing something because you like it. I dont know, maybe Im just backwards, but I thought the hope of characters like Moana, Elena, Doc McStuffins was to make it so that kids didnt just want to be Elsa/Anna. 

The article I read quote someone as saying  she should have "gotten permission" from multiple people from that culture to wear it.

Which essentially is exactly what happened once it went viral and a bunch of Chinese people supported her. 

It's like people are just looking for a reason to be angry at trivial things.

Edited by Iwritecode

While I agree this is over board, so too is the fuck you I can insult anyone I want and if you actually get insulted you are part of the PC b.s. crowd.

People once upon a time had manners. Is was considered impolite to insult someone.