Sox vs Cards @ Busch, 7:15pm

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

For as good as the prospects that were acquired look, it's stunning how inept this org is at scouting and acquiring veterans.

They were pretty money last season.  You cant hit all the time

15 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

On the off chance that Soria pitched out of his ass and we could move him for a lottery ticket. 

That's what we should be doing with Jones everyone knows Soria is done. That's why we were able to get him in the first place.

2 minutes ago, soxforlife05 said:

I would be. Look what Kahnle brought back last year. Jones isn't Chapman, Miller, etc. If he can string together a good half season or year in the closer's role sell high.

Jones isn't Kahnle either; doesn't have his WHIP, his Ks, or his age, 

And it was Kahnle and Frazier and Robertson who brought back that package (really Rutherford; the other guy was a Rule 5 eligible; and the other a lottery prospect).

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Soria is the perfect closer for a team that wants to tank. I told u all last winter he blows chunks advanced stats be darned. KC fans held a mini parade when they got rid of him.

Mid season last year the White Sox traded there entire bullpen. I thought trading Robertson and Jennings was wrong. I still think it was wrong. I viewed both of those trades as simply salary dumps. They replaced Jennings with Bummer and this year they put Soria in the closers role that Robertson had. Its bad enough this team has Soria as its closer, keep in mind the White Sox are paying this guy 8 MILLION DOLLARS. What a waste of money. Maybe the objective of the management is to lose as many games as possible in order to get a higher draft pick.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Jones isn't Kahnle either; doesn't have his WHIP, his Ks, or his age, 

And it was Kahnle and Frazier and Robertson who brought back that package (really Rutherford; the other guy was a Rule 5 eligible; and the other a lottery prospect).

Frazier was a throw in to get the deal done he had zero trade value. Robertson had very little value with what he was being paid.

Edited by soxforlife05

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

Mid season last year the White Sox traded there entire bullpen. I thought trading Robertson and Jennings was wrong. I still think it was wrong. I viewed both of those trades as simply salary dumps. They replaced Jennings with Bummer and this year they put Soria in the closers role that Robertson had. Its bad enough this team has Soria as its closer, keep in mind the White Sox are paying this guy 8 MILLION DOLLARS. What a waste of money. Maybe the objective of the management is to lose as many games as possible in order to get a higher draft pick.

No, they got talent for those trades, which was exactly the move.  Bullpens can be built when you have a contender, which we do not

The Soria move was roundly cheered last winter on this board. I got roasted. Me and Caulfield were the ones who said how Fathom could whack hit after hit off Soria. For all the peeps on this board who don't want the Sox to spend any money ... you'd think they'd be furious giving Soria that kind of jack (no pun intended). What a joke. He's an embarrassment. I wonder if they'll release him at some point.

Just now, RockRaines said:

No, they got talent for those trades, which was exactly the move.  Bullpens can be built when you have a contender, which we do not

With how much young pitching talent we have in the minors and payroll flexibility I am stunned people don't want to sell high on Jones if the opportunity presents itself.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

The Soria move was roundly cheered last winter on this board. I got roasted. Me and Caulfield were the ones who said how Fathom could whack hit after hit off Soria. For all the peeps on this board who don't want the Sox to spend any money ... you'd think they'd be furious giving Soria that kind of jack (no pun intended). What a joke. He's an embarrassment. I wonder if they'll release him at some point.

I mean. Flipping a closer at the deadline is an awesome way to get talent. I get it 

Just now, soxforlife05 said:

With how much young pitching talent we have in the minors and payroll flexibility I am stunned people don't want to sell high on Jones if the opportunity presents itself.

I would definitely make him the closer and flip him at the deadline. Bullpen arms can be bought and we also have some pen talent in the wings

Soria was signed to pitch in a pen that desperately needed pitchers while some younger pitchers developed in the minors during a development year. That's it, nothing more. We all knew he wasn't the same pitcher he once was so expectations were not high to begin with. This isn't surprising at all.

I do t think Soria getting saves changes his trade value. Any contender wouldn’t be looking to use him as a closer, and people already know he’s closed before. 

Ideally, I’d used him in a flexible set-up role against the weaker spots of lineups to help artificially pad his stats a little bit. But that would be a tough sell to Renteria and the coaching staff. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

If I were you, I’d write a letter to the owner asking to be GM.

I tried that once before. I simply wanted to be interviewed for the GM job but I didn't get a response from JR. I've often wondered if Hahn is really the GM. Does he make the major decisions by himself or is he being  told what to do by JR and Kenny Williams? Spending $8 million dollars on somebody like Soria is nuts.

Okay, let's say we were lucky enough with our crystal ball to have Moustakas at 3rd and Granderson in CF.

Then, you'd have to be even luckier going out into this FA market and buying or acquiring a "really solid/second tier" closer.

That still would leave us in that dreaded 72-86 win range, although the Twins sucking and the Indians not running away with the division would lend one to believe it was at least theoretically possible to be competitive this season.

So it comes down to the "damage" done to the young players of consistently/predictably losing games like this...versus the upside of a 1st round pick in the #2-4 range instead of 8-12 for our scouting department.  Would Moncada be a better player in the future if he walked home with the game-winning RBI's tonight...those things are so difficult to measure.

With so much uncertainty in our starting rotation, though, it's hard to imagine even those THREE additions (costing $20-25 million, maybe $30 million) would be worth it THIS YEAR in the overall scheme of things.

18 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I tried that once before. I simply wanted to be interviewed for the GM job but I didn't get a response from JR. I've often wondered if Hahn is really the GM. Does he make the major decisions by himself or is he being  told what to do by JR and Kenny Williams? Spending $8 million dollars on somebody like Soria is nuts.

This is why the rebuild crap is so annoying. After Soria gives it away, Hahn can take credit for the tank victory. He can pretend it's what he wanted. He can say it's a perfect way to make sure you lose, acquire Soria. Sad.

Edited by greg775

17 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Why didn't you get a Master's degree in Sports Administration and prove yourself in the minor or independent leagues first?  At least you would have some basis to be considered.

Any armchair QB with a rotisserie league team probably fantasizes about being the next Billy Beane or DePodesta, but you have to have a background in analytics/quantitative analysis and strong business, marketing and communication skills as well to succeed in this role.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This is why the rebuild crap is so annoying. After Soria gives it away, Hahn can take credit for the tank victory. He can pretend it's what he wanted. He can say it's a perfect way to make sure you lose, acquire Soria. Sad.

Greg, no GM would ever say that publicly...even if he THOUGHT it.

What closer would you have acquired this offseason?   Even if you spent the money the Dodgers spent to retain Kenley Jansen, it's not like he's been completely reliable (for one of the ELITE closers) the first month or so of the season.

Then we'd all be complaining about spending $15-20 million per season on a meaningless closer to bump up our overall record from 58 wins to 64-66 wins.  And we'd be giving up 6-8 spots in the first round of the draft to do so, not to mention losing draft picks for signing a premium free agent.

49 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

For as good as the prospects that were acquired look, it's stunning how inept this org is at scouting and acquiring veterans.

They didn't do the deal for Soria.  The Soria contract bought them Luis Avilan. Stop fretting over Soria like the Sox actually wanted him.

40 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Jennings?  Lmao.  A middle reliever who was subsequently released by Tampa? Come on.

39 minutes ago, soxforlife05 said:

Who doesn't want to sell on Jones? The problem is he has zero value because of his injury history.