Sox vs Cards @ Busch, 7:15pm

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why wouldn't the tie go to the baserunner? 

Contrary to what others are saying on the board, and to popular belief, tie does not go to the baserunner. The rulebook says the runner needs to beat the throw in order for the runner to be safe. In my opinion, Moncada didn't beat it, looked like a tie to me. So I think they got the call right. But what do I know.

17 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Contrary to what others are saying on the board, and to popular belief, tie does not go to the baserunner. The rulebook says the runner needs to beat the throw in order for the runner to be safe. In my opinion, Moncada didn't beat it, looked like a tie to me. So I think they got the call right. But what do I know.

I had to check that out. From MLB.com

I am an umpire for Little League. The coach told me that ties go to the runner. I said the batter has to beat the throw to first because there are no such thing as ties. Who is right?
-- L.M.F.

McClelland: That is exactly right. There are no ties and there is no rule that says the tie goes to the runner. But the rule book does say that the runner must beat the ball to first base, and so if he doesn't beat the ball, then he is out. So you have to make the decision. That's why umpires are paid the money they are, to make the decision on if he did or if he didn't. The only thing you can do is go by whether or not he beat the ball. If he did, then he is safe.

• Like 1

Just now, SoxAce said:

Timmy isn't that dangerous to be swinging at 3-0.

I don't mind it in general but Wacha has a hard time throwing strikes and you're close to getting him out of there so I'd much rather he take.

1 minute ago, Scoots said:

Thanks for proving my point haha

One thing I know from many years here, statements like this are almost always correct. I only checked because as an English teacher I enjoy the linguistics. They could right the throw has to beat the runner, which would have one meaning, but they wrote the runner has to beat the throw. Edge to defense, which surprises me. 

5 hours ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

Hoping to start a streak, that Cardinals team almost got no hit against a guy making his 1st start...all I heard was my bro b****ing.😄  Would love for him to freak out with Shields shutting them down haha

quoting myself from earlier...Bro is not too happy right now LMAO.  Was watching the game with me, left after the bloop double to Moncada.  12 in a row as of now retired!!!