Rutherford/Dunning make Passan's hot sheet list

caulfield12

Blake Rutherford, OF, White Sox (A+): The Yankees stole Rutherford after he dropped in the 2016 draft and sent him to Chicago last season in the Tommy Kahnle-David Robertson trade. While Rutherford still hasn’t come into his power, scouts adore his left-handed swing and see him as the player the Phillies had hoped (Mickey) Moniak might be.

Dane Dunning, SP, White Sox (AA): Dunning is following the same pattern as last season. Destroy a level for four starts, get a promotion to an age-appropriate level and continue working toward the major leagues. The 23-year-old doesn’t have the upside of Michael Kopech or Alec Hansen, but he projects as a back-of-the-rotation type who can rack up strikeouts.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/prospect-heat-check-mlb-ready-19-year-old-hitting-prodigy-203150051.html

Rutherford's results have improved, but right now the process looks the same. Decent but not particularly good plate discipline with slap hitter results. I don't see how he becomes a productive ML hitter without making drastic improvements in his batted ball profile.

Edited by maxjusttyped

Something interesting I've noticed so far....

2016-2017 - 134 games, 10 SB/6 CS

2018 - 18 games, 5 SB/4 CS.

Obviously the SB rate isn't good, never really has been, but I found it interesting how more frequently he is even attempting to steal. He's running about 4x as often so far this season.

We've all heard the story that he grew 2 inches (or 4?) over the off-season, but I wonder if that increase in stride has allowed him to not only get a slightly bigger lead, but also cover more ground, quicker.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

7 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Rutherford's results have improved, but right now the process looks the same. Decent but not particularly good plate discipline with slap hitter results. I don't see how he becomes a productive ML hitter without making drastic improvements in his batted ball profile.

Ya, I am not buying it either. He has a nice average, which is being boosted by a .421 BABIP, but has very little power, not a lot of walks. Fortunately, his defense appears to be solid, but at this rate, he profiles as a 4th OF in my opinion.  Something like Ryan Sweeney with a higher K-rate.

21 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Ya, I am not buying it either. He has a nice average, which is being boosted by a .421 BABIP, but has very little power, not a lot of walks. Fortunately, his defense appears to be solid, but at this rate, he profiles as a 4th OF in my opinion.  Something like Ryan Sweeney with a higher K-rate.

Last year Rutherford struck out 73 times in 440 PAs. In his 06 season (albeit at AAA and notably I'm picking his highest K-rate), Sweeney struck out 73 times in 449 PAs. With how pitching has evolved to aim for higher K-rates...there's not a convincing bid difference in K-rate to me. Maybe 10% higher for Rutherford, so far.

Just to make note of the fact that he is currently hitting .400 vs. RHP. His combined batting average is .342, which leads the Carolina League. 

We're all rightly concerned about his lack of power, but we should be encouraged by his results. Remember, he is young for Advanced A Ball.

32 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

I’m skeptical too. Still hitting a ton of grounders, and as you mentioned the BABIP is unsustainable. 

On the positive side, today is his 21st birthday. He still has time on his side. 

46 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Yeah, you really can't win a championship without any power from your LF.....oh wait.

Edited by soxfan2014

I'm positive on him.

He was moved up despite not dominating low-A at all, and the early returns show he is making good contact. He's at less than 100 PAs still and power can be streaky.

Adjustments can be made. Fully expect Sheets to hit for more power but at this point he has not, but I don't see the handwringing over him yet.

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Blake Rutherford, OF, White Sox (A+): The Yankees stole Rutherford after he dropped in the 2016 draft and sent him to Chicago last season in the Tommy Kahnle-David Robertson trade. While Rutherford still hasn’t come into his power, scouts adore his left-handed swing and see him as the player the Phillies had hoped (Mickey) Moniak might be.

Dane Dunning, SP, White Sox (AA): Dunning is following the same pattern as last season. Destroy a level for four starts, get a promotion to an age-appropriate level and continue working toward the major leagues. The 23-year-old doesn’t have the upside of Michael Kopech or Alec Hansen, but he projects as a back-of-the-rotation type who can rack up strikeouts.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/prospect-heat-check-mlb-ready-19-year-old-hitting-prodigy-203150051.html

I like how the Yankees STOLE him, but we got SENT him.  lol.

20 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Amazing how people just have zero patience at all. Half this forum expects guys to be instant superstars or something. This isn't basketball. It's not how baseball works at a fundamental level. He needs 2-5 years to fill out before you will see the power you are looking for.

Edited by soxforlife05

1 hour ago, soxforlife05 said:

Amazing how people just have zero patience at all. Half this forum expects guys to be instant superstars or something. This isn't basketball. It's not how baseball works at a fundamental level. He needs 2-5 years to fill out before you will see the power you are looking for.

Most of what I remember about Ozzie Albies was from people here saying he had no power profile. Now look at him and it was only a year ago Albies had no power . It's not so much people have no patience it's more like a mix of scouting reports and performance and best guess to be right. Predicting he hits 25 HRs by his 2nd big league season is just too easy to call out so people stick with the conservative approach saying he is what you see at the moment. When you hit for a high average but no power you get the unsustainable BABIP criticism or the doesn't walk enough critique on a guy who just turned 21. I just marvel at the talent and since I can't watch them play every day I surely cannot get critical of them.